Getting Windows XP x64 to work on modern machine?

Hey everyone!

This is actually my first post ever (I mainly looked around Vista Kernel Extension for a while). I found some posts on here and other forums, where people are getting Windows XP/Vista on their modern machines. The question I have, is if it's possible to get XP x64 on my machine?

My specifications are as follows:

• Motherboard: MSI H310M Pro-M2 Plus (H310 Chipset)
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F (2.9Ghz, 6-cores)
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1050Ti Gaming X 4G
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz (2x8)
  • Ethernet: Intel I219-V

If it's not possible to get XP x64 to work, is it possible to get Vista?

Thanks in advance for help!

That's a TALL order for XP. Vista would be relatively easier, however not easy, and maybe not even fun.

For example, the GTX 1000 series has NO XP support, and Vista drivers exist, however their performance is crippled (I believe DirectX performance, specifically)
as for the other hardware, I cannot speak for specifically, but generally, 4th gen was the last generation that played nicely with XP, and 3rd gen the last for vista (in most cases 4th has vista stability issues.) It seems that you have 9th gen.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 12:26 PM, legacyfan said:

my laptop cant even do windows xp 64 bit at all because dell left out support for it for some strange reason but it does support xp x86 edition

hmm, what kind of Dell laptop do you have, legacyfan?

support for X64 WinXP was limited and varied by different PC manufacturers & models
only certain Dell business PCs like the Optiplex 7010 & Latitude E6400 / E6410 had official XP 64bit driver support.

Edited by erpdude8

1 minute ago, erpdude8 said:

hmm, what kind of Dell laptop do you have, legacyfan?

support for X64 WinXP was limited and varied by different PC manufacturers & models
only certain Dell business PCs like the Optiplex 7010 had official XP 64bit driver support.

i have a e6430 and it only officially supports xp x86

14 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

Ok I just edited my previous post to mention a Latitude E6400 & E6410, which DO have XP x64 support
E6420 & higher do not have it

Edited by erpdude8

On 5/10/2021 at 8:39 PM, erpdude8 said:

Ok I just edited my previous post to mention a Latitude E6400 & E6410, which DO have XP x64 support
E6420 & higher do not have it

On 5/10/2021 at 8:36 PM, legacyfan said:

Officially, it does not support, but I would try the drivers for individual devices from the manufacturers websites e.g. for Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000 driver is winxp64_145111.exe

Edited by reboot12

• 10 months later...
On 5/15/2021 at 7:40 AM, reboot12 said:

Officially, it does not support, but I would try the drivers for individual devices from the manufacturers websites e.g. for Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000 driver is winxp64_145111.exe

the link above doesnt work but this is the same file https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/16545/intel-hd-graphics-driver-for-windows-xp-64-exe.html

Edited by dextyckroms

15 hours ago, dextyckroms said:

the link above doesnt work

The link in my post works! This is a link to the Polish Intel website. Maybe the link to the Polish version does not work in your country.

intel.png.63548aa052a5e9f67b6ff86460f07696.png

This is a link to the US English version of the Intel website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/16545/22644/intel-hd-graphics-driver-for-windows-xp-64-exe.html?

Edited by reboot12

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 12:14 PM, i430VX said:

4th gen was the last generation that played nicely with XP, and 3rd gen the last for vista (in most cases 4th has vista stability issues.) It seems that you have 9th gen.

Just throwing some two cents in here for @BlackOtton, but if you want to make an XP64 system that's as recent as you can get, you could follow what I did with Palouser, my XP64 machine.

@XP-x64-Lover located a suite of XP64 drivers for the ASUS X99 SABERTOOTH motherboard. That gets you into 5th gen territory, so you could go all the way up to the Broadwell-E. With Matt's Repository's findings, you could get Windows XP drivers for the nVidia Geforce GTX 970, 980, 980 TI and Titan X. At least until Version 368.81. @bluebolt was able to get an NVMe drive to work as a boot drive for XP64. This would get you up to 2016-level specs. Well, bleeding edge for 2016. As I understand it, the 10xx series of nVidia video cards are still the most commonly used by gamers, partially due to ... well ... the economic forces at play right now.

When I overhauled Palouser in 2019 (well, I got started locating parts in 2018, but still) I went balls-to-the-wall. I use Palouser as my do-everything daily driver and workstation, but of course, I am limited by what programs can be made to work on XP64. So she's got an i7-6950X, a TITAN X Maxwell, and 128 GB of RAM. Not the highest-specced RAM, but as I understand it, Intel CPUs of this generation weren't very strongly impacted by RAM speed.

I don't know if anyone has had luck with newer hardware. I have heard of people getting XP to run on Ryzen, but aside from a photo I've not seen anyone post instructions on how they did it.

EDIT: Well that sucks. I found the guy who said he succeeded at this, but he links to Win-Raid as proof of his accomplishment and the post is gone. There was a whole thread apparently, "XP/W2k3 x86 on Modern Hardware," that had a lot of information on workarounds and compatible drivers which got nuked during a forum database migration and was never restored.

On the other hand, there's a thread at Win-Raid titled "XP/W2k3 x64 on Modern Hardware." The first few posts are by someone who claims to have gotten XP64 running on Coffee Lake. That's eighth gen Intel Core CPUs, circa 2017 ... in fact, that's what your machine has, right?

Edited by TrevMUN

On 4/2/2022 at 8:50 AM, TrevMUN said:

EDIT: Well that sucks. I found the guy who said he succeeded at this, but he links to Win-Raid as proof of his accomplishment and the post is gone. There was a whole thread apparently, "XP/W2k3 x86 on Modern Hardware," that had a lot of information on workarounds and compatible drivers which got nuked during a forum database migration and was never restored.

Here is new topic with archived one too. They deleted whole topic according to "hard" files modifications.

https://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/17688-xpw2k3-x86-on-modern-hardware/
Edited by George King

On 4/2/2022 at 2:50 PM, TrevMUN said:

EDIT: Well that sucks. I found the guy who said he succeeded at this, but he links to Win-Raid as proof of his accomplishment and the post is gone. There was a whole thread apparently, "XP/W2k3 x86 on Modern Hardware,"

@TrevMUN

That would be @Dietmar he's on this forum actually, he can help you get NVMe working on XP if you're still interested.