Microsoft updating office products I don't have.

forjonny

I only have Word on this computer. Did an Update for all Microsoft products and I got some Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Publisher, Access, One Note, Script Editor, InfoPath. And what's with this Adobe Flash Player? Isn't that gone now?

Anyhow I don't like Microsoft putting all this stuff on my computer for their own stupid reason and filling up my registry with crap I will never use. I don't need this stuff, I hardly even use Word, it's more stuff to go wrong, it's more stuff to scan for when doing a virus scan or defrag. Why is Microsoft setting me up for something I cannot use? Are they just setting themselves up on my computer for their own gain?

What's with these guys? There is no place for me to checkmark that I don't want these during an update. They should not be putting more work into my computing like: Me trying to figure out what they are doing, me trying to uninstall these things, and making me do research to see why they are doing these things. 

Do I go to Microsoft and give them a shovel and rake and say that they need this, so take this even though they don't want it?

Is this a control thing?

Anyone know the real answer for this? I don't need any shared crap for my office either.

Which version of Office are you running?
Later versions it's all or nothing as far as I can see, I'm a bit surprised you managed to only install Word if you're using a later version.
:dubbio:

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Which version of Office are you running?
Later versions it's all or nothing as far as I can see, I'm a bit surprised you managed to only install Word if you're using a later version.

What do you mean "all or nothing"?

So far as I'm aware, one has always been able to go Add/Remove Programs -> Change and then uncheck the Office programs you don't want.

It's always annoyed me that some organizations disable some of the lesser used programs - hey, SOME people might want to use those!

That said, I disable SharePoint, because I have no use for it. I install all the other programs, including Access, InfoPath, Publisher, etc.

If you install Office 2016 (IIRC) or any later version you have to install everything, there is no way of selecting which parts of the suite to install as there was on earlier versions.
If you have a version earlier than 2016, you can change the configuration using the programs and features dialogue.
If you only had Word installed, I'm surprised that you suddenly got everything when the program updated, I'm sure that shouldn't have happened!
Which version are you actually running?

27 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

If you install Office 2016 (IIRC) or any later version you have to install everything, there is no way of selecting which parts of the suite to install as there was on earlier versions.
If you have a version earlier than 2016, you can change the configuration using the programs and features dialogue.
If you only had Word installed, I'm surprised that you suddenly got everything when the program updated, I'm sure that shouldn't have happened!
Which version are you actually running?

Hmm... maybe this only applies to certain Office products.

I deployed Office 2019 Professional Plus just last week using the Office Deployment Tool and you can uncheck all the stuff you don't want. In this, I unchecked Skype, Teams, and OneDrive products and just left the "real" Office applications in, as this was in a corporate environment.

The click to run version might not prompt for that, but I think using ODT you could change it or go into Change the installation afterwards and uninstall those components.

Not as straight forward as the MSI installer I use for Office 2010, but it should still be possible. I'm most familiar with 2010, but based on my experience with 2019/365, it seems that capability is still there as well. Maybe this is the home 365 version or something?

I am using Office 2007. Yes I can go to Office in Programs in Control panel and remove items I don't want. Anyhow still doesn't answer my question about why I am getting all those updates that I don't have. Can't Updates look at the system and see what I have? Other downloads can look at your system and tell if you have 64 bit and what version of Windows you have so why can't Microsoft Updates be more exact to what my system has on it? Stupid! I don't know if this is a mistake in their system or they are control freaks that think they know what I need. Or don't need but they want to put their footprint on my computer even deeper. Fools!

I have Office 2010 installed on Windows XP on my main machine, and on Windows 10 on another machine, and I don't have Outlook installed because I don't need it.
However when updates are rolled out through Windows Update I still got updates for Outlook if they are available.
This does not re-enable Outlook in my Office installation though.
I guess they still download and apply the updates even for sections of the Office Suite that you're not using so it's fully patched if you ever do decide to activate them.

I use the click to run version of Office 2019 on Windows 10 on my main machine, and was given no choice as to what to install.
If you can choose if you use the Office Deployment Tool that's good, but I've never used that.
:)

So maybe we should run over to Microsoft and dump off our dirty underwear just in case they may need a rag or two to clean something. I got some tools in my garage that maybe I can dump off on their doorstop as well. My neighbor has a broken down car that has been sitting there for years. Maybe we should tow it over to Microsoft's parking lot and leave it for them just in case they could use something like that.

Microsoft, are you listening?

1 hour ago, forjonny said:

I am using Office 2007. Yes I can go to Office in Programs in Control panel and remove items I don't want. Anyhow still doesn't answer my question about why I am getting all those updates that I don't have. Can't Updates look at the system and see what I have? Other downloads can look at your system and tell if you have 64 bit and what version of Windows you have so why can't Microsoft Updates be more exact to what my system has on it? Stupid! I don't know if this is a mistake in their system or they are control freaks that think they know what I need. Or don't need but they want to put their footprint on my computer even deeper. Fools!

I want to say that in the past I haven't noticed getting updates like this but I haven't paid too much attention.

I have updates disabled now and every couple months I go in and install updates manually by downloading them from the Download Center or catalog, now that there aren't many updates for W7, no point in having the update service running in the background.

If you want to be really picky about that, I suggest you look into WSUS if you want to control what updates go through.

@forjonny

If you're using Office 2007 I'm surprised you're still getting updates at all.
Office 2010 supposedly went out of support last October, so surely Office 2007 must have gone out of support well before that?
Did you get the update you're referring to through Windows Update, or by some other means?

Yeah, just got the updates on as usual. I take them all. So what I did is to uninstall the ones from Office I did not want. But only a tech would do that. Tell me, when you gonna get a haircut?

And why are you triple booting your computer.

Was this a recent install of Office 2007 then?
If so the first time an update check was done after the install you would have got all the updates that were available up to end of support.
I'll be very surprised if you get any more in future though!
If parts of the suite that you don't want have been installed by the updates, just uninstall them using the programs and features dialogue. That should still work in Office 2007 as far as I know. You shouldn't get any more updates or unwanted reconfigurations after you've done that.

As for my hair, I assume you're looking at my avatar, but you should see it now after more than two months of lockdown here in England if you think that's long!
As for triple booting, what can I say? I'm a computer nerd!
:lol:

LOL! :lol:

If I were you, if you've uninstalled any of the Office 2007 updates, I would do a manual Windows Update check and let them install again, and then make sure that the Office Suite is configured the way that you want it.
If you only want to use Word, disable everything else using the installation modification feature in Programs and Features.
The updates for the parts of the suite you're not using will still be on the machine, but they shouldn't do any harm other than using a bit of disk space.
I very much doubt if you'll be troubled by any more updates, but if you leave the existing ones uninstalled they will install again if you do another update check for any reason.
:)