My Browser Builds (Part 3)

3 minutes ago, luweitest said:

It shouldn't need install I think, just a web application run inside browser.

I think the addon only calls the client. But as I said, I could only test on firefox. What is the addon (extension) you are using?

1 hour ago, dmiranda said:

I think the addon only calls the client. But as I said, I could only test on firefox. What is the addon (extension) you are using?

No add-on and client is needed. You can use browser only:

2.PNG.ff6bd4da47fbd1d611e1866ead72c780.PNG

My problem is it complains that audio do not work:

1.PNG.cc0bf28c837d27ccdc6447898df4eaad.PNG

Video received OK, and chat works.

p.s. Chrome 49 has the same problem.

Edited by luweitest

On 5/10/2021 at 8:47 PM, roytam1 said:

that's because there is still containing preprocessor directives,
while upstream has them removed earlier.

Many thanks for your explanation! :thumbup

Perhaps it was just me, but my initial distinct impression was that "upstream" had somehow "goofed up" - period (and it wouldn't be the first time :angry: ... ); since "we" were the first to compile that "new" code, "we" were the ones to first discover the AOM's breakage...

When "they", in turn, compiled the official UXP/PM master branches (latest Pale Moon 29.3.0a1), I searched the official forums for reports of broken AOM in 29.3.0a1, but I couldn't find any... :dubbio: I then did a check myself, as reported here...
To cut a long story short, only "our own" version of UXP was "messed up", due to existing differences compared to upstream UXP...
This is understandable, but yet another lesson why "upstream" code shouldn't be merged lightheartedly... :sneaky:

Thanks again, keep up the excellent efforts! :)

On 5/11/2021 at 10:09 PM, luweitest said:

just a web application run inside browser.

On 5/11/2021 at 10:39 PM, luweitest said:

My problem is it complains that audio do not work:

p.s. Chrome 49 has the same problem.

Hi :) ; I don't use Zoom myself, but just to humour you, I decided to follow the procedure required on:
https://zoom.us/test

Of course, I did reproduce your findings in latest Serpent 52.9.0, but then decided to also test on EOL'ed FirefoxESR 52.9.x, which is the immediate ancestor to St52, with even more WebAPIs present compared to the ones left (by MCP) in St52 ... :angry:; perhaps unsurprisingly, the same story goes there, too:

APje69o.jpg

I think I've said it before elsewhere, but we should be really glad for all the sites we can visit and all services we can use with these MCP browser forks;, for the latest "fancy" things of Web 2021 that don't work, well, learn to live with it or find workarounds (when available...).

MCP ("upstream") themselves advise their users to have an alternate, Chromium-derived, browser handy for these "non-working" cases; of course, "their" users are already on Win7+, switching to the latest Chromium-derivative there is easy :sneaky:; sadly, not the case for us still on XP/Vista... :(

The Zoom staff do currently support XP+Vista :thumbup, if you visit their site with an XP/Vista useragent, you are offered file ZoomInstallerXP.exe (SHA-1 signed on June 2nd 2020); so I kindly advise you to take their offer if you're inclined to use Zoom Meetings on XP...

I highly doubt (but can't test now) official Basilisk's ability to use "in-browser" Zoom; it still is FxESR 52 based and MCP haven't done much to update its WebRTC implementation... OTOH, Zoom mandate you use the "latest" version of a Chromium-based browser (Google Chrome, MS ChrEdge) or Firefox (aping Chromium in its web compatibity), so, as has been already discussed, modern web applications are being developed with Chromium in mind... :angry:

As a last thing, I decided to put on "Zoom" test the 3 flavours of 360EE I have available here;
v11 (Chromium 69 based) demands I first grant permission to zoom.us to access my cam and mic

oWESBjU.jpg

Once I OK'ed to that and joined, I only get a prompt to update my browser for better audio quality, not that the computer's audio device is inaccessible (the case with St52+FxESR52):

mxNFH3E.jpg

v12 (Chromium 78 based) exhibits the exact same behaviour as v11; lastly, v13 (Chromium 86 based), as it's based on a fairly recent version of Chromium, doesn't even display the prompt to update browser:

HptmI7I.jpg

Since my tests were done on Vista SP2 x86, YMMV on actual XP... ;)

Regards :)

Edited by VistaLover

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Since my tests were done on Vista SP2 x86, YMMV on actual XP... ;)

Thanks for your through test. So it seems some audio related APIs (are they standardized?) is only present in the newest chrome browser. But due to strong disapproval of 360's malware, I'd rather install zoom's client if I have urgent need to run zoom on PC.

p.s. I advise you not using 360, strongly; and less strongly,  zoom, for it's also reported to be censored by PRC, which I think is normal if it is developed and operated by chinese.

Edited by luweitest
ps

1 hour ago, luweitest said:

Thanks for your through test. So it seems some audio related APIs (are they standardized?) is only present in the newest chrome browser. But due to strong disapproval of 360's malware, I'd rather install zoom's client if I have urgent need to run zoom on PC.

p.s. I advise you not using 360, strongly; and less strongly,  zoom, for it's also reported to be censored by PRC, which I think is normal if it is developed and operated by chinese.

