My Browser Builds (Part 3)

I won't get away from Pale Moon either, because their product is a proper browser, but after seeing this war unfolding... now, I regret giving them some money at one point. And I've quit their forum, too.

What a missed opportunity to advertise Pale Moon as that ressource-easy that it can even run on an 20 year old Windows XP machine. With a slogan like: "Look, this scrap computer runs Pale Moon. Then yours can run it, too."

In Germany, we say something like: "If the enemy is known, the day has structure." This whole action wasn't rationally thought. There is no threat from the tiny amount of people running the XP browsers. It's just to be able to use laws. But laws aren't useful all the times! Dammit Moonchild and Tobin! Which advantages do you hope to get through shredding the Mypal project?

Roytam and Feodor2, I'd like you to tell the community about this if you have to get involved in any kind of legal troubles. Maybe some money can be thrown together to a reasonable sized heap then to absorb the financial impact. Of all the projects, your browsers are the most important programs for the long-abandoned operating system to be able to use them as daily drivers.

9 hours ago, roytam1 said:

so "the larger work" is mozilla, not palemoon.

Right! Firefox, Palemoon, MyPal, Basilisk, Centuary and etc. are not larger work. So, Moonchild team just breaks MPL 2.0, not others.

I think that if we unite we can develop nice browser for  Windows XPl,, not woerse than Firefox 29

5 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

I won't get away from Pale Moon either, because their product is a proper browser, but after seeing this war unfolding... now, I regret giving them some money at one point. And I've quit their forum, too.

I have not donated any project for long time since all I did went undesirable path. They discourage peoples from donating to actually good projects since fear from wrong path.

5 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

What a missed opportunity to advertise Pale Moon as that ressource-easy that it can even run on an 20 year old Windows XP machine. With a slogan like: "Look, this scrap computer runs Pale Moon. Then yours can run it, too."

In Germany, we say something like: "If the enemy is known, the day has structure." This whole action wasn't rationally thought. There is no threat from the tiny amount of people running the XP browsers. It's just to be able to use laws. But laws aren't useful all the times! Dammit Moonchild and Tobin! Which advantages do you hope to get through shredding the Mypal project?

It is because supporting legacy os kills "professional look" for some reason. It is some twisted image on many peoples head that professional only run latest and (not) greatest operating systems and softwares and other only stupid diehard peoples run anything older. And many peoples try to be like that. I remember one place how they spoke how some stupid peoples without knowledge want still run XP when support ended and how companies think their benefit when dropping sw support and how professional uses Windows 8.1.

Well I am professional and work with servers and run XP and 98lite on my personal machines for most part and can say running XP requires much more knowledge than buying laptop with win10 preinstalled, downloading chrome to watch cat videos on facebook. I got knowledge and experience run OS I want as daily driver. And running old hw and os does not mean all software must be old. I am also running linux dualboot on many of my machines where new Windows wont even boot and works great.

And if professionals do not use old OS why many CNC machines I seen on production runs Windows 98, 95, 2000 etc? Because software been many times designed for those and system and upgrade would break them. Those are used do very precise PROFESSIONAL work. I have seen lab equipment running Windows 3.1 on 486 since it used ISA card and seen water quality analyser lab computer running Windows 95 and those two are not professional systems?

I got nothing against running latest os just want peoples realise "Professional" image is made by companies to increase sales

36 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

In the good old days it was straightforward to clone the GitHub Pale Moon repo and build yourself.

I see it is now on repo.palemoon.org and you need an account.

With the TOR browser you get: 403 Forbidden

And now this:

spacer.png

I can't call this open source any more...

Well palemoon developers hates tor and other anonymisers. Peoples who block tor does not realise some peoples have genuine need to use it.

Maybe I could start recommending against palemoon since they hide source code from public and may have something to hide on code and recommend use it forks instead. That is not lie, if they do not let everyone access source code and could maybe make developers come back to senses when get bad image

7 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Roytam and Feodor2, I'd like you to tell the community about this if you have to get involved in any kind of legal troubles. Maybe some money can be thrown together to a reasonable sized heap then to absorb the financial impact.

What are you talking about? Feodor2 is from Ukraine. Roytam1 is from Hong Kong. According to Ukrainian constitution only Ukrainian laws are legal on territory of Ukraine. I'm pretty sure same is in Constitution of China. So any threats of Tobin is absolutely empty. Don't fall to this old american buzz "uuuu, ama goona sue u!!!111". Tobin, you will sue ZERO people in Ukraine and ZERO in China. Because this is different countries then yours. So you can go screw yourself. You can't even ban anyone here, in fact YOU ARE BANNED HERE, Tobin.:lol:

Edited by Rod Steel

I personally disagree and see no "legal" reason to ever need anything like Tor.

If you need THAT level of "anonymity", then I firmly believe that you are breaking a law somewhere, accessing "illegal" sites, browsing the "dark web".

I also have family that work for various departments within Law Enforcement and have friends that work for the FBI.

If you are doing something so "shady" that you only do it on some "Tor network", then rest assure, you WILL be found!

Apologies for that "rant"...

On 9/4/2021 at 11:46 AM, Rod Steel said:

What are you talking about? Feodor2 is from Ukraine. Roytam1 is from Hong Kong. According to Ukrainian constitution only Ukrainian laws are legal on territory of Ukraine. I'm pretty sure same is in Constitution of China. So any threats of Tobin is absolutely empty. Don't fall to this old american buzz "uuuu, ama goona sue u!!!111". Tobin, you will sue ZERO people in Ukraine and ZERO in China. Because this is different countries then yours. So you can go screw yourself. You can't even ban anyone here, in fact YOU ARE BANNED HERE, Tobin.:lol:

Agreed!

I kind of wondered if Tobin had an account here, I thought I saw posts by him in the past but I stopped using Mozilla-based and went Chromium-based at the early offset of all this "chaos" so stopped following as closely as I used to.

I think you can still read content here when you are banned, not positive though.

But you definitely cannot log in and do any posts.

16 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I personally disagree and see no "legal" reason to ever need anything like Tor.

(offtopic)

For people under oppressive regimes, dissidents, journalists, the military, etc. it's a valid and legal option.

From Wikipedia:

The core principle of Tor, Onion routing, was developed in the mid-1990s by United States Naval Research Laboratory employees, mathematician Paul Syverson, and computer scientists Michael G. Reed and David Goldschlag, to protect U.S. intelligence communications online.

Sure, there are people who abuse it for nefarious purposes.

But there are enough that have a good reason to make use of it.

1 hour ago, nicolaasjan said:

In the good old days it was straightforward to clone the GitHub Pale Moon repo and build yourself.

I see it is now on repo.palemoon.org and you need an account.

With the TOR browser you get: 403 Forbidden

And now this:

spacer.png

I can't call this open source any more...

So, they are breaking the license now? The same one they used against Feodor?