Preferred version of Windows Server?

sunryze

I recently purchased a Dell PowerEdge R720 and I'm wondering what people would use on it. I would happily use Proxmox, but because of some problems with the drives i'm using and how they are setup, Windows Server would be an easier option. What would you use? I'm considering 2019, but wondering if 2012 R2 would be a better option.

What are your preferred versions of Windows Server for a Sandy Bridge-era Intel system?

i really like server 2008 because its based on vista and vista is the best version of windows as long as your computer can handle running it mine cant even run server 2008 but that could also be that my computer is a laptop and not a server

Edited by VistaEX

For what I use of them, I find no real functional differences between 2008 R2 to 2019.

As for which to use on a specific hardware platform, I would pick the OS that is certified or qualified for it, so that drivers are available and that support is available if needed.

On 3/22/2021 at 12:07 AM, Tonny52 said:

What would you use? I'm considering 2019, but wondering if 2012 R2 would be a better option.

Highly depends on usage and hw. I used server 2008 r2 on newer servers (sandy bridge and newer) and server 2003 on older (771 xenon). 2012 would be fine

On 3/22/2021 at 5:25 PM, Tonny52 said:

The R720 I'm getting has drivers on Dell's site for 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, and 2016. 

for stability and compatibilty use any offically supported ones. Mostly raid controller is why needed. Stock drivers never worked well on array

On 3/22/2021 at 12:07 AM, Tonny52 said:

I would happily use Proxmox, but because of some problems with the drives i'm using and how they are setup.

if you plan use windows server to virtualisation you need atleast windows server standard. Also make sure your server version supports all of processor cores and memory on system. Standard version of 2008 r2 supports up to 32 GB of ram and 4 physical cpu sockets while server datacentre/enterprise edition supports 2tb ram, 8 physical sockets (enterprise) and 64 (datacentre). For server 2012 r2 both standard and data centre do 4tb of ram and 64 physical  cpu sockets. Different is on licencing features. Just make sure edition you are installing can utilise ram and cpu sockets

12 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Highly depends on usage and hw. I used server 2008 r2 on newer servers (sandy bridge and newer) and server 2003 on older (771 xenon). 2012 would be fine

for stability and compatibilty use any offically supported ones. Mostly raid controller is why needed. Stock drivers never worked well on array

if you plan use windows server to virtualisation you need atleast windows server standard. Also make sure your server version supports all of processor cores and memory on system. Standard version of 2008 r2 supports up to 32 GB of ram and 4 physical cpu sockets while server datacentre/enterprise edition supports 2tb ram, 8 physical sockets (enterprise) and 64 (datacentre). For server 2012 r2 both standard and data centre do 4tb of ram and 64 physical  cpu sockets. Different is on licencing features. Just make sure edition you are installing can utilise ram and cpu sockets

Dell says this supports 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2 and 2016. I'd rather not use 2008 R2 or 2012 (even though I like them) and 2016 has a very slow update systen, so 2012 R2 is basically my only option, or I can figure out if 2019 runs fine on it when I get it.

3 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Dell says this supports 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2 and 2016. I'd rather not use 2008 R2 or 2012 (even though I like them) and 2016 has a very slow update systen, so 2012 R2 is basically my only option, or I can figure out if 2019 runs fine on it when I get it.

2012 r2 is almost same as 2012 expect it got better UI (bit less metrofied). It would fine to your use. I recommend atleast server 2012 r2 standard not essential or web edition to have hyper v and more ram support. If you want you can do in place upgrade on retail version of windows server. I upgraded one server from 2008 r2 to 2012 r2 without reinstalling all

8 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

2012 r2 is almost same as 2012 expect it got better UI (bit less metrofied). It would fine to your use. I recommend atleast server 2012 r2 standard not essential or web edition to have hyper v and more ram support. If you want you can do in place upgrade on retail version of windows server. I upgraded one server from 2008 r2 to 2012 r2 without reinstalling all

2008 R2 is in ESU and uses the older version of server manager, and 2016 has such a slow update system. 2012 R2 is just a minor update to 2012 so I will be going with 2012 R2 Datacenter Core.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 11:07 PM, Tonny52 said:

What are your preferred versions of Windows Server for a Sandy Bridge-era Intel system?

My preferred version is: Tested ... :) (MSFN-style)

In other words: First, i test The Latest (tm) , to see if my needs are covered, and to to be "on top" security-wise.

If not, i go backwards one step at a time, until they are.

M$ is adding and removing features constantly, but without trying, you won't find out "your" red lines.

My last move was from WHS 2011 to Standard 2016, and i'll keep that, while (patches == incoming);

(This does not exactly answer your more detailed question: I switched from sandy bridge to ryzen with that step, which is an option you most likely don't have)

Edited by ragnargd

• 1 year later...

server 2019 is what I would suggest for an is (its based off build 1809 the last good windows 10 build) ive used it before a few years ago and have never had an issue with running it (accept for that some app can't be used on it)

Edited by legacyfan

• 3 months later...

Maybe it's a little off-topic now but I just realized something strange.

Server 2008 is based on Vista (both 6.0.6000)

Server 2012 is based on Win8 (6.2.9200)

Server 2016 is based on Win10 Anniversary (10.0.14393)

Windows Server 2022, which was released in August 2021, right before Windows 11, looks like Windows 10 but it's build number is 10.0.20348. It's actually a higher build number than Windows 10's (19045) and it has Windows 11's icons (e.g. Settings, Security). What was Microsoft thinking when they were building that version? It's updates are NOT compatible with Windows 10, meaning that one can not just install Server 2022's Updates on Windows 10, once 10's support runs out. I remember there were new Windows 10 builds in 2021 and it is probably based on one of them.

23 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

What was Microsoft thinking when they were building that version? It's updates are NOT compatible with Windows 10

Did you ever think that maybe people at Microsoft know all about how people have been exploiting update compatibility in order to continue to use OS versions that Microsoft doesn't want you to use anymore? That would be my guess.

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

Did you ever think that maybe people at Microsoft know all about how people have been exploiting update compatibility in order to continue to use OS versions that Microsoft doesn't want you to use anymore? That would be my guess.

Nah they ain't that smart I guess. They're known for doing senseless decisions from time to time.

Edited by yoltboy01

• 2 weeks later...

People can just install Server if they want to use a system like that, with less trouble than transplanting individual files, and fewer nonsense features.