Need tutorial to use TBPlus

Scythifuge

Greetings,

I am working on four retro builds: a 486DX2 with a Tomato 4DPS running DOS 7, Windows 3.11, and Windows 9X; a Pentium III with an Asus P2B running DOS 7, Windows 3.11, and Windows 98SE; a Pentium 60 (unknown board as of yet, it is a Leading Edge brand) that will be running DOS 7, Windows 3.11 and Windows 95OSR2, and an an AthlonXP system (can't remember the board; have to open it up) running Windows XP.

I am using combinations of Compact Flash to IDE adapters and SSD/Mechanical drives using SATA to IDE adapters.  I will use external USB drives when applicable.  They range from 4GB to 2TB.

With maybe the exception of the AthlonXP system, I am of course running into bios and OS limitations.  During my research into how to get as much storage space as possible (I would like all music, game, application data and ISOs from each system's respective era stored locally on each machine and attathed to a private network that I may look into making accessible to friends and family,) I came across rloew's (may he rest in peace) patches.  I am looking for assistance in using the package to provide mass storage to my system.  I ran the overlay on the P3 and I think it installed, and I get the system to see a 1TB sate-to-ide drive (but not the entire size,) and I am not sure what to do from here.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I used to have a knack of figuring this stuff out, but I am having difficulty since experiencing a motorcycle accident and a couple of subsequent car accidents.  I would be very grateful  if anyone who knows how to use the TBPlus package and can help me get the P3 set up.  I could probably get the other systems set up from there!

Scythifuge

BUMP

Is there anyone who has successfully used the TBPlus package in a situation similar to mine?  Does rloew's overlay allow for a 1 TB drive to work on a board such as the Asus P2B?  How do I use the rfdisk and rformat programs to properly set up the 1 TB drive?  I am going with a series of CF cards with an adapter in the meantime, though I am hoping to get everything set up on a couple of internal drives for a less complicated set up (if the TBPlus package is correct for my situation.)  Another problem I face is that I cannot use PCI SATA cards in this machine, as there are no available slots (I can't even install a NIC in it!)  It is designed to run all games from 1989-2000 and will have a Voodoo5, Voodoo2 in SLI, a Voodoo1, a Sound Blaster Live for Win9x, and a SB AWE card for Dos.  There is a Roland SCC-1 in there, though I may be able to remove it after getting a solution that allows for external SC-55 use, though that will only free up an ISA slot.  This limits what I can do as far as hard drive solutions go.

I have an ASUS P2B98XV. The onboard USB is only USB 1. If yours is the same, the first card you must add is a fast USB 2 controller.

Replace the Sound Blaster Live with a USB 2 controller, then attach all the network, sound, and mass storage devices you want.

TBPlus might not be needed for USB drives unless they are extremely large.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 12:17 PM, jumper said:

I have an ASUS P2B98XV. The onboard USB is only USB 1. If yours is the same, the first card you must add is a fast USB 2 controller.

Replace the Sound Blaster Live with a USB 2 controller, then attach all the network, sound, and mass storage devices you want.

TBPlus might not be needed for USB drives unless they are extremely large.

I "need" the Live! card in there in order to cover sound for Windows 98 programs.  I am considering using a 3.5 dual CF-to-IDE drive and just swap CF cards, though that is less than ideal.  I am hoping to get a 1TB drive working under W98/DOS 7.1 not only for a mass-storage solution, but also for the experience.  I don't want rloew's programs to be written for naught. There has to be someone out there who used TBPlus to get 1TB+ drives working in an old system.