figuring out new hardware

sunryze

So I am currently rocking a 1050 Ti and I am looking for a new GPU. I wish for my hardware to at least RUN on XP or Vista (so definitely 10 series nvidia) so I was wondering how the 1080 / 1080 Ti performs on XP, Vista, and 7. I just want the ability in the future for those choices.

Figured this would work best here in the Windows 7 part because its basically mostly NT 6.x.

GT/GTX 10 Series does not have drivers for XP so performance will be very nearly 0. Vista performance with 10 series is crippled. If memory serves, DirectX performance is miserable. Any 10 series will work fine with 7, though.

Perhaps you should consider a GTX 980ti. It works wonderfully with XP, Vista, and 7, and is only a bit slower than a 1080 would be.

56 minutes ago, i430VX said:

GT/GTX 10 Series does not have drivers for XP so performance will be very nearly 0. Vista performance with 10 series is crippled. If memory serves, DirectX performance is miserable. Any 10 series will work fine with 7, though.

Perhaps you should consider a GTX 980ti. It works wonderfully with XP, Vista, and 7, and is only a bit slower than a 1080 would be.

The thing is, for the same price but also getting rid of XP and Vista support I could snatch up an RTX 3060 Ti and be more powerful than a 2080 Ti, but I also don't necessarily need that, but it would also be a good amount of futureproofing. Wondering if it's worth getting the older gen card or not.

1 hour ago, Tonny52 said:

The thing is, for the same price but also getting rid of XP and Vista support I could snatch up an RTX 3060 Ti and be more powerful than a 2080 Ti, but I also don't necessarily need that, but it would also be a good amount of futureproofing. Wondering if it's worth getting the older gen card or not.

Have you considered dual gpu? I have used win98 and win7 on same board once. Had radeon hd 4800 pci e I think and nvidia 6600 pci e on same machine. I disabled Unsupported gpu on win98 and was able to use 6600 on it. I wont remember all details but that is possible. Should work even with xp. That of course works only if you got 2x pci e slots

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

8 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Have you considered dual gpu? I have used win98 and win7 on same board once. Had radeon hd 4800 pci e I think and nvidia 6600 pci e on same machine. I disabled Unsupported gpu on win98 and was able to use 6600 on it. I wont remember all details but that is possible. Should work even with xp. That of course works only if you got 2x pci e slots

Well I could use XP and Vista on more compatible hardware (I have a 3rd gen i5 system and laptop) so I think a 3060 Ti would work well for me because its the best value for what it is. I don't necissarily need the latest and greatest, so I could get a 1080 Ti but the 3060 Ti would also be a better deal, but using the 1080 Ti or 2060 would give me 8.1 support.

21 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Well I could use XP and Vista on more compatible hardware (I have a 3rd gen i5 system and laptop) so I think a 3060 Ti would work well for me because its the best value for what it is. I don't necissarily need the latest and greatest, so I could get a 1080 Ti but the 3060 Ti would also be a better deal, but using the 1080 Ti or 2060 would give me 8.1 support.

I am running dual system on same monitor and keyboard using KVM switch. I got XP system (Phenom 2 X4 945, 4gb ram, 8800gts) and "Modern" win7 and linux system (ryzen 7 2700x, rx580 8gb, 32gb ram) both in my dell ultrasharp, g110 keyboard and g203 mouse. I can use logitec gaming software on both since passtrough and can go to xp or modern system with press of button my desktop. Maybe KVM dual pc setup would work to you too. I can enjoy both of them whenever want

6 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I am running dual system on same monitor and keyboard using KVM switch. I got XP system (Phenom 2 X4 945, 4gb ram, 8800gts) and "Modern" win7 and linux system (ryzen 7 2700x, rx580 8gb, 32gb ram) both in my dell ultrasharp, g110 keyboard and g203 mouse. I can use logitec gaming software on both since passtrough and can go to xp or modern system with press of button my desktop. Maybe KVM dual pc setup would work to you too. I can enjoy both of them whenever want

Possibly, my PC is really new for Vista and older (for some reason it ran fine on Vista when I tried it though, never had any timing or logon errors even after multiple reboots). I can probably do a KVM setup like you said, so I can have my main PC running Windows 10 Enterprise (Probably the previous H2 release for stability. Currently its Windows 10 1803 Enterprise and Windows 7 in a dual boot). Once 1803 goes EOL, I'm going to move that to 1909 Enterprise and get 1 more year of support. This means I only have to update once a year, or go to the latest H2 release and update once every two years.

11 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

I can probably do a KVM setup like you said, so I can have my main PC running Windows 10 Enterprise

That will work.

When looking kvm look one with usb and hdmi and support to usb passtrough, support monitor refresh rate and resolution, seperate button to switch between systems.

Passtrough is needed to use usb hub or gaming keyboard or mouse features like quick keys, lights etc.

I got shared usb ports since that between my systems and gaming mouse and keyboard works fully.. KVM switch model is ATEN CS692. It works fine to my system with resolution 1920x1200*60hz that is it max on spec sheet

8 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

That will work.

When looking kvm look one with usb and hdmi and support to usb passtrough, support monitor refresh rate and resolution, seperate button to switch between systems.

Passtrough is needed to use usb hub or gaming keyboard or mouse features like quick keys, lights etc.

I got shared usb ports since that between my systems and gaming mouse and keyboard works fully.. KVM switch model is ATEN CS692. It works fine to my system with resolution 1920x1200*60hz that is it max on spec sheet

I have an OMV i5 3570K system that I could use this on. Create a QEMU VM on that PC, passthrough a GPU, USB card and have it share the ethernet of the main system. After doing that I could just hook up the KVM and it would "act" like a physical system even though its actually a virtual machine, so I can still keep that system acting like a NAS. Is there any KVM that can handle 3x monitors possibly?

14 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Is there any KVM that can handle 3x monitors possibly?

there is some but hard to say depending from your area where can get. Seen some supporting up to 4 monitors.

Second and much better option is if your monitor got two ports is buy single port switch and hook two other monitors to both systems using monitor ports like this:

PC1--->gpu dvi/hdmi/vga port-->kvm switch-->monitor 1

-->display cable1>monitor2 input 1

-->display cable1>monitor3 input 1

-->display cable1>monitor2 input 2

-->display cable1>monitor3 input 2

PC2--->gpu dvi/hdmi/vga port-->kvm switch-->monitor 1

this way you can have relatively cheaply and easily kvm and multimonitor setup