"Ancient" Pinned Threads in XP sub-forum

"Ancient" Pinned Threads  

12 members have voted

1. 1. 7 of the 16 "pinned" threads in this forum are "ancient" and taking up space. Do we need to keep them "pinned"? Does not need to be too complex, three-and-only-three options. (Though I considered adding a fourth option, "Add more pins so that we always just skip to Page 2 for new and recent content".)

• Yes, do nothing, keep them pinned as-is.
    • No, unpin them, WinXP-users that are looking for that info will still find it via search (either from within or landing here from an external search).
    • I'm riding the fence, I'm okay with where the yes and no replies land us.

This poll is closed to new votes

Closed poll. Forum moderation/administration is not up to community vote.

Typically we would like to limit the amount of pinned topics to at most 1/4 of default view of forum index. Our typical way to manage this is to create FAQ/Important Threads topics such as in win9x:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/95815-important-stickified-pinned-959898-seme-topics/
and in winPE:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/131897-new-win-pe-faq/

However, this is managed by the "forum leader" and is not usually handled by globals or supers. I believe the XP forum leader is @LoneCrusader

• Tripredacus changed the title to "Ancient" Pinned Threads in XP sub-forum

15 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

However, this is managed by the "forum leader" and is not usually handled by globals or supers. I believe the XP forum leader is @LoneCrusader

No, I can't claim that title. Or at least it was never given to me, lol. :angel

I suppose I can be considered as such for the 9x forum, but unfortunately I can't take on such a role for the older-NT family as well. I'm doing well to manage to keep up a daily check in on things.. RL issues are really taking a toll on all of my "computing" endeavors these days. :(

-

(And while I agree it may not be ideal to have so many "pinned" threads, I don't see the need to start changing things just for the sake of changing them. It's been that way for a long time and hasn't been an issue... Why the sudden "wave of discontent?" .. not to say that it could not/should not be improved, but just saying..)

Here's my take on it.

I agree that too many stickies in a forum can get cluttered and look unorganized. So if it were me, I would go through some of that information and make a good one stop thread with links to all of these important articles, sort of like what I did with the Windows 9x forum. So make a sticky with all these links and unpin some of the less important ones.

Or we could create a subforum within the Windows XP forum and move all of the important topics/references in there so that way they're easier to find, but leave it so only mods and above can make any post or topic in there. It would be more like an archive. But we don't want people just posting in there randomly and creating more fluff to bury other topics.

But that's just my two cents on it. :cool:

8 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

No, I can't claim that title. Or at least it was never given to me, lol. :angel

This version of IPB doesn't show who leads what anymore. The "leaders" are typically the moderators or globals who used to be the moderators of a specific section. I knew it was some "old OS" section, I just couldn't confirm. :zzz:

Back to the topic at hand, doing a quick look and it seems to me that there should only be 2 topics pinned: puntoMX's AHCI thread and mixit's H.264 thread. Everything "above" the H.264 thread are active enough that they do not need to be pinned. Everything below is the dead weight.

If that seems to be correct, we can just unpin all of them besides the two I mentioned. And an FAQ/link thread can be made later. But the reason why a forum "leader" needs to do this is because they would be the ones to know what is and what isn't important enough to put into there. I haven't used XP in 10 years now except for doing disk work.

@LoneCrusader actually is the 9x/ME (and subforum) Forum Leader, in fact.
I have nominated myself acting XP (and subforums) Forum Leader, for the time being XP SP3 really still is my main OS.
I don't think any other forums (except by the ones led by Developers) does have any Forum Leader anymore.
I sure won't do it for the other Older NT-OSes because it makes no sense to lead forums on OSes I've never used at all (namely 2k & Vista).
That said, I decided to give the idea of a Pinned Topics subforum a try. I'll let the redirects created on moving the Pinned Topics stand up to this weekend, then remove them. This is an experiment, and its full effect will only be possible to evaluate once the redirects are removed, so let's wait at least for a fortnight, before posting any assessments on this change. I want everybody and their cousins fully cognizant it has happened, before removing the redirects. I still doubt it's a necessary change, but I'm not averse to giving it a try, since it may prove to be beneficial.

