Long posts truncated... new annoying bug?

roytam1

21 hours ago, siria said:

Sadly most files at external hosters tend to get lost very soon, while forum attachments survive as long as the forums.
Unless of course, if some users exchange them all the time for lack of space.
Perhaps a mixed strategy would be best, external hosters for only temporarily interesting stuff, and forum hosting for longterm important screenshots.

... Well, you're absolutely right :thumbup, I myself have fallen prey of attachment disappearance in many old posts on several web forums (i.e. not just here in MSFN) and it's quite frustrating when your Search Engine unearths a post from, say, 2005, only to find, upon arrival there, that crucial info meant to be found in a forum attachment is AWAL... :realmad: Most often, the image hoster itself has gone bust :(, others tend to auto-delete files with prolonged inactivity... :angry: 

Were it not for attachment size quota here in MSFN, I'd have stayed completely away from third party services, but, things being as they are, I see it as a necessary evil... :whistle:

I keep seeing tons of giant full-screen shots which could easily be cropped to the relevant parts.

Guilty as charged for some of my personal screengrabs, but in most of those cases I do have specific reasons I want ALL to be displayed/conveyed... 
Else, I do bother to crop and upload only relevant image parts - PNG format is very good for detail, but to save bandwidth I also like to upload as JPG... 

everyone using those &%$ embedded iframes for crossposting, please consider adding additionally a plain normal link

Well, we all know (and feel sympathetic towards you :) ) you're currently browsing MSFN with an antiquated browser engine, but, speaking personally, I do prefer those "Forum share" embedding links (offered by the hosters) to DIRECT image links; direct links to images have very short lifetimes, the hosters then re-direct you to full-blown webpages (not just the original image itself) laden usually with an exorbitant amount of ads/nuisances (even video), not all are intercepted by an adblocker... I'm sure your "old" browser would not even render any ads, but modern ones do...  ;)

Furthermore, when I paste a direct image link inside MSFN's post editor (with a modern browser that is), it auto-converts it into an inline image; there's still an option to "display as link instead", but I'd have to remember to scroll down to post's end and select that option; I usually don't, sorry...  :(

Edited by VistaLover

21 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Well, you're absolutely right :thumbup, I myself have fallen prey of attachment disappearance in many old posts on several web forums (i.e. not just here in MSFN) and it's quite frustrating when your Search Engine unearths a post from, say, 2005, only to find, upon arrival there, that crucial info meant to be found in a forum attachment is AWAL... :realmad: Most often, the image hoster itself has gone bust :(, others tend to auto-delete files with prolonged inactivity... :angry: 

Were it not for attachment size quota here in MSFN, I'd have stayed completely away from third party services, but, things being as they are, I see it as a necessary evil... :whistle:

Guilty as charged for some of my personal screengrabs, but in most of those cases I do have specific reasons I want ALL to be displayed/conveyed... 
Else, I do bother to crop and upload only relevant image parts - PNG format is very good for detail, but to save bandwidth I also like to upload as JPG... 

so you encountered the forum/server "bug" as well.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182378-long-message-got-truncated/?do=getNewComment

5 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

so you encountered the forum/server "bug" as well.

Apparently, yes... :realmad: My comment towards @siria was submitted via 360EEv13, I was very miffed :angry: to discover, after submission, that half of it never made it... 
I have now re-edited original post (actually, re-written from memory the truncated second part..) in latest Serpent 52.9.0, and this time it seems it has gone through OK... ;)

15 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Apparently, yes... :realmad: My comment towards @siria was submitted via 360EEv13, I was very miffed :angry: to discover, after submission, that half of it never made it... 
I have now re-edited original post (actually, re-written from memory the truncated second part..) in latest Serpent 52.9.0, and this time it seems it has gone through OK... ;)

not really, because the post is already truncated, if you don't/can't recover the lost part, editing truncated post will be succeed (in truncated form)

3 hours ago, dencorso said:

No, I wasn't. Then again, posting about it off-topic inside a ginormous thread does not seem to be the best way to report it, isn't it?  :dubbio:

created a thread here already:

I wasn't aware of this at all either, and I'm surprised to see the message about no longer being able to edit a message.
I have always thought that there was no time limit on editing posts here, but that may have changed with the last update to the forum software of course.
Any insight @xper?
:dubbio:

On 2/7/2021 at 6:07 AM, dencorso said:

posting about it off-topic inside a ginormous thread does not seem to be the best way to report it, isn't it:dubbio:

Hi @dencorso, I do hope you're fine under these perilous times... :wub:
Many thanks for your moderation, but...

The first post in this newly created thread was supposed to be an immediate answer to a comment by @siria in that other "ginormous" thread; the logical place for it to exist is there (right after linked comment), it is out of context here... :(

It was upon submission of my comment (currently first in this thread) that I was bitten by the post truncation bug, which I believe is the same bug reported already by @roytam1 here ... ;)

I managed to edit back my truncated post, but ONLY ONCE ; the forum software now does not allow me any additional edits... :realmad: ; to be honest, I can't ascertain whether this is a different manifestation of the first bug (post truncation) or a different, second bug (inability to further edit own posts...) :dubbio:

At the time, it started as an exchange of thoughts between me and @roytam1 in his "big" thread, I wasn't yet sure what was going on (I thought something's gone awry at my end?) ; it was when I discovered I could no longer edit my own recent post that I, out of pure frustration, summoned an admin for further insight... :)

Edited by VistaLover

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I wasn't aware of this at all either, and I'm surprised to see the message about no longer being able to edit a message.
I have always thought that there was no time limit on editing posts here, but that may have changed with the last update to the forum software of course.
Any insight @xper?

I think this is not caused by the forum update, but something outside (say, http server software, operating system, etc.) since it acted normally in 31 Jan.

Post truncation bug just occurred again in my previous post in this thread; when I try to edit, the editor shows no content to be edited... :realmad:

(Now posting again what was meant to be in previous post:)

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I have always thought that there was no time limit on editing posts here

Hi to you @Dave-H ; snow in central London today? :P
I got hit again mere minutes ago, by not being able to edit:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1195308

OSyhaE7.jpg

It's a fresh post I created 5min ago :( ; I went back to put in a missing closing bracket, but ... :crazy:
Perhaps it's got something to do with code blocks being present in the post body (pulling what's left of my hair here...) ?

I hope these bugs are identified and exterminated, they are a cause for sorrow here... 

Best greetings to the team! :)

Edited by VistaLover
addition of screenshot

@VistaLover
As a moderator, I should be able to edit all posts, and I've tried editing your posts in this thread.
I can edit them all except the one before your last one, where I don't get an error message, but I just get an empty box where the content should be so there's nothing for me to edit! I would show you a screen grab, but I can't upload the image file. As others have reported, I'm just getting -

"Sorry, an unknown server error occurred when uploading this file. (Error code: -200)"

Something has definitely gone wrong somewhere!
@dencorsocan you edit that post or upload files as a supervisor?

No snow where I am in West London BTW, but it's extremely cold!
:D

7 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

except the one before your last one, where I don't get an error message, but I just get an empty box where the content should be so there's nothing for me to edit! I would show you a screen grab, but I can't upload the image file.

Fortunately, imgur still works, so here you go: 

pTeNOG4.jpg

<OT>

9 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

No snow where I am in West London BTW, but it's extremely cold!

From my Vista weather gadget: 

PkdgluG.jpg

<OT/>

Thanks, it is now snowing here!
The only thing I can see at all odd in that post is that there appears to be what looks like part of a quotation box at the very bottom left.
I wouldn't expect to see that, so maybe something is corrupted in the code for that post.