My Browser Builds (Part 3)

Hi

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Dear @IXOYE

vandal-1.1.0-fx.xpi is yet another Firefox-targeting Web Extension that will not install on Serpent, because it's a type of WE called an "id-less" one... I have in the past, over many occasions, explained ad nauseam the "why" and "how-to" install such WEs on Serpent...

Thank you VistaLover, but after the changes on "manifest.json" this add-on settles well, but does not work on Serpent.

It settles on firefox52 but does not work either ... brief ... trash:thumbdown

10 hours ago, VistaLover said:

. . . transplanting a Fx profile onto St52 (or, worse, to St55) is a sure recipe for profile corruption, often times beyond repair!

Agree "for the most part".

It has worked for me but I never have more than SIX add-ons (NONE of which are of the Web Extension variety).

I'm actually not a fan of St52 or St55 (so for that I will have to concede to "will have to take your word for it") and have basically only used this for Mypal and New Moon - but it has ALWAYS worked.  :angel

My "base" is Mypal v27.9.4 and that profile seems to ALWAYS be "backwards compatible" with EVERYTHING ELSE.

So apologies for any mis-information.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

On 5/26/2021 at 5:48 AM, IXOYE said:

but after the changes on "manifest.json" this add-on settles (... installs?) well,
but does not work on Serpent.
It settles (... installs?) on firefox52 but does not work either

Well, for future reference:
1. Mozilla do not currently check whether a WebExtension (WE) hosted on AMO works as expected with older Firefox versions :realmad: ;

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vandal-navigator/versions/

reports that "Works with firefox 48.0 and later", but this is an automated setting generated by AMO infra based on the sheer fact it's a WE add-on... :angry: Considering this is a very recent extension, I seriously doubt its author has checked its proper functioning outside of latest release Firefox (88.0.1) and, possibly, latest FirefoxESR (78.x.x)...

2. If you plan to install a WE add-on on Serpent, first make sure it properly works in FxESR 52; if it does, then proceed to install on St52 (with "workarounds" if it's of the id-less type), but even then it's not a given it'll properly work under St52, because of a crippled set of WE-APIs there... This is something I highlighted already in my previous post

On 5/25/2021 at 8:12 PM, VistaLover said:

St52 != FxESR 52.9.0, especially with regards to WE APIs, so installing in St52 won't guarantee perfect functioning...

On 5/26/2021 at 7:02 AM, ArcticFoxie said:

So apologies for any mis-information.

:P Well, it isn't like you committed a major mischief :), I simply wanted (again) to spare members here of undesired consequences should they follow the much easier (but perilous) route of profile transplantation between different browser applications...

I was very active in these threads [now renamed "My Browser Builds (Part 1)"] at an era I witnessed the mass exodus (of XP/Vista users) from the deprecated FxESR 52.9.0 to the then current versions of Serpent 52/55, and, against my own due warnings, people chose easiness over was what the "proper" thing to do: they simply migrated their FxESR52 profiles to St... :realmad: - and then I would be "summoned upon" to troubleshoot very "weird" issues that, in the end, were due to this improper profile migration; that at a time when there was even closer proximity between FxESR52 and St52 of 2018... ;)

On 5/26/2021 at 7:02 AM, ArcticFoxie said:

and have basically only used this for Mypal and New Moon - but it has ALWAYS worked.  :angel

Both are forks of the same upstream application, MCP's Pale Moon, but differ as to what development channel they fork; Mypal uses the release (stable) PM channel and NM uses the unstable (dev) PM one... But one should make no mistake: the apps, especially in recent versions, are different enough under the hood that I'd never suggest myself they share the same profile; as you say, it might be much safer to share profiles between Mypal 27 and NM27 but as you move towards more recent codebases, it ceases to be so (e.g., I wouldn't move a Mypal 29.2.0 profile over to NM 28.10.3a1 and vice-versa) ... :whistle:

Of course, it is a trait of the human nature to prefer the easiest/shortest path, so I might sound like "preaching" here :lol: ... But, once you've made your own choice, whatever that is, be prepared to suffer any eventual consequences...

Best regards :)

Palemoon to Mypal:

2a4184374b54d576.png

I installed Palemoon, I set and closed Palemoon. The contents of the profile removed leaving xulstore.json. I paste the crowding of mypal profile without xulstore.json. I have a strange browser. Is it useful? Many extensions from mypal does not work with Palemoon.

14 hours ago, kitaro1 said:

Many extensions from mypal does not work with Palemoon.

Since recently, Pale Moon blocks extensions that do not comply with their new standards...

Try this under Preferences ---> Security:

spacer.png

Edited by nicolaasjan

1 hour ago, nicolaasjan said:

Try this under Preferences ---> Security:

I did so and failed.

No way. Palemoon is from windows 7+. Mypal is from XP +. Tobi successfully destroyed popular extensions for older versions. I copied and pasted extensions, unpacked xpi. I have achieved nothing. I only have uBO legacy. Mypal and Tobi? :realmad:

2 hours ago, kitaro1 said:

I did so and failed.

No way. Palemoon is from windows 7+. Mypal is from XP +. Tobi successfully destroyed popular extensions for older versions. I copied and pasted extensions, unpacked xpi. I have achieved nothing. I only have uBO legacy. Mypal and Tobi? :realmad:

Do you have this part in "install.rdf" in the xpi files:

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>27.0.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>29.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

Note the "<em:maxVersion>29.*</em:maxVersion>" line.