Thanks Den, that looks pretty much as I hoped it would. :yes:
I would have thought that the roytam1 browsers' thread and the Extreme Explorer thread could have been left in the main section though, and perhaps unpinned as they are very active. Just a thought.

Incidentally, I was thinking about asking roytam1 to perhaps make a third browser thread soon as the existing one is getting very near the 200 page mark again, which is the point at which the second thread was started.

:)

I'm fine for unpinning them, but leaving redirection links in XP forum for each pinned topic make whole action noneffective.

and, if pinned topic(s) is/are still active, moving them into sub-forum may not be a good move to users.

Edited by roytam1

2 hours ago, roytam1 said:

I'm fine for unpinning them, but leaving redirection links in XP forum for each pinned topic make whole action noneffective.
and, if pinned topic(s) is/are still active, moving them into sub-forum may not be a good move to users.

Nobody´s ever happy, ain't it? :D

2 hours ago, i430VX said:

I beleive the redirection is only temporary to alert users of the move, but I agree with your second point, RT1.

Yes it is. :yes:  But for those who never take the trouble to read posts of more than 140 characters, the relevant part of my previous post is quoted below:  :whistle:

11 hours ago, dencorso said:

I'll let the redirects created on moving the Pinned Topics stand up to this weekend, then remove them. This is an experiment, and its full effect will only be possible to evaluate once the redirects are removed [...]. I want everybody [...] fully cognizant it has happened, before removing the redirects.

:boring:

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

Pinning, unpinning, my head is spinning  ...

jaclaz

That is a 'tongue twister' indeed - say that 3 times fast :)

Seriously (because I'm always very serious .. my face cracks if I try to smile) I'm ok but wonder if somebody "bumps" a thread what that would/will do?

Edited by XPerceniol

17 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Seriously (because I'm always very serious .. my face cracks if I try to smile) I'm ok but wonder if somebody "bumps" a thread what that would/will do?

Perhaps :dubbio: suddenly lumping (together) pinned and unpinned threads ? :w00t:

Reference/inspiration ;):

https://www.mamalisa.com/?t=es&p=1658

jaclaz

P.S. I am usually half-serious, which can also be seen as half-funny, depending on the point of view ...

Edited by jaclaz

It's really a prob, either way. Don't want to lose anything, while at the same time readability is a pain, especially in old browsers, where it's very hard to even see where the normal topics begin.
What would be by far best:
if the whole pinned-topics-block could be placed inside a common html-element, with a limited max-height by CSS. Then only the first few topics remain permanently visible, but the rest is easily found too by just scrolling down, with a vertical scrollbar.

Catch: how get them inside a common block??

Actually had tried to get that look about 2-3 years ago already (forever fiddling with improving my user css), but couldn't get past that barrier of a missing common html-wrapper element.
In the end could only help myself a bit by giving all pinned topics a glaring title background color and custom made glaring icons, using CSS. That way it's at least easier to see where that block ends - in my ancient browser at least (suppose no prob in younger ones)

Even just that workaround with the title back color in ancient browser was already a major struggle, or perhaps it was just me?!

body.ipsApp span .fa-thumb-tack::before { content: url(resource:///icons/pin16.png) !important;}

body.ipsApp h4 i.fa-thumb-tack {
margin-right: -600px !important;
border-right-width: 600px !important;
background-color: gold !important;
border-color: gold !important;
border-right-style: solid !important;
opacity: 0.6 !important;
padding-bottom: 12px !important;
}

Hmm, if javascript is active, could imagine a little script which inserts a new wrapper element (div) into the page, then collects all "i.fa-thumb-tack", loops through them to collect their great-great-grandparent nodes (li elem), and moves those inside the new wrapper...

Edited by siria