do you plan on continuing to use windows xp? (community poll by vistaex)

legacyfan

do you plan on continuing to use Windows xp? (community poll by vistaex)  

49 members have voted

1. 1. do you plan on continuing to use Windows xp? (community poll)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 03:30 PM

For me using xp is not just the internet. It is lot more too.

I got adobe photoshop, gimp2, paintdotnet, illustrator for photo editing.

Then pinnacle 12, adobe premiere, avidemux for video editing. For listening radio/scaning radio freqs I got SDRsharp with RTL-SDR dongle. For tv I got happauge wintv soloHD DVB-C/DVB-T/DVB-T2 tuner that I use with DVBviewer to watch/record free tv channels.

Then I got lot of films/videos/music/other contect on my hdd and windvd to play ones I got on dvd. For remote management of computers I got putty (latest build). Then I got old visual studio, pythonXP, microsoft XDX, symbian SDK for coding.

For web I use mypal browser by Feodor2 and for email mailnews and for chatting escargot msn messenger 7.5 trough httpsproxy. I am sending this post from that xp system.

For word editing office xp and openoffice. For pdf view sumatrapdf, then to sync data off phone nokia pc suite

Then got plenty of games (half-life 1, 2, ms flight sim 2004, sims3, toca 3, quake 3, doom3, gt legends, dirt for starters) and all of my games controllers works on xp.

I cannot see lot more things I would have to do on pc. So no XP is not going anywhere soon on me.

And for some claims I found online.

1. XP will get flooded with viruses when connected to internet:

well possibly will get attacked if connected to internet directly with public IP like ADSL broadband did back in 2005 here. 80% of computers are not connected to internet rather to lan that redirects requests to gateway on router and to internet. I got NAT and proper network level firewall (no upnp) and did not have that issue. I also use up to date browser with noscript

2. XP cannot support sata hdd or over 137gb hdd:

yes xp cannot see more than 137gb if you got pre sp1 xp and no services packs at all. For sata if on achi mode need have sata controller driver I got 2x1tb hard drives on xp at SATA mode (both formatted at setup) and zero issues

3. XP cannot utilise multicore cpu:

XP home edition is limited to 2 physical cpu/cores and pro to 4 physical cpu/cores. Multi cpu and core systems were out way before even vista came out. I have seen xp workstation with 4x pentium 3 xeons long ago. I got quad core phenom x4 945 and all cores works well on multicore enabled application.

4. XP is not optimised to fast computers:

how do you define fast system? And it is not xp that utilises all system resources to it own use. Apps do and I have used lot of cpu intensive apps without notable slowdown compared win10 for example on same pc

if no sure test it and do not believe all FUD they spread online.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

20 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I must confess that I've started to go over to Firefox 85 on Windows 10 for sites like Facebook, because they are crawlingly slow in Firefox 52.9.
:ph34r:

have you tried change useragent for mobile on those sites? on about:config create new string called general.useragent.override.facebook.com and set value "Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Tablet; rv:51.0) Gecko/51.0 Firefox/51.0" without quotes. That should give you better performance but still desktop usable UI on facebook.

Thanks. I have tried different user agents on Facebook (I have an add-on which allows me to do that on a site by site basis) but they never seemed to make any difference.
I don't want to use the mobile version of the site because it looks awful on my desktop.
The new page layout has if anything made things even worse than they used to be, it's pretty slow and unresponsive even on Firefox 85!
Why they use ridiculously bloated huge javascript routines on sites like Facebook is quite beyond me, I'm sure it's not necessary.
:D

19 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks. I have tried different user agents on Facebook (I have an add-on which allows me to do that on a site by site basis) but they never seemed to make any difference.
I don't want to use the mobile version of the site because it looks awful on my desktop.
The new page layout has if anything made things even worse than they used to be, it's pretty slow and unresponsive even on Firefox 85!

Same issue as on new Youtube layout. Old one worked perfectly even on windows 2000 using palemoon 26.5 or Firefox 10 esr new one seems need hw accerlation to work proper.

