where can i find drivers for windows 98se for the e6430?

legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to where can i find drivers for windows 98se for the e6430?

For starters you will need Windows 98 Second edition install cd, Not Windows 98 GOLD/RTM. 98 and 98SE got some changes under the hood and some drivers works best on Windows 98SE. Visually you can see it by looking whatever install cd you got next to "for pc without windows" or "shipped with new pc" or similar text it should say Second Edition. Second way is insert cd and look readme. It should say Windows 98 Second edition. I got both and for newer hw 98SE worked best

To make it run windows 98 natively you need do lot of tweaks and give up on features. First of all you cannot have direct 3d support since intel never provided offical drivers. Best free one I know is VBE9X. Second good one is Scitech display doctor. Also take note you will have very buggy audio using this hd audio driver. To have better audio I recommend buying cheap generic usb audio. Even my brand new sound blaster rage 2.0 wireless headset works oobe on win98SE using hid usb audio driver. For network no driver for your nic, you need look usb network adapter that got win98 drivers

Then you will need RLoew ram patch to have windows 98 booting properly with over 1gb of ram, then you will need sata patch for sata hdd support. On some newer boards windows 98 will hang on blank screen even on emulated ide mode. If you want use achi mode you can use achi driver. You will also need lba48 patch and possibly 1tb patch to handle hdd on laptop. Those needs to be installed before booting from hdd for first time. Also set sata mode to ide/legacy during setup, copy files from cd to hdd to c:\windows\system\precopy (where atleast 98SE looks files first). Use md command to create that dir then run setup.exe /p i /im /is (skip memory check, scandisk and disable achi that is buggy on newer boards).

Then apply patches, reboot to bios, change mode back to achi and hopefully it will boot.

I have done it to newer hw just because I can and to prove it to be possible but user experience was horrible and lack of proper 3d and audio was deal breaker to me. For win98 laptop like dell d600 or d620 (If ati x300) would work better

If you want go trough all that hassle and install Windows 98 because you can go ahead and do it. If you do not want I recommend listen @Gansangriffand use virtual machine. Vmware got decent win98 performance and audio, I run test vm on vmware to win98 stuff.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000