minecraft support for xp/vista ends in 2 days

legacyfan

Minimum Requirements: Windows 7 and up.

Recommended Requirements: Windows 10.

https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/articles/360035131371-Minecraft-Java-Edition-system-requirements-

This was already discussed in a December 2020 thread, End of support for Minecraft on Vista.

Edit: Also some discussion on page 70 of the lengthy extended kernel thread in January.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

They only have "Windows 7 and up" but specify bitness for Linux and MacOS. They really should put the bitness on the Windows requirement, since if the game requires 4 GB RAM, a 32-bit OS isn't going to meet that requirement.

Now the thing I am wondering about is whether you can still use an old launcher on an old OS, or if they are going to block that from working.

They are going to block that from working, but not really by any sort of API functionality difference, as far as I know. They are changing the account login method to need a Micro$soft account. Which, the old login method doesnt do.

Thanks for that. I've always just played the latest version, but yeah 1.12.2 was the last that seemed to run well on a fair bit of hardware for me. (In fact, it may be the last at all for linux x86, iirc) When the normal launcher ceases functioning I will try out the Magic Launcher.

• 2 weeks later...

it a sad day it look like minecraft has been been officially made dead on vista/xp  :( r.i.p minecraft 2006-2021 for vista/xp  (i even tested unistalling the launcher and reinstalling it and it still gave me this message)

Capture.JPG

Edited by VistaEX