is windows xp 64 bit better than the x86 version of xp?

legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to im thinking of moveng to xp 64 bit and would like to no if its worth it to move to it from xp x86 edition?

I think whether or not it'll be worth it to you depends on what you like to do with your XP machine and what parts you're able to get.

During XP's support period, XP64 had a reputation for not being supported by hardware/software. I personally have rarely run into that issue ... at least until after XP lost favor with Microsoft, and compilers stopped providing support for XP, thus causing newer programs to not work. But that's a hurdle all XP OSes face.

The main advantage with XP64 is the ability to run 64-bit programs. If you're doing things that require a lot of RAM (e.g. running a web browser with a ton of tabs, video editing, rendering complex 3D scenes, gaming, etc.) you will definitely appreciate this feature. It's not just XP32 that is (normally, without the PAE mod) limited to 4GB; 32-bit programs in general, I believe, are also unable to use more than 4 GB of memory.

64-bit programs can use much more than 4 GB; I'm not sure what the upper limit is. And if you're like me and you max out the (normal?) memory cap of XP64 with 128 GB (because I'm nuts) your 64-bit programs will have a LOT of real estate to use. (I'm not sure if XP64 can go higher than 128 GB. Windows XP64 is technically more kin to Windows Server 2003, and Server 2003's Enterprise and Datacenter editions can take up to 1 TB of RAM.)

The main drawback will be that you'll lose the ability to run 16-bit programs. If you've got some favorite 16-bit apps and you upgrade to XP64, you'll either need to have a spare machine running a 16 or 32-bit OS, have your computer dual boot with such an OS, or run those in a virtual machine.'

The other question will be sourcing parts that are known to work on XP64 and have driver support. When @XP-x64-Lover located drivers for the X99 SABERTOOTH motherboards, I used that opportunity to give my daily driver some of the best hardware I could find for such a system: i7-6950X CPU, 128 GB of RAM, and with the .inf driver mod described at Matt's Repository, a GTX TITAN X (Maxwell version). It was a long-needed overhaul and damn worth it for what I do.

I don't know offhand if we have a database of motherboards with known driver support for XP64, so before you take the plunge you'll want to do research. Odds are if your desired parts have XP drivers, they should have XP64 drivers or at least their chipset will. However, you will want to be sure before you try anything.

That sounds like a new computer? So it should have a 64-Bit capable processor at least, which our computers got around 2007. Smaller computers like netbooks came shortly afterwards, like the Intel Atom of 2009, which was still 32-Bit only.
You have to get the proper Windows XP drivers for your machine. The question is, whether the manuafacturer provides any Windows XP drivers. Brand new motherboards won't have XP support, because Microsoft ended the XP support a lot of years ago.

On 2/25/2021 at 6:43 AM, VistaEX said:

duel boot

By the way, I like "duel booting" too! Old Windows 98 Pentium 3 against a Linux notebook with an Intel Atom. This particular Linux system uses the old SysV starting technique, which it's not optimised for speed. And the Windows 98 machine wins the "duel" on booting, despite being ten years older, but also ten times bigger!

On 2/24/2021 at 9:35 PM, VistaEX said:

i guess i will stick with x86 version because i dont have any drivers that will work with 64 bit xp:unsure:

Yeah. I was looking into it and, at least at a cursory glance, Dell actually didn't support XP64 for the Latitude E6430. Even though XP32 is explicitly supported. The only available driver/software downloads are for XP32. I'm a bit surprised.

That might not be the be-all end-all; there could be drivers out there which Dell doesn't have listed on this page. You might try asking @XP-x64-Lover for help; if they're out there, she might know where.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:35 AM, VistaEX said:

i guess i will stick with x86 version because i dont have any drivers that will work with 64 bit xp:unsure:

Well you just tell your PCconfiguration: CPU, GPU, Motherboard and we will tell you is it possible to install XP on that.

XP 64 drivers are myth from 2005-2006. And it is mostly not true. Geforce GTX 980 and all Maxwells, Core I7-3770k and up to Skylake possible. There is no big difference in drivers availability and if your configuration have XP-64 drivers, then who care if some eccentric old rare lan card that you don't have don't have XP64 driver. You know what i mean?

I just found this article.

As-well as this: https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-Bit-and-Server-Bit-on-Modern-Hardware.html#msg61916

It shows that work on improving XP still are going. So i advice you to tell us your config, and if it compatible try XP64.

