My Browser Builds (Part 3)

22 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

On an unrelated topic, when i switched my desktop resolution from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200 to take that screenshot, Serpent52 crashed in xul.dll . Changing back to 1280x1024 proceeded fine though.

I was getting those random crashes for some time in NM27 recently (also in xul.dll) at least 1-2 times a day. I attributed this to the warmer weather and hardware issues cropping-up, but maybe some recent change in the code made it more prone to crashing?

It looks like your old PC is going to die so they're definitely hardware issues. However, you can do some things with your software:

1. Lower refresh rate for 1600x1200 resolution.

2. Turn off hardware acceleration in your browser.

3. Download MSI Afterburner and underclock settings for your graphic card.

4. Underclock your CPU in BIOS settings.

For more helpful hints you should visit some hardware oriented forum, I think.

14 hours ago, roytam1 said:

what's PDF plugin you're using? what webmail you're visiting?

as I can't reproduce here.

Alright Roy, the webmail service is called "mail.de" and for opening (attached) PDF's there's an integrated/onboard PDF-viewer that's popping up. There's no browser plug-in in use.

Opening and viewing/handling documents is no problem at all this way. Only closing documents crashes the browser immediately. The generated console's report after restarting browser is what you got from me.

All I can say is that in the recent past there hasn't been a problem at all, so it must be introduced by changes/modifications you made under the browser's hood.

Will test with an older release and report back to you. Hope that helps...

7 hours ago, Usher said:

It looks like your old PC is going to die so they're definitely hardware issues

So, you just randomly decided to bury my PC?!

Nah, it survived for 20 years, this is nothing. I just need some free time for maintenance :P

9 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

@roytam1

Hi,

With NM28 build 20210320 you have skipped issue 1744.

Pale Moon v.29.2.0 will also introduce an incompatibility in third-party themes.

In NM28 has this incompatibility in third party themes been blocked with skipped issue 1744?

P.S. I use a SeaMonkey theme.:rolleyes:

Best regards.

compatibility of installing 3rd party extensions should be on par with official PM28.

2 hours ago, Dibya said:

Sorry I should have been more specific, I was talking about FFMPEG code inside XUL Platform , I think its called FFVPX(correct me if i am wrong).  FFMPEG does have SSE4 support.

thats auto-detect in runtime

Hey @roytam1,

I got a report that your "NewMoon 27 build" is failing to render Discourse sites, like for example try.discourse.org

I ran a copy locally via emulation and it appears to be a Javascript parsing error:

SyntaxError: missing ; before statement application-860b04b192b4dea3c5cb7e8d5e3d423bcf05a15ff2f4d8faf26a5d550ab169d2.br.js:1:335108

I tested the same site on Firefox 30, and it's running just fine on there. I can't test Firefox 25 as it can't handshake HTTPS using TLS 1.2, which is the minimum nowadays.

Any ideas? Report come in from https://forum.arduino.cc/t/do-you-like-the-new-forum/847695/1086

1 hour ago, FalcoFantastic said:

I got a report that your "NewMoon 27 build" is failing to render Discourse sites....and it appears to be a Javascript parsing error....I tested the same site on Firefox 30, and it's running just fine on there.

New Moon 27’s JavaScript engine should be equivalent to Firefox 38!?

@roytam1

Roy, regarding browser crashing, I just tested with NM Version: 27.9.7 (32-bit) (2021-02-19) and everything went smooth. Opening, viewing and closing PDF's are hassle-free. No crash at all.

So the problem must be browser-related. The above NM version is the last 27.9er before shift to 27.10 branch. Maybe something to go on for you??

Welcome to the MSFN forums, @FalcoFantastic :)

Let me first say I find it highly praise-worthy :thumbup that you are willing to accommodate users of the arduino forums that happen, for various reasons, to be stuck on older hardware/OS that would warrant the use of "niche" browsers like New Moon 27 (NM27) ...

I think it should be first prudent to familiarise you with what exactly NM27 is... ;)

NM27 is an unbranded unofficial fork of version 27 of the Pale Moon browser, originally developed by Moonchild Productions; v27 of PM is no longer maintained by "upstream", they are already at v29 of Pale Moon... 

NM27 is modified to run on at least Windows XP SP3 (original PM27 required at least Vista SP2), it is now being "updated" with code from another upstream project by ArcticFox/rmottola, which tries to "equip" it with features from higher ( > 38 ) Firefox versions...

NM27 is built on a platform originally called Tycho (name given by MCP), itself a fork of Mozilla 38esr (heavily modified along the way...) ; it is being compiled in three flavours, two of which (sse-only/ia32-only) are very popular with members here on old CPUs incapable of SSE2 instruction set ... :(

So, @Vistapocalypse is right when saying that NM27 should be at least on par with Fx38; in fact, I loaded your test URI in Fx38.8.0esr and got the exact same console errors as in NM27:

oTMpIqe.jpg

For my test in NM27 trying to load the new format of the arduino forum, please see this .

Kindest regards :)

Edited by VistaLover

On 4/23/2021 at 5:31 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

@kartel

Regarding Google Drive - it also does not work in Firefox ESR 52.9.0 and nor does it work in Firefox Quantum ESR 68.12.0.

It does work in Firefox Browser ESR 78.10.0 and in Firefox Browser 88.0.

On 4/23/2021 at 5:47 PM, RainyShadow said:

@ArcticFoxie

I just opened my Google Drive in NM27 - it seems fine.

What exactly don't work for you?

[edit]

OK, i found it :P

@kartel @ArcticFoxie use this:

@-moz-document domain("drive.google.com") {
  .boqDrivesharedialogCommonAnimatedfadeContainer.Hidden {
    opacity: 1 !important;
  }
  .boqDrivesharedialogCommonAnimatedfadeContainer.Collapsed {
    visibility: unset !important;
  }
}

Drive constantly spits a f#$kton of errors in the console, ugh. The "Done" button doesn't work here.

You may need to refresh the page to get rid of that overlay.

alt. CSS:

@-moz-document domain("drive.google.com") {
  div[class^="boqDrivesharedialogCommonAnimated"] {
    visibility: unset !important;
    opacity: 1 !important;
    overflow: unset !important;
    height: auto !important;
  }
}

thank you for the replies on this.

Do I inspect element and modify or add rules somewhere?

thank you

👍

5 hours ago, kartel said:

Do I inspect element and modify or add rules somewhere?

Your question reveals that you have a small learning-curve ahead.

But since you already know that you can "inspect element and modify", the learning curve should be small.

"Inspect element and modify" would work - but you would have to "inspect element and modify" EVERY time that you visit Google Drive.

You will need to install an add-on in your NM27.

The add-on is called "Stylem" and can be obtained from here  --  https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/stylem/

You then create a User Style for Google Drive using the CSS that @RainyShadow provided.