Is it possible to install Windows XP on an HP Elitebook 840 G3?

GD 2W10

Hello,

Is it possible to install Windows XP on a Skylake machine? I am trying to install it on an HP Elitebook 840 G3. I tried integrating an AHCI driver, but I got the error code 0x0000007b both times when pressing F5 > Standard PC and F7. This should be possible, as someone got Windows NT 3.51 on a Skylake machine.

Edited by GD 2W10

Maybe you didn't picked a proper driver, or maybe your firmware is UEFI . Don't forget that official XP don't support UEFI. Yo may try to change your firmware's storage options from SATA/ACI to compatibility or however is called. Don't forget to change your firmware to Legacy BIOS mode.

13 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

Maybe you didn't picked a proper driver, or maybe your firmware is UEFI . Don't forget that official XP don't support UEFI. Yo may try to change your firmware's storage options from SATA/ACI to compatibility or however is called. Don't forget to change your firmware to Legacy BIOS mode.

I cannot change the hard drive mode and I am currently using UEFI with CSM and have installed 8.1 and Vista on CSM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 7:32 PM, GD 2W10 said:

I cannot find the USB3 driver for XP nor can I find the ACPI driver.

I know. And here is why:

Due to fire incident at service provider OVH datacenter in Strasbourg, this file was destroyed in fire.

Luckily on simplix page, link to it i post here earlier,  they re-upload new version of file. USB3 driver for XP, ACPI driver for XP as well as AHCI and many more are there.

• 6 months later...

I used an ISO with ACPI and USB3 drivers integrated (this one:https://archive.org/details/xp-intel-amd-2020-32-bit-en-550-mb/1.PNG), but I still have trouble with installation. I used E2B and the Windows 8 PE to copy the files, but if I select “Standard PC”, or press F7, it doesn’t BSOD, but it hangs at “Welcome to setup.” I tried not doing anything during boot, and it did get past the first stage, but gave me a BSOD saying that the BIOS isn’t fully ACPI compliant.

Edited by GD 2W10

On 10/4/2021 at 7:36 PM, MrMateczko said:

Use WinSetupFromUSB.

I tried that, used that same ISO. I didn’t do anything during boot, also tried pressing F5 > Standard PC and F7, but I still got a BSOD with 0x0000007B.

• GD 2W10 changed the title to Is it possible to install Windows XP on an HP Elitebook 840 G3?