My Browser Builds (Part 3)

I thought that most browsers already included this without any need for an extension.

In Chrome-based, you do this by holding Ctrl-Shift down then clicking on the link - the link then opens in a new tab and that new tab is activated.

I know this throws the keyboard into the mix and a context menu would be mouse-only, but does Ctrl-Shift (or similar) do the same thing for FF-based?

FF used to have a browser.tabs.loadInBackground preference setting (set to false for your desired result), unsure if this is still usable in St52.

edit - oops, you did say "without reaching for the keyboard"...  hopefully setting browser.tabs.loadInBackground to false will work for you...

Edited by ArcticFoxie

It's the same in NM and St52, holding Ctrl does this. But my keyboard is tucked away most of the time when just browsing...

I had the setting toggled for some time, didn't like this behaviour as default.

I'd prefer my browsers to behave the same way (when possible).

I have a question about search engine configuration under your Serpent browser.

Is there a way to make a custom configuration? for exemple with MyPal, it is very simple, because you have an `Edit engine` button in the Manage Search Engine List,

For exemple I always use the non-js version of DuckDuckGo go engine (loads much faster), for this I just need to edit the URL. See below for MyPal exemple.

image.png.e7c8b2bc20b0d73b7349cc4c71d052f0.png

Maybe I am missing something there seems to be no such options for Serpent.

My question is how I could manually edit the search engine without having to trust extra plugins.

3 hours ago, RamonUn said:

I have a question about search engine configuration under your Serpent browser.

Is there a way to make a custom configuration? for exemple with MyPal, it is very simple, because you have an `Edit engine` button in the Manage Search Engine List,

For exemple I always use the non-js version of DuckDuckGo go engine (loads much faster), for this I just need to edit the URL. See below for MyPal exemple.

image.png.e7c8b2bc20b0d73b7349cc4c71d052f0.png

Maybe I am missing something there seems to be no such options for Serpent.

My question is how I could manually edit the search engine without having to trust extra plugins.

In Serpent you could do this: bookmark a duckduckgo page, then menu-> bookmark->right click the duckduckgo item under "recently bookmarked"->properties, this will bring up edit dialogue:

2.PNG.650746ebbbbf72ef0a0cdabd3cdcf63d.PNG

Modify as above (you could choose another keyword other than "d"), then you could type "d <query word>" in the address bar.

3 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

Just uploaded new AF build because I'm going to merge `media-works` branch back to master. Before this, I hope people can test if old media-related bugs (such as process can't terminate after audio/video had been played, etc.) are not coming out again.

1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

I hope people can test if old media-related bugs...

First test vanilla: (due to UA probably?) I can't play youtube fro mainpage (your browser can't play this video...) or embedded (loading player...). I can't play FB videos either, and going down the feed eventually results in stuttering. No Silverlight support (which may be dying soon, anyway)

Normal sites: it browses nicely. No issue loading multiple tabs, fast rendering. Chalkboard on par with sp52 with multiprocess (a bit slower, but good).

Thanks! It's good to have a new alternative.

@roytam1

Excuse me to disturb you with something that was maybe already asked, but would it be possible to fix bug #1261585 for Serpent? I encountered this problem when using JustOff's github-wc-polyfill plugin after enabling e10s in Serpent see Issue #33.

I think multi-process mode is amazing on my machine for Serpent but I have to stick to single process mode because of this bug, and I do use GitHub a lot.

Of course it is your call, I understand you have a lot of work and I am very grateful for your work.

5 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Just uploaded new AF build because I'm going to merge `media-works` branch back to master. Before this, I hope people can test if old media-related bugs (such as process can't terminate after audio/video had been played, etc.) are not coming out again.

youtube and facebook videos work by adding lav dll files to installation folder..

live videos in youtuube and facebook not working

"Live event playback is not supported on this client."

5 hours ago, dmiranda said:

First test vanilla: (due to UA probably?) I can't play youtube fro mainpage (your browser can't play this video...) or embedded (loading player...). I can't play FB videos either, and going down the feed eventually results in stuttering. No Silverlight support (which may be dying soon, anyway)

Normal sites: it browses nicely. No issue loading multiple tabs, fast rendering. Chalkboard on par with sp52 with multiprocess (a bit slower, but good).

Thanks! It's good to have a new alternative.

libav DLLs are not bundled, you may need placing files in program folder in order to play avc1/aac streams

2 hours ago, RamonUn said:

would it be possible to fix bug #1261585 for Serpent? I encountered this problem when using JustOff's github-wc-polyfill plugin after enabling e10s in Serpent see Issue #33.

applying this will break another one: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1292586

so there is no way to apply it directly, may require rewriting the whole thing.