Does anybody have this old 256 MB USB stick (photos included)?

Gansangriff

Okay, here we have an old 256 MB USB stick. It's slightly bigger than a finger. Of course there was a driver CD with it, when it was new. That was required to get the thing to operate under Windows 98, which didn't have a generic USB driver like later Windows versions.

DSC00040.jpg.159735e38fe1c224c081c3c713ddd443.jpg

Surely we have genereric USB drivers now for Windows 95 and Windows 98. For whatever reason, I have trouble with them on Windows 98 First Edition and on Windows 95. It's different on Windows 98 SE, where the NUSB-driver does recognise every USB device. Does anyone here around the globe have the exact same USB stick with the original driver CD? Probably it's hard to track the name of the USB stick down. The chip on the mainboard, which was manufactured by Phison, didn't give me more information out of the internet. If just someone would have the same USB stick with more information or a driver CD, that would be fantastic...

Try: "RLUSB Generic USB Mass Storage Driver for Windows 95. This Driver supports USB Floppy, CD, DVD and Blu-Ray Drives in addition to Hard Drives and Keys."

Also: "Windows 98 RTM has a flaw causing occasional corruption of IDE as well as USB Drives, when transferring data, so use of USB Drives in Windows 98 RTM is not recommended."

@jumper Interesting! Wasn't it after Bill Gates tried to connect a USB scanner to a Windows 98 computer at the Windows 98 release demo, it resulted in a Bluescreen? Well, I did use an old digital camera like a USB drive with Windows 98 First Edition, but it was a bulky solution. However, there were no connection problems at all, after I installed the driver for the camera. And the IDE drive is still spinning after 22 years.

At least it's a different generic USB driver, than the NUSB I've used before. I'll try it out, thank you!

17 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

@jumper Interesting! Wasn't it after Bill Gates tried to connect a USB scanner to a Windows 98 computer at the Windows 98 release demo, it resulted in a Bluescreen?

yes lol

17 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

Well, I did use an old digital camera like a USB drive with Windows 98 First Edition, but it was a bulky solution. However, there were no connection problems at all, after I installed the driver for the camera. And the IDE drive is still spinning after 22 years.

Wonder if offical microsoft service pack for windows 98FE adressed corruption issue. I remember downloading update to from windows update before got win98SE cd and even on win98fe only reason to drive corruption was bsod caused by one driver. I used 98FE 7 years and flash drives never caused issues

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

Those memory sticks were branded Integral here in the UK. My Dad had either the 256mb or 512mb and I had the 1GB version. I still have my 1GB and it emulates a floppy which has the driver on so I’ll see if I can access it and if so what OSes it supports