My Browser Builds (Part 3)

@Sampei.Nihira:

Pale Moon 29.2.0 will be released on April 29.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=213409&sid=1c34a77e96560ee41145acdfe68ff8cc#p213409

In order to avoid some trick of the "diabolic couple" I have modified my extensions, now all installed extensions have the wording:

"This add-on directly targets New Moon"

Will the "install.rdf" trick still work when 29.2.0 will be released or do they have more drastic plans?

<!-- Pale Moon -->
        <targetApplication>
            <r:Description>
                <id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</id>
                <minVersion>28.0</minVersion>
                <maxVersion>29.*</maxVersion>
            </r:Description>
        </targetApplication>

Roy, latest NM Version: 27.10.0 (32-bit) (2021-04-23) still crashes upon closing PDF-pop-up window in webmail services. Opening document is fine.

Error report is still the same...

7 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Will the "install.rdf" trick still work when 29.2.0 will be released or do they have more drastic plans?

Assuming there aren't any other changes that would require modifying extension's code, it should be enough.

7 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

@Sampei.Nihira:

<!-- Pale Moon -->
        <targetApplication>
            <r:Description>
                <id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</id>
                <minVersion>28.0</minVersion>
                <maxVersion>29.*</maxVersion>
            </r:Description>
        </targetApplication>

The code I used is slightly different from the one you entered:

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
      <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
      <em:minVersion>28.10.0</em:minVersion>
      <em:maxVersion>29.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>

with my code I assume not.

Those who use the original Pale Moon will soon find out.

22 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

The code I used is slightly different from the one you entered:

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
      <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
      <em:minVersion>28.10.0</em:minVersion>
      <em:maxVersion>29.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>

Yeah, I copied the code snippet from the eMatrix extension.

Is anyone able to browse forum.arduino.cc in NM27? Example page - https://forum.arduino.cc/t/driving-a-salvaged-lcd-directly-from-arduino/51558

It appears blank here. If i right-click and select "Inspect", there is content in the DOM, but none of it is rendered.

Also, there are a lot of errors in the web console.

I believe the site was working before in NM27 (not 100% sure though), but recently i am forced to start Serpent52 (which is becoming slower with each passing day) just to check a page on there.

[edit]

Archive of the example page in their older forums - http://web.archive.org/web/20170503044644/http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,51464.0.html

There isn't even an easy way to map new URLs to old ones, ugh...

Edited by RainyShadow

1 hour ago, RainyShadow said:

Is anyone able to browse forum.arduino.cc in NM27? Example page:
https://forum.arduino.cc/t/driving-a-salvaged-lcd-directly-from-arduino/51558
It appears blank here.
(snipped)
Also, there are a lot of errors in the web console.

Same here:

eNY9aML.jpg

The failing javascript code appears to be related to the jquery script below:

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/arduino/assets/ember_jquery-36a23101c869ab0dc53fc908de69adb785731593573d32bdeef416acc1076ef4.br.js

I suspect the "requires Javascript features not implemented in NM27" diagnosis applies here, too... :(

They seem to have switched to new forum software recently...

On an unrelated topic, when i switched my desktop resolution from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200 to take that screenshot, Serpent52 crashed in xul.dll . Changing back to 1280x1024 proceeded fine though.

I was getting those random crashes for some time in NM27 recently (also in xul.dll) at least 1-2 times a day. I attributed this to the warmer weather and hardware issues cropping-up, but maybe some recent change in the code made it more prone to crashing?

Edited by RainyShadow

I have a general BNavigator question regarding my Stylem User Style sheets.

When a username or password is memorized, BNavigator drops down a select-box below the input field.

With no "inspect" utiltiy in BNavigator, how do I find the attributes for this select-box (ie, so I can change the font for example)?

Or is this "browser-level" and beyond Stylem?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

With no "inspect" utiltiy in BNavigator, how do I find the attributes for this select-box (ie, so I can change the font for example)?

Can you run uBlock on that? If so, you can try using the element picker to get a suitable CSS selector.

Or try a bookmarklet with similar functionality.

On 4/24/2021 at 5:56 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

With no "inspect" utility in BNavigator,

Binary Outcast's "DOM Inspector" extension is install-able in Borealis Navigator, perhaps installing that in bnavigator will help?

https://interlink-addons.binaryoutcast.com/addon/dom-inspector/

:dubbio:

In this post of the now closed "Part 2" thread, my friend (I hope) :) @Dave-H  wrote

So, is Firefox 88 actually now a Chromium browser, or is it just aping a Chromium browser?
I thought the Mozilla devs were still working with their own engine, not now using Chromium code.

