win9x: how work with drivers?

Joaquim

it was on system32\drivers... so i copy it to system... and reboot the laptop
on Device Manager, now say the company name on Device details(like the image)
but my network isn't on list :(

and the 'Atheros Client Utility' program tell me the 'Wireless Mode' is '????' like almost everything... but my hotspot isn't detected :(

"I'm late to the thread so apologies if you have already tried this --  go into your router's wi-fi config and verify you have it in the correct mode (a, b, g, n, b/g only, mixed)."

now i found it: Definitions - Mode 802.11' is '802.11 b/g/n'

i must change it to 'b/g'?

or B only. or G only. or disable WPA. or WEP. or turn ON something of.  

On 6/6/2021 at 4:07 PM, Joaquim said:

my hotspot was detected, on Windows 2000, with other mini card.

is ur hotspot can be detected on w2k WITH THIS CARD?

Edited by MERCURY127

"or B only. or G only. or disable WPA. or WEP. or turn ON something of.  "

i just did without success :(

"is ur hotspot can be detected on w2k WITH THIS CARD?"

my previous card, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG 3B Network Connection, detect my hotspot on W2K.

Please stick with ONE card.

What your "previous card" was able to do on W2k has nothing to do with a different card on W98.

You are running this thread IN CIRCLES when you do that and only turns other people away in trying to offer assistance.

Having said that...

Just because W98 installs hardware and driver and everything looks good in Device Manager, that does not mean that hardware is even capable of communicating with your router.

I can install an AM/FM radio in my car and the car's electrical system will see that radio and it will power up and everything, that doesn't mean it will pull in SiriusXM satellite radio or enable communications with OnStar.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG 3B Network Connection don't have drivers for windows 98.. see previous pages\posts...
but i have read some posts that can exist.. but i don't find it... that's why i buyed another card: Atheros AR5004G for get the drivers for windows 98
saying these: my final objective is getting Wireless\internet on windows 98

ACER Aspire 1690... true it's for WinXP, but i decide install the Win98... and, like you see, the problem is the Wireless(only)... the rest works fine... but no network :(

Upon further reading on my end, WPA and WPA2 is very difficult on 98/98SE.

I could probably get it to work if it were my equipment.

But guiding this process online is going to be far too time-consuming given the complexity level of the articles found via a Google-search on the topic.

The "easiest" I could find is this -> https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/win9x-wpa2/

But you already bought the AR5004G.

If I were you, I would return the AR5004G and get an adapter based on Ralink RT61 chipset and follow the link posted above.

That's probably about the best I can get you.

WPA and WPA2 is very difficult on 98/98SE and the learning curve is too steep for a forum back-and-forth.

Edited by ArcticFoxie