how to speed up a slow laptop (or any computer) with vista? (laptop specs included)

legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to what is the best way to speed up a slow windows vista laptop? (laptop specs included)

1 hour ago, VistaEX said:

does anyone know what the best way to speed up a slow windows vista laptop is?....

Of course you could have simply consulted (or resurrected) your February 3 thread on exactly the same topic. Considering you just joined MSFN in January, you seem to have great difficulty remembering all of your previous posts - perhaps because you have tried at least four different versions of Windows since then?

i didint forget my old topics i just starting them over because  the old topics i made i had just joined msfn and not that many people liked me back then and also that one didint give much information about my problem

Edited by VistaEX

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Of course you could have simply consulted (or resurrected) your February 3 thread on exactly the same topic. Considering you just joined MSFN in January, you seem to have great difficulty remembering all of your previous posts - perhaps because you have tried at least four different versions of Windows since then?

@VistaEX,  have you considered vLite to cut off the bloat from ISO before the installation ? It really helps , you should try. I can send Vlite ready-made presets.

P.S. to Vistapocalypse.

Do you see the key words in the topic's name ? "The best way" , so in the previous topic he just needed help (like urgent, emergency) , but here he wants to find the best way . Well , maybe he wants a batch script to disable all of the junk services at once , smth like that , like in the best possible (maybe the fastest) way. By the way , I didn't see any advice from you to this poor fella in that topic . How come ? Maybe some good advice from a long time Vista user ? No ? 

And I think our glorious moderators do know how to do their job , they will delete , if needed ! Also , in almost every topic he starts , I see lots of mockery from some certain members . And you , do you have smth to say on-topic ? He would really appreciate . Regarding trying different Windows , he is young and still learning , nothing wrong with that.

Is it generally slow or is it only slow when doing a specific task?

I've got an Intel HD 2000 with an i7-2600 and 16GB DDR3 ram.

My computer was unbearably slow booting up and coming back from sleep (like over 5 minutes to become responsive again) and I even configured my PC to boot automatically 30 minutes before I woke up so I never have to deal with the long delay.

Oddly enough only moving it to my SSD made the problem go away (It used to be on a HDD that was on here too):}.

4 hours ago, Dixel said:

P.S. to Vistapocalypse.

....I didn't see any advice from you to this poor fella in that topic . How come ? Maybe some good advice from a long time Vista user ? No ?

I never owned a slow Vista laptop myself. Would you do me a big favor Mr. Dixel? Please never again quote one of my posts for any reason? You may rest assured that I will henceforth show you exactly the same courtesy! Thanks!!! :)

8 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I never owned a slow Vista laptop myself. 

You mean you stole it? :w00t: ;)

:buehehe:

jaclaz

P.S.: I guess that with this I will enter the list of people not allowed to quote your posts :whistle:

16 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Merged threads

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

You mean you stole it? :w00t: ;)

:buehehe:

I suppose there are places on earth where such an assumption would be both logical and humorous. I mean I own a fast Vista tower with multicore processor. No real reason to shut it down frequently, hence not overly concerned about startup time. Have SP2 and all recommended updates, Superfetch enabled, and do not wish to become a topic of discussion here.

• legacyfan changed the title to whats the best way to speed up a slow windows vista laptop? (laptop specs included)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 1:36 PM, Dixel said:

First off , go to system config/services and disable superfetch , webclient , indexing , read more here. Also , what is your RAM amount ?

https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-xp-vista/how-to-disable-unnecessary-services-in-windows-vista/

also disable the Windows ReadyBoost service.  the Vista version of Readyboost is not good (when I had Vista several years ago I turned that off)

Edited by erpdude8

19 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

the Vista version of Readyboost is not good (when I had Vista several years ago I turned that off)

Says who ? If one has a good HDD - it's absolutely fantastic . Besides , many users have SDD nowadays. Anyway , I tend to disable it too ( in most cases ) because I have quite fast RAM . 

On 4/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, Tripredacus said:

In my experience, ReadyBoost is great for a day or two, but it always has destroyed the cache media. If you aren't actually going to use it to run cache media, then it should be disabled.

Totally agree with you . Though some time ago I literally saved a slow notebook with 4GB DDR2 667Mhz memory using a fast external HDD connected via eSATA. It was used for huge video files editing.

• legacyfan changed the title to how to speed up a slow laptop with vista? (laptop specs included)
  • 1 year later...