error 0x80073712 while installing updates in Windows 7

Sergiaws

I recently managed to have Windows update working in Windows 7. After installing some updates, it started to give the error mentioned in the title. I uploaded here two logs, dism's one's and a txt where I show the cmd while I extracted the msu and tried to install it (using the dism and the cab inside it). Sorry for the cmd in Spanish.

logs.zip

For your particular error:

Error: Package_for_RollupFix Error: 0x80073712

Unless another solution presents itself, the DISM log doesn't usually pass failures caused by the OS into the DISM log, but it does reflect this in the file you uploaded. Now CBS log is going to be quite large, so you'll want to look at (or post only) the portion around the same timestamp as the error below.

2021-04-23 10:44:58, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2404 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

I found on a Microsoft forum a posible solution to solve this. Just boot Windows in safe mode or a Live CD and rename the folder %windir%\Software distribution to "Software Distribution.old" (without cuotes). I tried that, but it apparently just restore Windows Update. Here is the cbs log file.

CBS.7z

12 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

As far as I remember, I have it. A page suggested to install it.

So what else do you want to update ? This 0.5 GB package uncludes all of the most needed/wanted/popular updates . Do note , this is v4 , the latest . Perhaps the update you want to install is included in that package already ?

Automatic updates will install telemetry and other bloatware, by the way , there are much simplier ways to remove / rename that folder.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/rename_or_delete_the_software_distribution_folder_in_windows_1087.html

Windows 7 can get support until 2023 (not official), but if I want to get these updates I thought that I might update my system to latest official updates. As far as I know, the update which you mentioned includes updates until 2015. Another option would be to uninstall all updates and update Windows again, or update it manually as I did with Windows XP.

21 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

the update which you mentioned includes updates until 2015

No. The original update package includes everything up to the end of 05/2016 . And v.4 is even newer than the first one.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-for-windows-7-for-x64-based-systems/9fb8206d-3181-4cdd-b08f-f8cd7d596dfb

7 hours ago, Volume Z said:

"Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3125574) is not working at all."

Sounds like good advertising to me. :lol:

I understand this is funny , but the link was given to him just to look at the original release date. This update is working fine for him and for me too . I did a clean install of Win 7 SP1 to test a programme , then installed this package without any troubles. Today I tried to install another updates manually after this huge package , and I didn't see any errors at all. May be a fresh install in this order : 1- Win7 SP1 , 2 - this big (major) update kb3125574-v4-x64 and 3 - all the newer ones later is a good solution .

Edited by Dixel
added the package name

And what was the first version's name then ? I'm just curious . As it clearly says that :

it "...was re-released on September 13, 2016  to address an issue ... to improve the overall reliability of the update rollup" 

(so should be at least two versions , right ? I'm gussing the previous one was removed though)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/july-2016-update-rollup-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-296220e7-3116-2462-0ed1-fe1198875ad6

On 4/28/2021 at 3:37 AM, Volume Z said:

Do you understand that the July 2016 update rollup and the Convenience Rollup is two different rollups?

V4 of KB3125574 has been around since day one.

I was talking about July 2016 Update only , which was re-released in September.

"The July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 was re-released on September 13, 2016 to address an issue in one of the included updates and to improve the overall reliability of the update rollup. Installing this update requires a restart after installation."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/july-2016-update-rollup-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-296220e7-3116-2462-0ed1-fe1198875ad6

Edited by Dixel
anyway , nevermind