[Research] Windows 7 and eMMC drives

Jakob99

On 7/27/2022 at 6:23 PM, George King said:

@Jakob99 Here is my next attempt, INFs are fixed and with all available translations that exist in Windows 8.0 RTM, whole INFs are 8.1 based. Hope it will succed now.

sd+mmc_generic_driver.7z 173.87 kB · 1 download

Hi, I tried your latest driver on my Intel Compute Stick with m3 cpu and Kingston M525 emmc, but unfortunately still getting 0x7b BSOD

I'm pretty sure emmc is the only problem to get windows 7 booting. I use dism to backup an existing windows 7 install from vmware and then restore it on real machines. On a nvme machine it boots into desktop right after I install nvme driver via dism. But I still can't get it working on a compute stick. 

Edit: I got windows 7 in a USB disk booted on Compute Stick. After I installed your driver via Device Management the internal SD reader works fine but the internal EMMC thrown a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" error(M525 string shown in device properties though)

Edit2: Holy crap it works! After installing sdstor.sys for "MMC Memory Card" all of my emmc drives show in explorer. Thank you for your great work

Edited by tldr

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/27/2022 at 5:23 AM, George King said:

@Jakob99 Here is my next attempt, INFs are fixed and with all available translations that exist in Windows 8.0 RTM, whole INFs are 8.1 based. Hope it will succed now.

sd+mmc_generic_driver.7z 173.87 kB · 13 downloads

Just an FYI, some antiviruses such as Avast, may think this is a virus. Best to disable it temporarily when handling this file.

On 8/8/2022 at 12:59 AM, Jakob99 said:

Thank you! I will try this out and report back.

Did it work?

I'm trying to get it to work on GPD WIN, a device built on same technology as Intel Cherry Trail tablets. Its UEFI class 3 so no any mark of bios or CSM.
It does not have BIOS INIT 10H required for Win7 to start (fixed via FlashBoot PRO, UEFISeven did not work)
It also does not comply with ACPI and throws A5 error (fixed via patched acpi.sys)
With that I've been able to boot into Windows 7 Installer but USB did not work so I couldn't continue. I've done first part of installation in Windows 10 bootloader and applied driver and all the hacks above to install.wim.
But after reboot it can't load Windows throwing that 7B error at me, please help. If we could get through, it would mean that we can install Win7 on any Cherry Trail or other Win8+ tablets which would be unbelievably awesome...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 3:11 PM, frienpp said:

Did it work?

I'm trying to get it to work on GPD WIN, a device built on same technology as Intel Cherry Trail tablets. Its UEFI class 3 so no any mark of bios or CSM.
It does not have BIOS INIT 10H required for Win7 to start (fixed via FlashBoot PRO, UEFISeven did not work)
It also does not comply with ACPI and throws A5 error (fixed via patched acpi.sys)
With that I've been able to boot into Windows 7 Installer but USB did not work so I couldn't continue. I've done first part of installation in Windows 10 bootloader and applied driver and all the hacks above to install.wim.
But after reboot it can't load Windows throwing that 7B error at me, please help. If we could get through, it would mean that we can install Win7 on any Cherry Trail or other Win8+ tablets which would be unbelievably awesome...

It still did not. I think it's because the hardware inside the Acer Aspire R3-131t is not defined in it even though vanilla Windows 8 Build 8056 works just fine whereas this driver, based on that, does not.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi!

I've been working with the BayTrail ChipSet and Windows 7 x64 (GPT/EFI) again recently (VEN_8086&DEV_0F14 - emmc / VEN_8086&DEV_0F16 - sdcard).
As far as I can see, the chipset was first included in the drivers with Windows 8.1.
The packages provided here could not be regularly installed on the device.
I made the most recent attempts in the CMD with DEVCON.EXE. I copied the .SYS files to the System32 directory in advance and deactivated the driver signing check when Windows started. This way the drivers could be loaded, but no function could be determined.
I am currently searching the Beta8.1 versions for the first signs of BayTrail support.

Best wishes and a happy new year.

BayTrail.jpg

Edited by Ratte

BayTrail support (sdbus.inf):

Win 8.0 9200 - no

Beta 8.1 9374 - no

Beta 8.1 9385 - yes    (first known version with baytrail support)

Win 8.1 9600 - yes

---------------------

org. files from iso

"Microsoft Windows 8.1 (''Blue'' 6.3.9385.0) x64 & x86"

Beta81 Build9385 sdbus sdstor x64 x86.7z

Edited by Ratte

First of all, thank you for the feedback.
I have a question, but maybe the idea is fundamentally wrong, so please don't be angry.
On current x64 systems (U)EFI is replacing BIOS (at least more and more often and CSM is also disappearing more and more often). Is it possible to use Windows drivers under x64 that rely on (U)EFI? I found an example of a memory driver on the net that allows direct access to the RAM. Couldn't a driver be written in this way that provides a normal hard disk (or BlockDevice) for Windows and does not access the hardware directly on the other side, but redirects access to (U)EFI? In this way you could then address all storage media such as hard disks (EMMC / SD / NVME / USB). You would no longer have to rely on special drivers. If this type of access were possible, perhaps a similar approach could be used for vga.sys by redirecting to (U)EFI/GOP functions. This approach would certainly also be interesting for modern PCIe systems and WindowsXP x64. Just a few thoughts flying through my head...

Maybe it makes sense to compare the differences between the last version without Baytrail support (9374)

and the first version with Baytrail support (9385) and then reproduce this difference

in the early Beta8 (8056) version.

8056 (ported driver)

// Detected compiler/packer: microsoft
// Detected functions: 288

9370 (last without baytrail)

// Detected compiler/packer: microsoft linker (11.0)
// Detected functions: 383

9385 (first with baytrail)

// Detected compiler/packer: microsoft linker (11.0)
// Detected functions: 399

Idea, analyze the difference between version 9370 and 9385.
In the next step, implement the changes found in version 8056.