Should new win-10 install pick up product key from SLIC or MSDM tables?

Nomen

This Del e6230 gave me the option in bios to boot UEFI or legacy, and because I'm old school I chose legacy and because of that there's no access to MSDM table - yes? But there is a SLIC table, most likey containing win-7 OEM key. But the MSDM table would contain what- win-8 or maybe even win-10 key? Bigger question - even if I did set for secure boot uefi would a fresh install of win-10 on wiped drive pick up the oem win-10 key automatically?

Edited by Nomen

An installation using the OEM's recovery media of Windows 8-10 will always try to read the product key in the BIOS. An installation that is not provided by the/an OEM will not try to read the key from there. For example, System Builder will not make use of that.

It does not matter if you are using UEFI boot or legacy.

However, in contrast to previous versions of Windows, it is now possible to use recovery media from any OEM on any OEM's hardware. Such as using an HP recovery disc on a Dell, which in Win7 and older would not result in a successful activation.

7 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

However, in contrast to previous versions of Windows, it is now possible to use recovery media from any OEM on any OEM's hardware. Such as using an HP recovery disc on a Dell, which in Win7 and older would not result in a successful activation.

Just for 10 or for 8.1, too?

8.0 and newer

EDIT: I am also only referring to having the appropriate product key installed. 8 and 8.1 are technically different SKUs and so is Windows 10. So a 8.0 from any OEM can work on an 8.0 system of any OEM, 8.1 to 8.1 and 10 to 10. There is no garauntee that you can cross up the SKUs, for that depends on how the recovery media was made. An 8.1 to 8 may work better than an 8 to 8.1 or 10 to 8/8.1, but I would have no expectation that an 8/8.1 would activate on a 10 system.

• 5 weeks later...

edit: previous comment removed

an 8.0/8.1 key from an MSDM table could activate 10 but not the other way around (aka. a W10 key won't activate W8.x)

Edited by erpdude8

• 1 year later...

Regarding the bigger question, it's hard to say for sure whether a fresh install of Windows 10 on a wiped drive would automatically pick up the OEM Windows 10 key, as it can depend on the specific system and its configuration. It's possible that the key may be stored in the BIOS or firmware, but that's not always the case.
 Also, you may look for reddit windows keys legit. This can be the quickest solution for installing the new system. Good luck!

Edited by BakerSean

3 hours ago, BakerSean said:

Regarding the bigger question, it's hard to say for sure whether a fresh install of Windows 10 on a wiped drive would automatically pick up the OEM Windows 10 key, as it can depend on the specific system and its configuration. It's possible that the key may be stored in the BIOS or firmware, but that's not always the case.

We have no use for generic yes/no/maybe answers here. :angry:

It is not hard to say, the answer to the question was already posted. No further details shall be given on the specifics of it as how Windows Activation specifically works is not a public topic.

:hello: