My Browser Builds (Part 3)

4 hours ago, j7n said:

I chose Pale Moon over Firefox ESR because of conventional compact GUI in the preferences, title bar and status bar, multimedia codecs, less hassle with adding extensions, and less stuff to that needed to be disabled out of the box.

Palemoon is slowly going firefox way due hostitle developer and recent stupid decisions example blocking addons like noscript since "security issues" or other stupid reason like mozilla, blocking XP support and trying make everyone believe palemoon cannot run on XP or vista. List would go on for miles but latest bad decision killing legacy ff addon support, for no good reason. But luckily like any foss software if someone takes undesirable path fork will appear without those issues. For Windows newmoon and also Mypal which address those issues. For linux there webbrowser that is palemoon without antifeatures. But otherwise it code is very good and it is more like what firefox used to be back in day before turning it bloat. I hope moonchild devs would stop being stupid on some decisions.

5 hours ago, j7n said:

Although both programs should be the same under the hood, Pale Moon seemed significantly slower with heavy websites.

it is due chrome optimised javascript. I generally browser very minimal amount of web these days mostly js blocked and if site refuses show me few text line without js I got no reason visit it. Some sites actually uses javascript to display text instead of using normal HTML

5 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I'll certainly consider New Moon as an option if (and when) I have to finally abandon Firefox 52.9 ESR.
At the moment I keep it mainly because it still works fine 90% of the time, and it synchronises with my other Firefox browsers on Windows 10 :ph34r: and on my phone.

I do not know from android side (nokia 6110 cannot run firefox :buehehe:)  but I used to have dualboot on my machine too. What I did was using profile manager made shared drive with custom profile accessible by both operating systems. That way I was able "sync" data between profiles. Of course that means need same browser on both sides, but that is one option. Not sure if can sync between New Moon and firefox somehow due code different.

Say, does one actually becomes unfriendly through programming? I mean you're giving commands to your computer constantly. Like a king giving commands consistently to his people. Everything must be rationally planned, not much room for feelings or empathy. There is only 0 or 1. Works or doesn't work. True or false. Friend or foe.

Does that make a programmer incompatible for talking to the users?

I think the Pale Moon developers should smoke some calming substances and chill more or better get a receptionist to deal with the stupid customer's questions. Far too radical behaviour on their message board.

At least old browsers will run as long as we want... 98% of the websites are working fine with older versions of Pale Moon.

1 hour ago, Gansangriff said:

I think the Pale Moon developers should smoke some calming substances and chill more or better get a receptionist to deal with the stupid customer's questions. Far too radical behaviour on their message board.

I don't think that is feasible. The only reason I use their derivatives is because they are adapted by people like @roytam1. Their demeanor and practice is just despicable. With all due respect, and quoting them, butthurt mofos, obviously.

Edited by dmiranda

On 8/15/2021 at 12:29 AM, Dave-H said:

Firefox 52.9.1 ESR

I must ask - does the 52.9.1 ESR contain the "cubeb" fix? I would guess no.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:24 PM, Dave-H said:

Actually AFAIK Roytam1's Serpent is the closest to Firefox 52.9 ESR, not New Moon.

Indeed it is; I use Serpent/UXP as an upgrade to that fireferret (with youtube videos playback broken). Never looked back since. Plus Serpent/UXP scores better on html5test than FF 52 ESR while NewMoon does not if that's of any importance.

@roytam1

It seems, that I found a bug in the New Moon 27: when resuming from the video full screen, controls (including address bar) are invisible (bad sizing?). Bug introduced with palemoon-27.10.0.win32-git-20210717-619c191e4-xpmod-ia32 (SSE and other versions not tested), and still persists (see the attached images). I must restart New Moon to restore the correct looking.

NM20210717_init.png

NM20210717_messed.png

2 hours ago, PPeti66x said:

It seems, that I found a bug in the New Moon 27: when resuming from the video full screen, controls (including address bar) are invisible (bad sizing?).

How are you even able to play YT videos with NM27, huh?!

Anyways, try pressing Alt+V when the controls are missing. Does the menu bar show up? Only a menu without the menu bar? What is checked in View > Toolbars ?

Also, check if it happens with a clean profile - copy your NM27 shortcut and add " -P" to the target field, so it looks like "palemoon.exe -P", start that and make a new profile.

@RainyShadow

YT videos works like a charm, with the ADBlock Lattitude even without those (first 5sec unskippable) annoying ADs. Only javascript processing is very slow.

By pressing Alt+V, it shows: +Menu Bar, +Navigation Toolbar, -Bookmark Toolbar, +Status Bar. Disabling then Enabling does not help. It seems, that these toolbars are present, but are hidden by incorrect size settings.

Forgot to mention, that happens even with clean profile.

@RainyShadow

Yes, also on other sites (vimeo.com, mojevideo.sk, indavideo.hu) - seems to be a common problem, when video was set to fullscreen. (The F11 sullscreen seems to be OK, but it does not restores the interface messed by video fullscreen mode.)

OK, just tried myself - same bug.

If you disable the menu bar, the other interface with the "New Moon" button on the top-left becomes useable.

Then, if you enter customization mode, multiple toolbars get stacked on top of each other...

I don't see any possible causes for this bug in the changelog for that build - https://msfn.org/board/topic/182647-my-browser-builds-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=1202418

Maybe something related to this?

On 7/17/2021 at 2:05 AM, roytam1 said:

Bug 909154. Remove the prefixed mozRequestAnimationFrame and its accoutrements. r=bkelly (0257521ce)

Edited by RainyShadow

Another observation: the mentioned version seems to be much less stable than a previously used palemoon-27.10.0.win32-git-20210703-d2029fd84-xpmod-ia32. It is prone to crash within 10 minutes, regardless of number of used tabs (today it crashed at least 3 times - I not counted it exactly).

7 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

OK, just tried myself - same bug.

If you disable the menu bar, the other interface with the "New Moon" button on the top-left becomes useable.

Then, if you enter customization mode, multiple toolbars get stacked on top of each other...

I don't see any possible causes for this bug in the changelog for that build - https://msfn.org/board/topic/182647-my-browser-builds-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=1202418

Maybe something related to this?

yes it does, will have a look on it and try to fix.

EDIT: fixed, will be included in next build.
https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon27/commit/f790982a7dd54d64b274a7537dd84d1becac119d

Edited by roytam1

I think i found a bug in New Moon. Probably it is in Pale Moon too. NM28 often not show high resolution images.

Examples:

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/digital/x70/image/ex_01.jpg

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA15417.jpg

The file is downloading, but when it fully loaded, browser does not show it. It happens sometimes with very high resolution images, like way beyond 1000 pixels, like 3000 or 4000 or 5000 pixels.

1 hour ago, Rod Steel said:

I think i found a bug in New Moon. Probably it is in Pale Moon too. NM28 often not show high resolution images.

Examples:

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/digital/x70/image/ex_01.jpg

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA15417.jpg

The file is downloading, but when it fully loaded, browser does not show it. It happens sometimes with very high resolution images, like way beyond 1000 pixels, like 3000 or 4000 or 5000 pixels.

Hmm...

These 2 work here in NM 28.

spacer.png