My Browser Builds (Part 3)

1 minute ago, ClassicNick said:

@cmccaff1 The reason why I tagged ArcticFoxie is because I thought he would be most likely to reply to my post. I had a feeling New Moon 27 would be the recommended option. I assume New Moon 26 doesn't display MSFN properly is because New Moon 26 doesn't support CSS variables. @ArcticFoxie Confession: I only gave you those 3 options because Feodor2 removed his Mypal, and Mypal27old repositories. I have thought about forking New Moon for when I get a new computer (2023 is my target), and I just want some preparation time first mainly to get it building with my desired build tools.

No worries! I just like to be helpful whenever possible, and the timing was incredible because I was actually considering going back to NM26 (but upon further testing found that NM27 suits my needs more).
Hopefully those old Mypal repositories have been backed up somewhere, because Feodor did some damn good work on it over the years...and I'm sure whatever he does next will also be fantastic.
It seems he may be planning to try and get post-Rust (Quantum) Firefox working in XP--if he pulls it off that would be a massive feat.
'Secret' updated builds of Mypal 27/28 (or if nothing else, one-time 'final' builds of his last updated codebases for 27/28 to port over the cubeb overflow fix) may also be a possibility, though I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

23 minutes ago, cmccaff1 said:

It seems he may be planning to try and get post-Rust (Quantum) Firefox working in XP--if he pulls it off that would be a massive feat.

As Far As I Know, Firefox 60.9.0 is the last version that will work properly with Python 2.7. This is significant because I want a browser that I can build using Mozilla-Build 1.6. I'm not sure of the differences between Python 2.7.0, and Python 2.7.3, but if it's nothing major, I may be able to get up to New Moon 28 working on Mozilla-Build 1.6 someday. New Moon 27 shouldn't be that difficult to get working on Mozilla-Build 1.6 or Visual C++ 2010. I know there are problems with building on Visual C++ 2010 though, but I will try (somewhat) to get those problems resolved.

I have a quick question to which I haven't found a clear solution browsing through the first and last 10 pages of this thread. If it's possible, is there an easy, generic step-by-step guide on how to make old FireFox extensions work with New Moon (and/or Pale Moon) after version 29.1.x? I tried to replace as many extensions as I could with native Pale Moon ones, but there are still some left I can't do without. ;)

There's some mention of an "install.rdf" trick, but I'm not sure how to pull it off. Not all my FF extensions have such a file in their subfolder within my profile folder. Before I mess something up (I'll make backups, but still) I thought I'd ask here first.

Thank you!

8 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I was actually scouring some of my archives for an informed answer and @cmccaff1 posted while I was still scouring.

I agree with everything that @cmccaff1 just posted.

I personally take a "benchmark" approach and one of the benchmarks that I often use is called Basemark Web 3.0  --  https://web.basemark.com/

That particular benchmark would crash NM27 and NM28 - but please note that this pertains to versions a year old or so (I have been focusing more on 360Chrome lately than Roytam builds).

But what I found at that time is that the OLDER (two years old versus one year old) versions of NM27 and NM28 would not crash when running Basemark Web 3.0.

And you tied my hands in only offering those three options because my benchmarks show Mypal to perform better on low end systems.

My personal favorite for low end systems is Mypal version 27.9.4.

Mypal version 27.8.3 is also very good for low end systems.

As is Mypal version 27.6.2.

If I "had to" go with NM27 then my choice would be 27.9.1a1.win32-git-20180707.

That version of NM27 should be able to do take anything you throw at it.

My secondary backup for "modern" compatibility in the rare cases that 27.9.1a1.win32-git-20180707 won't work, I would use NM28's 28.1.0a1.win32-git-20180922.

What about basilisk

1 hour ago, GrandAdmiralThrawn said:

If it's possible, is there an easy, generic step-by-step guide on how to make old FireFox extensions work with New Moon (and/or Pale Moon) after version 29.1.x?

Moon Tester Tool can be used by a monkey to install an extension if its only issue is that it doesn't target Pale Moon. In either case, all extensions come in a form of .xpi file (basically ZIP archive) which contains text install.rdf file, containing basic information about the extension such as GUID, name, version, which applications it targets etc. The Moon Tester Tool basically rewrites the file so the extension targets Pale Moon.

