My Browser Builds (Part 3)

1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

actually impossible. https://hackaday.com/2018/09/27/can-you-take-back-open-source-code/

(P.S.: I'm not going to jump in this mud fight)

Nor should you...you haven't done anything wrong in this or any other case, and your health and well-being should always come first. Thank you for all of your great work over the years!
Rest assured--it is never in vain, and never taken for granted!

8 hours ago, roytam1 said:

(P.S.: I'm not going to jump in this mud fight)

A very wise decision, why give them an extra opportunity to disparage you.

I think I should rephrase what I was trying to say before. I think people might want to read the Github thread to be aware of what's happening - but only those who a) have something useful to add that hasn't already been brought up and, b) can restrain themselves enough to remain polite should go over there to add their thoughts. They can of course also do it here, but the Github issue is more of a place of record. I myself might have met a) in the early stages but b) was pretty doubtful. At this point, a) is also doubtful.

@XP2003 Yes, I've seen it. Gotta "love" that one guy actually demanding jail time for @feodor2... :thumbdown

I'm reminded of a quote from an R. K. Narayan book about Indian mythology, where he describes asuras (demons) as "strong-minded, intelligent, and capable of offering arguments to establish that they are righteous, and all others are evil-minded". He then adds "They succeed - but, [...], only for a while; sooner or later they are overcome." Let's hope for that. (It's not my style to compare people to demons, but the comparison comes to mind when someone is so incredibly insistent to enforce the letter of the law at the expense of the spirit of it, for very questionable reasons and with clearly damaging cansequences.)

I'm no lawyer and I haven't fully followed all of this "mud fight", but there are slander laws here in the US where Tobin could serve jail time.

And unless I'm mistaken, those laws also could be used by MSFN to sue Tobin for his remarks against this community.

But at the same time, why would MSFN want to jump into this "mud fight"?

I seem to recall a time where there were rumors that Microsoft was going to "come after" MSFN - or was that nLite, I guess I don't recall because I didn't follow that "mud fight" very closely either.

No dog in the fight...

Not sure if this is happening to anyone else, or if anybody will be able to replicate this, but I'm currently unable to add search engines to Serpent (52 or 55) or New Moon (27 or 28).
I'm sure this was an intentional move on MCP's part, breaking certain things to ensure that more people use the 'genuine articles'.

Edited by cmccaff1

On 8/30/2021 at 7:51 PM, cmccaff1 said:

Not sure if this is happening to anyone else, or if anybody will be able to replicate this, but I'm currently unable to add search engines to Serpent (52 or 55) or New Moon (27 or 28).

Try add_to_search_bar-2.9-fx pm.

But please, don't touch the code ;P

1 hour ago, cmccaff1 said:

I'm sure this was an intentional move on MCP's part, breaking certain things to ensure that more people use the 'genuine articles'.

F@#$ them - Use the source, Luke

Huge collection here

Oh, wow!
Thank you for pointing that out!
It's been so long since I last used the Mycroft site, and it's definitely more efficient than going through the Pale Moon or Basilisk websites (they've got a LOT more engines you can add, too).

Edited by cmccaff1

There is a search plugin creator that works with New Moon 28. You can set up an icon so the entry is clearly identifyable.

http://ready.to/search/en/

Why is this basic functionality not part of any Firefox flavor? It is a simple preset with a few values, that does not deserve to be called a "plugin". It is a major inconvenience to find and install an extension. I come from Opera, and it was there (except the icon is automatic and Google was forced with the last versions).

On 8/29/2021 at 10:16 PM, mixit said:

Have you guys been following the discussion (I use the term generously) regarding Tobin's demand that @feodor2 remove his contributions at @feodor2's repo? Sparks are definitely flying there (172 posts as of now), though unfortunately the situation as such is as far from a reasonable solution as ever. Among other things, as could be expected, MSFN members and XP fans in general are once again getting portrayed as incorrigible criminals, etc. etc. by you know who. :thumbdown Fortunately for me I'm not on Github, so it's easier to resist the urge to get into it with Tobin and Co., because I'm afraid I could seriously blow my fuse there... :realmad: Fortunately they have received some fierce opposition as well; I only recognized @dmiranda from here, but there's even a Christian pastor on their case. :worship: If you think your nerves can handle it, take a look if you haven't yet. In some sense, maybe I shouldn't urge others to participate there when I won't be doing it myself, but if you have any good ideas, @feodor2 could certainly use them and your support in general. I very much doubt anyone could convince Tobin to come to his senses, though... I sincerely hope @roytam1 remains careful enough not to give them an excuse to do a similar thing to him.

well remember what Moonchild(ish) devs did to Openbsd build of palemoon? Attacked against it for licence violation only because it was "deviating from official configuration". Ironically Palemoon originally supposed to fix issues Firefox had (addon blocking, removal of useful features) but it is slowly becoming same as firefox :no:. What next? Maybe load tons of telemetry and useless bloat like Mozilla? I hope forks of it wont die off but future seems dark for now

1 hour ago, kwisomialbert said:

I just noticed that NM27 has youtube mobile mode 😍😍 ...very fast

Great job Roytam..

Since when ? Nm28 also?

it is quite fast but it is quite awkward for desktop users.

and I have no plan to put this change to UXP based browsers since UXP works a bit better than goanna3 engine.

For what it's worth and if I'm not mistaken NM27 is the only browser for which Roy offers 4 optimized versions (Win32/SSE/IA-32/Win64)
That makes it a safe choice for all XP-compatible hardware because it works on anything that can run XP (including pre-MMX Pentium). I'm considering going back to NM27 myself because it does run a bit faster than NM28 on all of the machines I've tried, works flawlessly with mobile YouTube, and still supports most websites to this day.

By the way, everyone, I apologize if I've made a bad impression with anything I've done or said. I wanted to stay quiet and simply remain a silent but appreciative observer, but after seeing the situation with Feodor I had to speak up.
Hopefully I won't be too much of a nuisance from now on...I'm interested in and passionate about XP just like everyone else here, but I don't want to waste anyone's time (especially as I can't contribute much on the programming front, since coding isn't my strongsuit).
I'm grateful to Roy and everyone else here for their efforts.
I just don't want to seem like a parasite...please rest assured, I NEVER take your hard work for granted.