Long posts truncated... new annoying bug?

roytam1

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Hi @dencorso, I do hope you're fine under these perilous times... :wub:
Many thanks for your moderation, but...

The first post in this newly created thread was supposed to be an immediate answer to a comment by @siria in that other "ginormous" thread; the logical place for it to exist is there (right after linked comment), it is out of context here... :(

It was upon submission of my comment (currently first in this thread) that I was bitten by the post truncation bug, which I believe is the same bug reported already by @roytam1 here ... ;)

I managed to edit back my truncated post, but ONLY ONCE ; the forum software now does not allow me any additional edits... :realmad: ; to be honest, I can't ascertain whether this is a different manifestation of the first bug (post truncation) or a different, second bug (inability to further edit own posts...) :dubbio:

At the time, it started as an exchange of thoughts between me and @roytam1 in his "big" thread, I wasn't yet sure what was going on (I thought something's gone awry at my end?) ; It was when I discovered I could no longer edit my own recent post that I, out of pure frustration, summoned an admin for further insight... :)

Well the faulty post quotes OK as you can see, although without the quotations within it.
Whether that means anything I don't know!

If you're feeling brave @VistaLoveryou could try selecting and copying the whole post, without the thing at the bottom left, and then try editing it and pasting into the empty box.
It would be interesting to see if that corrects the problem.
I could try it myself, but as there is obviously a risk that the post could be permanently completely lost, I'll leave it to you to try if you want to!
:lol:

21 hours ago, Dave-H said:

the faulty post quotes OK as you can see, although without the quotations within it.
Whether that means anything I don't know!

If you're feeling brave @VistaLoveryou could try selecting and copying the whole post, without the thing at the bottom left,
and then try editing it and pasting into the empty box. It would be interesting to see if that corrects the problem.
I could try it myself, but as there is obviously a risk that the post could be permanently completely lost, I'll leave it to you to try if you want to!

Bravery found, suggested experiment attempted (with trepidation!), end result is successful :cheerleader:
I've successfully edited my post:  

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182381-long-posts-truncated-new-annoying-bug/?do=findComment&comment=1195309

(9th in this thread, currently), but not back to its original length... :(
Additionally, 1st post in this thread is still editable, but up to a certain length (roughly the one displayed now), any of my edit attempts to add slightly more results in truncation, with loss of pre-existing content even... :angry: 
Still, my post here:  

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1195308

remains, to this point, non-editable, and nothing stands out as a possible culprit... 

19 hours ago, dencorso said:

It usually is due to IP.Gremlins®...

If something's wrong with my current IP, why am I allowed to edit some posts but not others?

Edited by VistaLover

Well I'm glad that experiment worked anyway!
:)

I'm still suspicious of quotations here.
That last post you link to I cannot edit either, and the only thing I can see perhaps slightly unusual about it is that it contains split quotations.
Now there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to do that of course, but I am wondering if the system doesn't like it for some reason.
:dubbio:

Weird and scary...
Due to own past experiences in various forums I usually try to remember to write longer posts in a text editor first, but not always succeed.. *whistle* And did a bit simple testing earlier, was glad to see at least editing is not time restricted to a few minutes now, and 3 edits of same post caused no probs either.

But just noticed in the initial screenshot:

"This comment can no longer be edited. It may have been moved or deleted, or too much time may have passed since it was posted for it to be edited."

"Moved"...? Uhm yes, the topic was moved, by splitting... That explains at least the "forbidden" editing, as the screenshot shows the URL was still the original topic :) And later, when editing was tried from the new URL, it was allowed again - makes sense.

Except for prob-1 of course, the cropped length prob remains. If it's intentional, it should at least WARN users before losing all their text!

And still prob-3, the empty editor field you guys report, sigh...

Oh great:
VistaLover said:
Still, my post here:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1195308
remains, to this point, non-editable, and nothing steps out as a possible culprit...

AARGH... there goes my nice theory about prob-2....

I don't think it's just that moved posts can't be edited.
Some of the uneditable posts haven't actually been moved, and I've moved quite a few posts recently and have subsequently edited them with no problem.
:dubbio:

Dave-H said:
I don't think it's just that moved posts can't be edited.
Some of the uneditable posts haven't actually been moved, and I've moved quite a few posts recently and have subsequently edited them with no problem.

Yes of course, but that's not what I meant.

The URL for editing must match the NEW topic URL too, or it can choke.
Actually I think I had that case just recently, but can't remember details anymore.... And not quite sure if it was here in this forum, or elsewhere... But I think it was also a case of a split+moved topic "while" I was still busy editing, and when sending it, the topic didn't match anymore.... There was also an error message about editing being forbidden, and some text about "perhaps moved"...

And yeah, sadly that reason only applies to the first case with the screenshot, the other cases must be due to some real new bugs :-( Edited by siria

I suspect that the error message sometimes being seen (but not always, sometimes there's just a blank edit field with no error message) is just a generic one from the system software, and doesn't necessarily have any relevance to what the problem actually is.
It's just a "I can't edit this post, and this might be why" message.
:)