Well, I didn't say that "current" Firefox is now WebKit/Chromium based per se, did I?
This isn't (yet?) the case of Microsoft Edge abandoning its initial engine (EdgeHTML) in favour of the Chromium one (becoming now what most, affectionately, call "ChrEdge"), or even the case of original Opera moving from Presto to Webkit ...
But, make no mistake, they are using Chromium code inside the current incarnation of their browser engine...
So, technically, not Webkit/Chromium itself, but at the same time very closely related to it (while not being called that) ... :whistle:

In a somewhat broader spectrum, one must take into account the close affiliation that exists between Google and Mozilla:

Mozilla Firefox ships with "Google Search" as its default search engine and this fact alone is a major source of income for Mozilla; Google pay them big because they get to harvest all this telemetry data from Firefox users (not bothered to change the default search engine to something else...). 

Apparently, telemetry data from Firefox is worth a lot to Google, so their devs take extra care when introducing (on their own, most of the times) "new" web standards and other Chrome-isms that these could be ported fairly easily to "current" Firefox; on the Mozilla camp, the devs, via the "Chrome-parity" policy, are quick to implement these Chrome-isms into Firefox, too, because if users leave Firefox (to Chrome) as a result of a popular site (e.g. Facebook) malfunctioning, Mozilla will lose revenue from Google and other sponsors... 

Also, Google do need the existence of at least one other "competitor" (but not really ;) ) browser in the market, or else they'll get hit with anti-trust/monopoly lawsuits in the US and other territories... Do you now see the whole picture?

In closing: Don't be surprised that "things" that are originally designed by Google for Google Chrome work well with latest Mozilla Firefox; it's a case of "symbiosis" between the two... :sneaky:

Cheers (and apologies for the OT...) ;)

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Binary Outcast's "DOM Inspector" extension is install-able in Borealis Navigator, perhaps installing that in bnavigator will help?

Doesn't find a CSS selector for the memorized password dropdown (must be browser-level), but useful tool to keep around, thanks, adding it to the arsenal.

14 hours ago, bernd said:

Roy, latest NM Version: 27.10.0 (32-bit) (2021-04-23) still crashes upon closing PDF-pop-up window in webmail services. Opening document is fine.

Error report is still the same...

what's PDF plugin you're using? what webmail you're visiting?

as I can't reproduce here.

13 hours ago, VistaLover said:

In this post of the now closed "Part 2" thread, my friend (I hope) :) @Dave-H  wrote

Well, I didn't say that "current" Firefox is now WebKit/Chromium based per se, did I?
This isn't (yet?) the case of Microsoft Edge abandoning its initial engine (EdgeHTML) in favour of the Chromium one (becoming now what most, affectionately, call "ChrEdge"), or even the case of original Opera moving from Presto to Webkit ...
But, make no mistake, they are using Chromium code inside the current incarnation of their browser engine...
So, technically, not Webkit/Chromium itself, but at the same time very closely related to it (while not being called that) ... :whistle:

In a somewhat broader spectrum, one must take into account the close affiliation that exists between Google and Mozilla:

Mozilla Firefox ships with "Google Search" as its default search engine and this fact alone is a major source of income for Mozilla; Google pay them big because they get to harvest all this telemetry data from Firefox users (not bothered to change the default search engine to something else...). 

Apparently, telemetry data from Firefox is worth a lot to Google, so their devs take extra care when introducing (on their own, most of the times) "new" web standards and other Chrome-isms that these could be ported fairly easily to "current" Firefox; on the Mozilla camp, the devs, via the "Chrome-parity" policy, are quick to implement these Chrome-isms into Firefox, too, because if users leave Firefox (to Chrome) as a result of a popular site (e.g. Facebook) malfunctioning, Mozilla will lose revenue from Google and other sponsors... 

Also, Google do need the existence of at least one other "competitor" (but not really ;) ) browser in the market, or else they'll get hit with anti-trust/monopoly lawsuits in the US and other territories... Do you now see the whole picture?

In closing: Don't be surprised that "things" that are originally designed by Google for Google Chrome work well with latest Mozilla Firefox; it's a case of "symbiosis" between the two... :sneaky:

Cheers (and apologies for the OT...) ;)

Thank you, that makes the sad scenario very clear.
So basically, they're now all in it together!
:angry:

@roytam1

Hi,

With NM28 build 20210320 you have skipped issue 1744.

Pale Moon v.29.2.0 will also introduce an incompatibility in third-party themes.

In NM28 has this incompatibility in third party themes been blocked with skipped issue 1744?

P.S. I use a SeaMonkey theme.:rolleyes:

Best regards.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira