Windows System Control Center (WSCC)

WalksInSilence

WSCC is an umbrella GUI for large (300+) suite of small groups of utilities, including the MS Sysinternals Suite. 95% of them you'll probably never use or even forget you have. But its only around 250MB in total size so worth installing because over the years I've found specific instances where tools were recommended to fix certain problems and they were already on my PC as part of this suite.

It updates the tools (manually) quickly and easily, the program too. 

Some of the tools still need registering before they'll work fully with WSCC so you may need to launch them first time as standalones. Other than that there are no serious problems. However some tools have long been incompatible with XP and updates are adding to that list but WSCC (32 bit portable) itself has, up until now, worked perfectly with WinXP (32bit).

With WSCC v4.0.7.0 (32bit portable) that now appears not to be the case. On my WinXP VM (running on a Win7 64bit PC) the WSCC EXE updates but on launch the tools now won't load. I left it running for 10 minutes just in case it was, for some reason reinstalling all the tools. It was not. Importing a freshly set up and tested 32bit portable installation from the host PC produced the same result.

In the end I found a download for the previous WSCC 32bit portable v4.0.5.8 and just substituted the v4.0.7.0 EXE with that - worked perfectly. BTW be careful when using installer archive web sites in general that you click to install the thing you want and not the minefields of click bait PUP or worse downloads some of them include.

It could just be a problem with the specific program update. That seems unlikely as there's no problem with the 32bit version running on Win7 (64bit) PC so I'd suggest anyone who might be using WSCC v4.05.8 32bit portable on a WinXP PC does not try to update the program for now.

This looks like it could be another program which will only run using an older software version on a XP machine. The increasing importance of archiving those versions, portable ones and offline installers is obvious.     

Edited by WalksInSilence

• 1 month later...

Just to update this: there's a new WSSC update v4.0.7.1 (26.03.21) - just tried it in portable version (32bit) on the XP VM and the same problem repeats: it won't load any of the tools after updating.

Looks like v4.0.5.8 is going to be the final XP compatible WSSC version.

I have actually contacted KLS Soft in the past about an earlier problem. They were quick to respond and, good as their word, it was fixed in the next release. I was hoping that would be the case this time so I didn't bothered to contact them about this specific XP one.

Its not been fixed so indeed I will be getting in touch with them about this.

Edited by WalksInSilence