Secure LAN file sharing options?

gerwin

I have some systems in a LAN, connected through the usual cable-company supplied WAN/LAN router. Router brand is Technicolor. 

File sharing is set disabled in the Windows XP systems, in the LAN-Adapter settings. At the moment I cannot say exactly how necessary that is for security, but that is what I did.

The router had a nice option to use an USB storage device as a NAS. It worked to some degree, however, it is bugged: At some point certain files start to behave read-only.

So the past years I have been just swapping around USB storage. (And experiencing reliability issues with USB 3 drives and USB 3 SD card readers, which have made me prefer USB 2 again for these ones. No issues with larger 2,5" USB 3 devices )

Can someone recommend a small NAS like solution for sharing files between Windows XP and Linux? Just to hold some music and books and transfer some small files.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I do have a small E350 nettop with Windows XP functioning as internet radio. But am hesitant to make it the file sharing device. Maybe if I would install Linux on it instead.

Edited by gerwin

My first post! :D

This was interesting as I just set up a cheap thin client with gigabit ethernet running OpenBSD 24/7 serving files. I wanted both encrypted SSH/SFTP and unencrypted FTP access as the devices in my household are both new and old. Works very well!

Should you go for the (very correct) thin client suggestion, this is an extremely good resource (useful to find what specs/features various el-cheapo machines have): 

https://www.parkytowers.me.u k/thin/

(though I never used one as NAS, I do have a few good ol' Transmeta Crusoe :w00t: based thin clients - FujitsuSiemens Futro S220/300 - used as router, going strong since 2012, 24/7, I am on the second one as a power supply blew during a storm due to spikes).

jaclaz

Thanks for the suggestions!

So I will slowly start on preparing a Linux environment for one of the E350 Nettops (yeah I have a spare one too), to make it both the internet radio and a file sharing device.  I am already familiar with Linux Solus 4 Mate, so I really prefer to use that, and avoid having to learn about a different OS or distribution. 

Regardless, If someone has some knowledge about the security or insecurity of Windows XP NAT file sharing, in the current day and age, I would gladly learn about it.