Specific application needs JRE v1.7 in XP Pro to run but JRE won't install properly

videobruce

Yes , it did, at least the program 'sees' Java.

Ok, question; What (in the o/s)  would of stopped JRE from installing properly, specifically, unpacking the entire package which apparently included the missing registry file entry?

I went to the laptop that didn't have the problem and found 2 other Java versions listed in the Registry, if that may of been a reason it worked there. There were no Java entries in the Notebook.

Edited by videobruce
typos

That's a very good question.
I never had any problems installing Java on XP with the normal installer until later versions of Java 8, where the Java still worked, but the installer became incompatible with XP and wouldn't run at all.

It's not unusual to find multiple versions of Java on a system. Because some applications need specific versions, like with your problem where it needed specifically Java 7, installing a Java 8 version, for instance, does not uninstall any earlier versions which are already present. Different versions can coexist on the system quite happily.

The only thing I can think of is that something on the system in question was blocking the Java installer from completing everything that it had to do.
Could be security software of course. Did you ever try installing in Safe Mode, I can't remember?
Some installers won't work anyway in Safe Mode of course, but it's always worth a try.

It sounds like you're fine now anyway, and if you don't have anything else on the system that needs Java I can't see any reason to worry that it's not fully installed at system level.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

Never thought about Safe Mode, I haven't had to use that for probably a decade or so. No security software, virus or otherwise running there, since it's rarely used. The reason was it would be far more convenient to use that then the larger Laptop.

(Now, this is why the post in more than 1 forum :yes: )

BTW; did you compile that reg file yourself or copy that from your test install registry?

Edited by videobruce
add question

The reg file was just the equivalent key copied from the Java 8 installation on my XP system, with the paths and version numbers suitably altered for the Java 7 version you downloaded. So, a bit of both really. It was a "modified copy"!
:D

Which meant, I probably could of extracted the reg entry in the Laptop myself.  I did have to re-name the 2 folders JRE was placed in slightly.

I'm still leaning to the fact the Laptop already had a JRE folder (another version) which in itself 'helped' the 'update 8' version to find it's way.

Well I did the registry file with the default paths that the installer should have used, had it worked, so if your path to the JRE files wasn't exactly the same you would have needed to change it of course.
In fact you could almost certainly now move the JRE files back into a subfolder of the ASuite folder as it was before if you wanted to, and as long as you change the paths in the registry to match, it should still work.

As regards the Java installer failure, an alternative to trying Safe Mode would be to use msconfig and disable everything that's not necessary and try in a "clean boot" mode.
Whether this would have worked I don't know, but the installer would be more likely to still run in clean boot mode than it would be in Safe Mode.
:)