"Ancient" Pinned Threads in XP sub-forum

"Ancient" Pinned Threads  

12 members have voted

1. 1. 7 of the 16 "pinned" threads in this forum are "ancient" and taking up space. Do we need to keep them "pinned"? Does not need to be too complex, three-and-only-three options. (Though I considered adding a fourth option, "Add more pins so that we always just skip to Page 2 for new and recent content".)

• Yes, do nothing, keep them pinned as-is.
    • No, unpin them, WinXP-users that are looking for that info will still find it via search (either from within or landing here from an external search).
    • I'm riding the fence, I'm okay with where the yes and no replies land us.

This poll is closed to new votes

7 of the 16 "pinned" threads in this forum are "ancient" and taking up space.  Do we need to keep them "pinned"?  Does not need to be too complex, three-and-only-three options.  (Though I considered adding a fourth option, "Add more pins so that we always just skip to Page 2 for new and recent content".)

Edited by Tripredacus
title

Funny you should do this now, as I've been thinking about consulting my fellow moderators about this very issue for a while now!
There do seem to be rather a lot of pinned threads on some of the forums here, and it does need to be discussed as to whether they all still need to be pinned.
Do bear in mind that they were all pinned originally for a good reason, at least in the opinion of a moderator, so they shouldn't be unpinned unless they really are now considered to be obsolete.
:)

I slightly disagree.

I personally don't believe in "pinned" threads (and I've been a forum moderator on other forums).

The truly important topics will stay at the top by their very nature of constant discussion and new members signing up to chime in.

And when a discussion fades into the distance, it should do just that, fade into the distance instead of being artificially placed at the top.

As the moderator, you should be able to see if some of those "ancient" threads have even been READ/VISITED within the last YEAR.

And if they haven't, or if the visit count is miniscule, then, well, no-brainer, un-pin them  :whistle:

"my two cents" and no skin off my back either way (my Stylus hides content I don't specifically white-list, I manually disable whenever I want to see if there is "new" content to white-list).

Edited by ArcticFoxie

11 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

And when a discussion fades into the distance, it should do just that, fade into the distance instead of being artificially placed at the top.

But anywhoo...

Pretty much everything I say (utter gibberish) fades into the distance anyway - people hope they will soon forget it :wacko:

Edited by XPerceniol

I do agree with you @ArcticFoxie to some extent, but I have always considered pinned threads, on any forum, to be reference material.
They are there for forum users, especially new ones, to easily find information about commonly encountered problems.
Of course what is an important problem, worthy of being given such permanent prominence, is very much a matter of opinion!
I would like to hear the opinions of my fellow moderators on this.
@dencorso@Tripredacus@Tommy
:)

The thought of “too many pinned threads” has crossed my mind before,  and also affects the Vista forum. I just conducted a quick survey, and the Windows 8 and Windows 10 forums manage to get by with only 3 pinned threads each. Windows 7 is 12 years old now, but its forum has only five pinned threads - two of which are February 15, 2009 posts by cluberti that are also pinned in both the XP and Vista forums!?

On 4/10/2021 at 8:44 PM, XPerceniol said:

Pretty much everything I say (utter gibberish) fades into the distance anyway - people hope they will soon forget it :wacko:

Your posts are not bad, but I wish I could soon forget your current avatar! I’m not sure if I should pity that hideous mutant or give it a shotgun blast? :puke: Edit: XPperceniol has mercifully changed avatars again, muchas gracias! :)

In my understanding all the pinned & locked posts here in this forum must be kept as they are, else they'll drop to the bottom forever, since nobody can reply to them and cause them to go up again. This, BTW, includes those 3 threads by cluberti, which do remain as relevant today as they were when originally posted. I've just reviewed the other pinned posts here and did unpin one which obviously has become utterly irrelevant, but I do favor keeping all the others in place. In what regards the Win 7 forum and the hardware forum & subforum, my opinion is the same. Elsewhere, I prefer not to weigh in, because I'm not a user of those systems, so those of the staff who actually do use them should be the ones to decide.  

4 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I slightly disagree.

I personally don't believe in "pinned" threads (and I've been a forum moderator on other forums).

The truly important topics will stay at the top by their very nature of constant discussion and new members signing up to chime in.

As the moderator, you should be able to see if some of those "ancient" threads have even been READ/VISITED within the last YEAR.

And if they haven't, or if the visit count is miniscule, then, well, no-brainer, un-pin them  :whistle:

"my two cents" and no skin off my back either way (my Stylus hides content I don't specifically white-list, I manually disable whenever I want to see if there is "new" content to white-list).

i agree with @ArcticFoxie i think they should be unpinned

What's the matter with you people? :w00t:

Yet another attempt to delete history (or make it unnecessarily difficult to access it)?

The very fact that a topic has been pinned sometimes in the past makes it worth it.

As I said in another topic:

if the issue is about "eyes been hurt by the amount of pinned topics" or "pinned topics take up too much space and I have to scroll down too much on the first page of a sub-forum"[1], topics can be unpinned, but only once a "master post" listing them is added.

jaclaz

[1] graphical representation, just in case ;):

http://www.marriedtothesea.com/030306/gracious.jpg

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

[1] graphical representation, just in case ;):

http://www.marriedtothesea.com/030306/gracious.jpg

Ha, too funny!

Seems to me that most forums send old and locked threads to an archive or sub-forum section, they don't stay-in-the-fray, so to speak, but they remain as "reference material".

It is not about offending the eyes of Whoopi Goldberg wearing a Habit, but about keeping the forum neat and tidy and free of clutter.

Kind of like the forum offering us the preference option to hide "signatures".

I'm not undermining the "quality" of the clutter, but I do have to wonder if some of them have even been visited within the past year.

But again, just a tiny suggestion, my Stylus hides the "offense" anyway  :cool:    For the sake of neat and tidy.  And because Stylus sheets are a bit of a hobby  :)

Edited by ArcticFoxie

If I may make a request, I would like to suggest to the moderators, if of course other members of MSFN agree, to consider inserting "pinned" to the thred:

There is a lot of news that may be of interest to other forum members as well.
For example, yesterday Raymond Hill added a rule for blocking FLoC in Chrome/Chromium to the

uBlock filters - Privacy list.

I suppose at least some of the pinned threads, especially the locked ones, could be put into a "reference topics" subfolder?
That would always be at the top of the board with the other two subfolders.
Would that make them too much less obvious to people looking for help though?
:dubbio:

19 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I suppose at least some of the pinned threads, especially the locked ones, could be put into a "reference topics" subfolder?
That would always be at the top of the board with the other two subfolders.
Would that make them too much less obvious to people looking for help though?
:dubbio:

Sure :), that would also do nicely, though the idea of a "master post" with a "curated" list is still IMHO "better".

jaclaz

10 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Your posts are not bad, but I wish I could soon forget your current avatar! I’m not sure if I should pity that hideous mutant or give it a shotgun blast? :puke:

mwahahaha ... Isn't he cute and cuddly? The Blobfish needs love too, ya know :wub:

https://authorrisingtide.wordpress.com/2020/08/31/creation-in-and-of-itself-is-a-miracle-but-boy-it-can-sure-be-ugly/

I'll admit; sometimes when I log in its hard to keep breakfast down, so time for a change again.

Sorry guys, back to regularly scheduled programing.