Information about the max version of the target application is ignored unless strict compatibility checking directive is present/enabled. Some extensions contain the directive that the XPI content should be extracted upon installation, for these extensions you should find the original XPI file.

AFAIK, New Moon still accepts extensions targeting Firefox, so if some extension doesn't work, parts of its logic may have to be rewritten to accommodate for changes in the browser core.

I supposed you'd have to find the old documentation for XUL coding and info regarding whatever MCP folks changed that broke the extension to be able to fix, the developer tools baked in the browser may also give hints.

I modified Destroy The Web some time ago to remove dependency on deprecated FUEL, which is long gone from Basilisk and will eventually disappear from Pale Moon as well.

2 hours ago, kwisomialbert said:

What about basilisk

The Basilisk (52) file names will have a -g4.x portion in their file name.

g4.1 and early g4.2 versions were the worst performers as far as benchmark tests.

Early g4.5 seemed fine but by late g4.5 and anything newer all slowed down considerably compared to the g4.3 and g4.4 versions.

And the g4.4 releases tended to slow down a tiny bit with each weekly update.

I'm showing the best Basilisk to be basilisk52-g4.4.win32-git-20190727-9b0ff0e8b-xpmod.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

23 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

The Basilisk (52) file names will have a -g4.x portion in their file name.

g4.1 and early g4.2 versions were the worst performers as far as benchmark tests.

Early g4.5 seemed fine but by late g4.5 and anything newer all slowed down considerably compared to the g4.3 and g4.4 versions.

And the g4.4 releases tended to slow down a tiny bit with each weekly update.

I'm showing the best Basilisk to be basilisk52-g4.4.win32-git-20190727-9b0ff0e8b-xpmod.

:thumbup

On 9/18/2021 at 11:45 PM, feodor2 said:

applied locally. any else is good to apply?

I have a look on your mypal repo but it is hard to distinguish your own commits and upstream commits as they have same author.

Mozilla Firefox 29 and below could store a history eternally. Later Mozilla has deleted this function and limited by 30 days. I need browser for Windows XP 32-bit that can store history eternally. Looks like MyPaul 29.0.1 can, but there is no development more.

Edited by DrunkenTanker

1 hour ago, DrunkenTanker said:

Mozilla Firefox 29 and below could store a history eternally. Later Mozilla has deleted this function and limited by 30 days.

Are you sure about that?

My rarely used FF 48 has most of the history in the "Older than 6 months" section...

On 9/19/2021 at 1:44 PM, UCyborg said:

Moon Tester Tool can be used by a monkey to install an extension if its only issue is that it doesn't target Pale Moon. In either case, all extensions come in a form of .xpi file (basically ZIP archive) which contains text install.rdf file, containing basic information about the extension such as GUID, name, version, which applications it targets etc. The Moon Tester Tool basically rewrites the file so the extension targets Pale Moon.

Information about the max version of the target application is ignored unless strict compatibility checking directive is present/enabled. Some extensions contain the directive that the XPI content should be extracted upon installation, for these extensions you should find the original XPI file.

AFAIK, New Moon still accepts extensions targeting Firefox, so if some extension doesn't work, parts of its logic may have to be rewritten to accommodate for changes in the browser core.

I supposed you'd have to find the old documentation for XUL coding and info regarding whatever MCP folks changed that broke the extension to be able to fix, the developer tools baked in the browser may also give hints.

I modified Destroy The Web some time ago to remove dependency on deprecated FUEL, which is long gone from Basilisk and will eventually disappear from Pale Moon as well.

Alright, thank you very much! I've installed the Moon Tester Tool extension and will give it a shot with a newer version of New Moon after having worked through the remaining npapi exensions. Thing is, more and more sites are starting to break on my 29.1.1 version (actually MyPal at the moment), so I'm hoping that upgrading to a newer version of either MyPal or New Moon will do some good. :)

Your help is appreciated!

On 9/17/2021 at 12:19 AM, mixit said:

Also, :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown to this latest Moonchild nonsense. I would really like to hope that this is just a knee-jerk reaction and they'll eventually come to their senses, but at this point that hope is pretty slim...

Come to their senses? No way. They in full blown war with they own community. And while community begged them for peace and try to found common ground, they just keeping punching down.

2021-09-20_053510.png

Edited by Rod Steel