<OT>

actually zoom itself is kind-of china related BTW.

</OT>

6 hours ago, luweitest said:

. . .  for it's also reported to be censored by PRC, which I think is normal if it is developed and operated by chinese.

I sometimes really just can't help but laugh at some of the conspiracies that run rampant in these hallways.

You don't trust Chinese software, I get it.  You don't trust Russian software, I get it.

But how about a little perspective here!

The UNITED STATES is number 2 on the list of top hacking countries worldwide!

China is #1, USA is #2, Turkey is #3, Russia is #4, Taiwan is #5, Brazil is #6, Romania is #7.

That ordering was true in a 2012 article and remained the same order in a 2019 article - I'll leave the Google/Bing/Duck searches for your own free time.

And, um, roytam1 is Chinese - I'll ask this, where do you think top Chinese Hackers got their start?  Maybe by doing projects like roytam1?  What will roytam1 be doing 30yrs from now?

No offense to roytam1, I/we really do love your work!

But come on, does MSFN really have to be so chock full of anti-this, anti-that at every turn of the corner?

But I digress...

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I didn't know what part of China you were from.

... Those of us here long enough ;) still remember the "Country Flag" displayed under a user's avatar; so, I have always associated @roytam1 with Hong Kong and @luweitest with PRC... But the flag feature didn't survive the last major forum overhaul... :( But I, too, digress...

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I sometimes really just can't help but laugh at some of the conspiracies that run rampant in these hallways.
(snipped)
But come on, does MSFN really have to be so chock full of anti-this, anti-that at every turn of the corner?

I actually share the same thoughts... I have long ago realised that "no-one is without sin" (I refer to major application companies irrespective of nationality), so I treat them all alike... For the most part, I don't think I do any thing in particular that would interest NSA/CIA (Google Chrome and related services telemetry), FSB (Yandex Browser and related Russian services telemetry), or President Xi Jinping's agencies (360EE and related Chinese services); now, if I were an industrial or state spy :sneaky:, well, that would change things, but, if you'd believe me, I am simply not! :P

10 hours ago, luweitest said:

I advise you not using 360, strongly

St52 by Roy is my main browser here, but I do use 360EEv12 (Russian portable re-pack) for those Chromium-only sites... :) uBlock0 & Privacy Badger are used to minimise tracking (somewhat); for those feeling really uncomfortable with that browser, there's a dedicated thread in our Forum with many additional tips and a (rather long) list of IPs to block for "better" privacy... :whistle:

10 hours ago, luweitest said:

of 360's malware

While I do appreciate your concerns ;) about the browser, seeing the term malware attributed to it made me smile :lol:, considering 360 Qihoo are primarily a Security and AV firm... :rolleyes:

Best regards

Edited by VistaLover

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

so I treat them all alike... For the most part, I don't think I do any thing in particular that would interest NSA/CIA (Google Chrome and related services telemetry)

~OT~

I don't know; VistaLover; you've surely (wait.. whom is Shirley again??) have seen myself writing here about mister blobfish ... :D You know they all be like, 'we knew it' that is "code" for something sinister ;) When in reality, good old XPerceniol just has (more than 1) screw loose somewhere ... in the computer, of course.

~OT~

Sorry, but thought MSFN could use a little terrible humor. But seriously, I do agree with you, and of course, remember well the country flags under the members names.

Edited by XPerceniol

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

The country flags should still be there, they're just
to the left of the username now instead of below.

Sorry Dave, haven't seen the "flags" myself since many moons ago... :angry:
They are certainly MIA on latest Serpent 52:

qTKH90F.jpg

I accept further discussing this here is OT ;) ; there exists a now LOCKED thread I started in Feb 2020 in the Site & Forum Issues sub-forum where I pointed out last January that the flags had again vanished for good, but, as said, the thread was locked by a mod...

If the flags are there for you (BTW, on which browser?) and you know of a way to bring them back for the rest of us, please come forth... ;)

Cheers :)

Edited by VistaLover

......By the way, it looks like the internet at large will be moving to JPEG-XL instead which combines new compression techniques and considerations employed by Guetzli etc....

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26037&p=206992&hilit=jpeg+XL#p206992

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/05/11/find-out-if-your-browser-supports-the-new-image-format-jpeg-xl/

It would be interesting to know if our browsers will update to the new standard.

21 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Sorry Dave, haven't seen the "flags" myself since many moons ago... :angry:
They are certainly MIA on latest Serpent 52:

qTKH90F.jpg

I accept further discussing this here is OT ;) ; there exists a now LOCKED thread I started on Feb 2020 in the Site & Forum Issues sub-forum where I pointed out last January that the flags had again vanished for good, but, as said, the thread was locked by a mod...

If the flags are there for you (BTW, on which browser?) and you know of a way to bring them back for the rest of us, please come forth... ;)

Cheers :)

How strange, the flags are certainly there for me on Firefox 52.9 ESR.

Image1.thumb.jpg.c5990f9e47adb6bc06def73c313ff663.jpg

They're on every page of the forum in fact.

Image2.thumb.jpg.5f74ad758bee0568ae7cc19fee752748.jpg

Perhaps they're being blocked somehow for you and others.
:dubbio: