Why is default action when selecting multple png files is to print them?

Nomen

I selected a dozen or so .png files in file explorer and hit enter, and a window opens that wants to print them. I wanted the default win-7 photo viewer to open, but it did not. I don't like the default win-7 photo viewer, so I went and downloaded / installed irfanview. I had it associated to all image file types. I went back to the folder with the png files, they now appear with irfanview icon. I selected a bunch, hit enter, and still a window opens and wants to print them. I went back, selected them, then I right-click. At the top of the context menu is PRINT. The third option is PREVIEW. I select Preview, and Windows photo viewer opens and shows them. WTF is going on, and how do I make it so that the default operation when selecting 1 or more PNG files is to OPEN them in irfanview? edit: If I select 15 of them and hit enter, then they open in irfanview (in separate windows, which I don't like because it's a pain to close them). If I select 16 and hit enter, then I get the print window. ???

Edited by Nomen

You'll want to look in the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png which should show the default association for that type of file. I can't do a good comparison for you because I don't have Irfanview but I can tell you what mine has:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png]
"Content Type"="image/png"
@="Fireworks.Doc"
"PerceivedType"="image"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png\OpenWithList\ehshell.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png\OpenWithProgids]
"pngfile"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"