DVD drive thrashing upon open

Glenn9999

Lately, I notice when I try to open my DVD drive the tray "thunks" several times over about 30 seconds before I can get it to open.  Once the disk is in the drive, I can open and close the tray at will.  I did some debugging and found that Windows now has a feature called Zero Power ODD, which seems to be the cause of this behavior.  I tried the registry change on that page and didn't have any success in fixing this problem.  Has anyone encountered this and successfully found a fix?

Edited by Glenn9999

I would reckon that the issue is your drive's belts are worn, presuming it is a dekstop drive. Probably you can see the belt from the front when the tray is open. There are a few possible methods to fix this. Putting a cross in the belt may give it more tension. You can also submerse the belt in boiling water. The best solution, though, is to get a new belt. Doesn't need to be exact, it can even be one of those really small rubber bands... It just needs to fit between the pulleys that the original one did, and have tension when doing so.

17 minutes ago, i430VX said:

I would reckon that the issue is your drive's belts are worn, presuming it is a dekstop drive.

Why does the drive work perfectly once I get a disc in it?

Edited by Glenn9999

On 2/13/2021 at 10:18 AM, i430VX said:

No idea, but that's how it always is. EVERY drive I have had with worn belts opens fine with a disc in the drive.

Okay, problem confirmed.  If it's where I think it is in the drive, I'll be able to replace the belt, but need to find an adequate replacement.

The boiling water trick worked (for now - given the way the housing works, I had to actually take the drive apart to get to the belt), but looking for suitable replacement belts.  All I'm seeing on Ebay is labeled "For XBox 360" and really doesn't have specific measurements on the belts.  Is that what I'm going to want?  Looking at the belt situation on my Blu-ray player too (it occurred to me that a tray problem there might be a similar issue).

5 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Every Lite-On DVD drive I've used has the same issue as in the op. I just either use a paper clip or when I get fed up will replace the drive.

Every rubber belt driven piece of machinery has this same issue.  One could make a business out of pulling vacuum cleaners out of the trash that people thought were broken, replacing their belts, cleaning them up, and reselling them (and evidently DVD drives too).  I just never thought a DVD drive would be belt-driven, especially since all the other drives I worked with had direct cogs that operated the drive tray.

Edited by Glenn9999