Edited by Rod Steel

20 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

That sounds like a new computer? So it should have a 64-Bit capable processor at least, which our computers got around 2007. Smaller computers like netbooks came shortly afterwards, like the Intel Atom of 2009, which was still 32-Bit only.
You have to get the proper Windows XP drivers for your machine. The question is, whether the manuafacturer provides any Windows XP drivers. Brand new motherboards won't have XP support, because Microsoft ended the XP support a lot of years ago.

By the way, I like "duel booting" too! Old Windows 98 Pentium 3 against a Linux notebook with an Intel Atom. This particular Linux system uses the old SysV starting technique, which it's not optimised for speed. And the Windows 98 machine wins the "duel" on booting, despite being ten years older, but also ten times bigger!

I have a e6430 latitude laptop from 2011 4 years before support ended for xp

4 hours ago, Rod Steel said:

Well you just tell your PCconfiguration: CPU, GPU, Motherboard and we will tell you is it possible to install XP on that.

XP 64 drivers are myth from 2005-2006. And it is mostly not true. Geforce GTX 980 and all Maxwells, Core I7-3770k and up to Skylake possible. There is no big difference in drivers availability and if your configuration have XP-64 drivers, then who care if some eccentric old rare lan card that you don't have don't have XP64 driver. You know what i mean?

I just found this article.

As-well as this: https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-Bit-and-Server-Bit-on-Modern-Hardware.html#msg61916

It shows that work on improving XP still are going. So i advice you to tell us your config, and if it compatible try XP64.

i have a e6430 with intel hd grahpics 4000 intel i5 3generation  and a toshiba 298gb hdd and a centrino adanced n 6205 wifi adapter

@VistaEX Through this post, you would get all your questions answered. If not, ask me and I will answer. Your e6430 will surely run XP x64 just fine. The memory limit of 4 GB on x86 versions is raised to 128 GB on XP (or Vista and Win7) x64.

First, install XP x64. Prefer using an updated ISO.

Then, install drivers using Driver booster. You can also use Snappy Driver installer, but Driver Booster worked best for me. All your drivers including Intel HD 4000 driver will be installed. 

Use 360Chrome for web browsing and Avast AV. For a complete guide on how to eliminate Chinese telemetry and convert Chinese to English, check out @ArcticFoxie's incredibly helpful tutorial on how to do so. 

Almost all apps compatible with XP x86 are compatible with x64 too.

@XP-x64-Lover and @TrevMUN , any suggestions?

Edited by Win10-Hater

7 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

Then, install drivers using Driver booster. You can also use Snappy Driver installer, but Driver Booster worked best for me.

Yes great choices; I would suggest using Snappy Driver Origin personally as from what I have heard it is more reputable. Certainly is a good idea to use a variety because some catch other drivers that one may miss. Although, it's VERY important to keep in mind to make full OS image backups before installing drivers lest you end up with a blue screen of death. As sometimes driver software will hand you drivers that may not be completely compatible out of the box with XP x64; if at all that is. You can use a free disk application called MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 11.4. Just use the feature Migrate OS to SSD/HD Wizard and then from there pick option A or B. (The reason I suggest this older version is because the last time I checked later versions dropped that feature from the free product).

7 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

Use 360Chrome for web browsing and Avast AV.

Hmm, I have yet to play around with 360Chrome, but it does look promising! &&~ Oh and Avast AV is also a great choice Indeed. Well, here is another option; I have found that Comodo Internet Security Premium 11.0.0.6802 seems to work quite well on XP x64 and still scans properly; also it still receives AV / Web Definition Updates. Seems to be the last truly stable and functional version now (At least from my tests). Since many versions of 12 have some bugs / compatibility issues with XP x64 or have completely dropped support altogether. (Make sure to download and keep Ciscleanuptool x64 around in case you wish to properly uninstall Comodo in the future). &&~ Also, if you are looking for another nice layer of security; I have found NoVirusThanks OSArmor works well with XP x64 and is free for XP users. Well, I wish you luck @VistaEX and if you need help with something I'm sure you shall find it, just make sure to do as much research as you can and lay out a plan; that way it will be more or less a smooth process.

Edited by XP-x64-Lover
More Information x2.

• legacyfan changed the title to im thinking of moveng to xp 64 bit and would like to know if its worth it to move to it from xp x86 edition?
  • 1 month later...
On 3/22/2021 at 6:50 PM, erpdude8 said:

the only issue with using XP x64 edition is no hibernation support when having 4Gb+ RAM
not a big deal though

In WinXP 64-bit you can use hibernation but it depends on the hardware. All you need to do is switch in boot.ini:

maxmem=4096

• ThinkPad X61 C2D, 4GB RAM - hibernation OK
  • ThinkPad X220 i5, 8GB RAM - hibernation FAIL

WinXP 64-bit hibernation

Edited by reboot12