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Why they use ridiculously bloated huge javascript routines on sites like Facebook is quite beyond me, I'm sure it's not necessary.
:D

likely to push you for newer browser and hardware. One site needed 10 javascripts to be allowed on noscript to enter 4 lines of text

YouTube is actually reasonably OK for me, the only thing which doesn't work is the video preview function when I put the cursor over a video in the list, which does work in Firefox 85, but not in Firefox 52.9 ESR.
I use this UA string on YouTube - "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0".
:)

@Mr.Scienceman2000 Maybe you could have a look at an Invidious instance (https://instances.invidio.us/) to watch Youtube videos. It allows you to watch Youtube videos but in a much more efficent way. It's like a real-time third-party hosted Youtube video index. The videos itself are loaded from Google servers, but what makes Youtube.com a bloated website nowadays is missing. Horray!

Thus far.. @roytam1 has done our community an enormous service with his proficient browser builds. So, between Firefox 52.9.1 ESR; Serpent, and New Moon, I'm able to do everything I need to. When I do have to use Chrome, regrettably, Vivaldi/Opera/Iron are all only based on 49, so I only use it when I truly need to because of 5 years of gaping security holes.

Otherwise.. I'm basically on a 'Rickroll' :)

Edited by XPerceniol
typo :(

On 2/21/2021 at 11:36 AM, Dave-H said:

YouTube is actually reasonably OK for me, the only thing which doesn't work is the video preview function when I put the cursor over a video in the list, which does work in Firefox 85, but not in Firefox 52.9 ESR.
I use this UA string on YouTube - "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0".
:)

Just to let you know, Video preview does not work in latest official Palemoon.

On 2/21/2021 at 7:51 PM, Gansangriff said:

@Mr.Scienceman2000 Maybe you could have a look at an Invidious instance (https://instances.invidio.us/) to watch Youtube videos. It allows you to watch Youtube videos but in a much more efficent way. It's like a real-time third-party hosted Youtube video index. The videos itself are loaded from Google servers, but what makes Youtube.com a bloated website nowadays is missing. Horray!

That is exactly what I was looking for. No need javascript, videos wont buffer and site wont lag all the time (on real youtube did despite fast 100mb/s broadband and fast quad core cpu).

The poll question and option is a little vague. For me, my PC is WinXP, and work is done on XP also. As long as this laptop's hardware do not wear out, and there is no necessity on win7 (or later) I have to use, I will continue use it.

• Dave-H changed the title to Do you plan on continuing to use XP? (Community poll by VistaEX)
On 2/21/2021 at 7:51 PM, Gansangriff said:

@Mr.Scienceman2000 Maybe you could have a look at an Invidious instance (https://instances.invidio.us/) to watch Youtube videos.

Can we upvote and comment on videos through that interface? I risked my google password and tried logging in, but received an error message: Unexpected char 'l' at 1:2. If not, what does the login do? How come I receive recommendations of videos I have already seen on Invidious? How does it know about them?

It's a neat idea, but the comments are central to my experience. On Invidious I can't even expand a thread by clicking "view x replies". The lag is real while typing on their site. Often I can't see the characters until several seconds later, and then have to backspace them all to correct a typo.

@j7n Unfortuneatly there are some functions missing in Invidious, indeed. Maybe you could try another Invidious instance. They sometimes behave differently. Depends on their load, too. I've read somewhere that running an Invidious instance generates a lot of traffic on the server, where it is run. So sometimes the number of users is limited and videos don't load, because too many use the service.

I've deleted my Youtube account, so I can't help you further. I'm just searching the video links on Invidious, and download them then as a whole on my hard drive, especially effective for long videos.

I voted "yes".

I will continue using XP, but as a VM on my Fedora 33 (Linux). The reason for this choice are several: lack of support of new hardware, programs dropping support for pretty much everything, C++ Redistributable no longer available, can't run Skype, can't run Teams, can't properly use Office 365 unless I use the browser, no AVID Media Composer, no Davinci Resolve, no x266 or H.266 VVC decoding nor encoding, no hardware acceleration for new-ish GPUs and no drivers whatsoever for new GPUs, no proper NVME support, no new version of Java and ultimately no UEFI support. I think that in the future, we're gonna see more and more users with a configuration like mine in which there's Linux installed as main OS, Windows 10 for work/productivity and lastly Windows XP/98/Android as VMs for anything else and nostalgia.