Edited by nicolaasjan

Official Pale Moon requires at minimum Win7, so support requests for it should be better directed/placed in the respective OS forums... Be that as it may, if users of PM wish to install "legacy" Firefox-only targeting extensions, against the wishes of PM's makers, the method to go by is probably the one below:

1. First enable the setting pointed out by @nicolaasjan, i.e. PM won't block any blacklisted add-ons
(the same setting can be achieved via about:config, by disabling the blocklist completely,

extensions.blocklist.enabled => false

or, alternatively, render it ineffective by setting

extensions.blocklist.level => 3

2. Install in PM the latest version of JustOff's Moon Tester Tool:

https://github.com/JustOff/moon-tester-tool/releases/tag/2.1.3

3. Have the "legacy" Fx-only targeting add-on available in the form of an .XPI file, saved on disk; the latter can be obtained from CAA, other online repositories or, possibly, copied from the profile of another application where that add-on was already installed (limited to extensions that were not unpacked during installation) ...

4. Use the .XPI file(s) to install in PM with the aid of MTT (Moon Tester Tool); the extension(s) will appear inside PM's add-on manager (AOM) with a [TEST] prefix; those extensions won't be auto-updated, but this isn't an issue for unmaintained legacy Fx extensions, completely forsaken by their original authors... :(

However, I don't see the reason myself why you should choose official PM if on Win7+ over either Mypal/New Moon; these two browsers do not impose any restrictions upon legacy Fx add-ons and, to the best of my knowledge, will launch and run without issues on OSes other that XP... :)

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182647-my-browser-builds-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=1200309

User @rereser did post below (URL above) with SOLUTION to the situation.
I just BLOCKED in uBlock Origin (UBO Extension) that 'Adobe' website ...
adobedtm.com
And the problem is SOLVED ... THANKS so much , I would never have known ... :worship:

(My Original Message Content, left in place below, to describe situation)

I am having strong problems to load pages (articles)
on these two major USA News websites. Which, they would be:

https://www.nbcnews.com ... (and) ... https://www.msnbc.com

(Note: I should have said 'Error with a NON-RT Browser too' -- as more accurate)
So, this happens with ALL RT Browsers, in fact ALL Browsers for WinXP OS:

(1) The HOMEPAGE does NOT load on the first try.
... I have to REFRESH(s) reload it, then I see it.
(2) IF I then try to open a URL from the HOMEPAGE
... For an ARTICLE, it only shows a BLANK PAGE.
... But, the HTML CODE is there inside of the
... 'VIEW SOURCE CODE' if I open that via Browser.

Is ANYONE ELSE seeing this as I am ???

Edited by TechnoRelic

1 hour ago, TechnoRelic said:

First link:

BxzHJ0z.jpg

Second link:

LQQ5fma.jpg

What errors/warnings does the Web/Browser console print?

Have you tried loading those URIs in fresh browser profiles?

All OK here,,, ;)

Hi

11 hours ago, TechnoRelic said:

I am having strong problems to load pages (articles)
on these two major USA News websites. Which, they would be:

https://www.nbcnews.com
(and)
https://www.msnbc.com

So, these URLs above are affiliated websites.
They are both owned by NBC.COM firm.

So, this happens to me with ALL the RT Browsers.
And I even installed MYPAL Browser, same problem.

(1) The HOMEPAGE does NOT load on the first try.
... I have to REFRESH(s) reload it, then I see it.
(2) IF I then try to open a URL from the HOMEPAGE
... For an ARTICLE, it only shows a BLANK PAGE.
... But, the HTML CODE is there inside of the
... 'VIEW SOURCE CODE' if I open that via Browser.

Is ANYONE ELSE seeing this as I am ???
This has been happening for a couple days now.

NEITHER of these URLs below will OPEN for me
in ANY RT Browser , or ANY Browser (MyPal).

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/tiger-woods-discusses-recovery-first-interview-car-crash-n1268898

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/why-biden-s-6-trillion-budget-proposal-essentially-meaningless-n1268882

IF this is some HACK that was 'perped' on my WinXP Home OS (32bit),
then count me as IMPRESSED by it.

Other websites (News) seem working FINE for me.

I have exactly the same problem with his links, it does not work on Firefox 52.9,Mypal ,Centaury, Serpent 52/55,Newmon 27/28, Bnavigator, Firefox 45.9.33, Iceape-upx and Otter-browser on windows XP:thumbdown

It works very well if you use a proxy on all these browsers
PROXY

I think the problem is " https://www.msnbc.com " which poses a problem with OS XP   ":no:

Edited by IXOYE

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182647-my-browser-builds-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=1200309

User @rereser did post (next message) below (URL above) with SOLUTION to the situation.
I just BLOCKED in uBlock Origin (UBO Extension) that 'Adobe' website ...
adobedtm.com
And the problem is SOLVED ... THANKS so much , I would never have known ... :worship:

(Leaving in place most of what I originally said in this message, as 'record' of sorts)

@IXOYE , @VistaLover , @RainyShadow , @XPerceniol  <--

THANKS to Reply to me here on this ODD WinXP OS situation.

To 'IXOYE' especially , I say 'Misery Loves Company' ...
NOT quite thankfully , I am 'pleased' to know that
someone ELSE ('IXOYE') WAS (is) 'suffering' too ... ;)

Edited by TechnoRelic