New power supply standard: ATX12VO

TrevMUN

On 10/18/2021 at 12:08 PM, TrevMUN said:

recapping older power supplies

Yes , a good idea , I think I'll do that , I still have plenty of German and Dutch caps from the 80's/90's.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

plenty of German and Dutch caps from the 80's/90's.

it is good idea test them with capacitor tester or other equipment. Caps from that era had chemicals that prevented drying of electrolyte (unlike today). Even they had that they can still dry out and go pop and smoke when used.

That era caps never leaked from me only gave smoke when failed. If they are in good shape you can have good lifespan out of them. Just make sure switch equipment on requarly to prevent drying out.

For solder I would say leaded solder if you got professional who can get it (it is recisted only licenced professional in europe because apparently I cannot know how handle anything toxic without expensive cert) or you have it on home. It is much better to solder with and lasts longer. I got some industrial Flux free lead solder

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

4 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Just make sure switch equipment on requarly to prevent drying out.

Thanks , I have the tools , also I keep the caps in a fridge , not the main fridge , of course , lol . I heard this before , does it really help ? I have plenty of new mobos and other parts in original boxes , can't imagine to turn them on regularly ...

15 hours ago, Dixel said:

I heard this before , does it really help ? I have plenty of new mobos and other parts in original boxes , can't imagine to turn them on regularly ...

it depends from age of equipment. Caps from that era could dry out sometimes if been used but age did not always mean no drying. PS3 for example had issue with capasitors drying out despite being from 2007. And generally if under 10 years between use times it will be ok. Mostly seen dried caps on original Macintosh (before Macintosh was fancy cult symbol) that had been last turned on in 1992 and was turned on after 30ish years.

So as long as you wont leave them stay there for 2040 without ever testing there should be no worries. Also solid state capasitors do not try out. This was more to your old capacitors.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:04 PM, jaclaz said:

Meet the pico-PSU:

https://www.onlogic.com/eu-en/technology/glossary/picopsu/

https://www.onlogic.com/eu-en/computers/components/power-supplies/picopsu/

These were born for "car computing" and of course they are "low power" as they used to be in common use with low - power mini-itx boards

Have been using these for some years, for clients that run embedded devices such as those with digital signage. I've always thought they look a bit hack-jobbish. The other side of the coin with these that the site mentions but doesn't show is that the power cord then used is the typical bulky notebook power adapter type, with the large brick in which you can then plug in a standard ATX or mickey mouse cable.

Then there are other options where the power connector onto the board is just like a notebook would have, without having to use that type of adapter. Such as the Asus H410T/CSM:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Business/Pro-H410T-CSM/