Specific application needs JRE v1.7 in XP Pro to run but JRE won't install properly

videobruce

I rarely touch Java, but what i have laying around is Jportable (from 2014). Portable Java environment that can run .jar files. I checked my old backups and its PackageVersion=7.0.55.0 This runs on xp x86 SP2 with SP3 reg hack.

Did some snooping and found this info that may be helpful. Here is an official link to the installer and a link where you can download the jPortable_7_Update_55_online.paf.exe that i've tested in the past. It links to the official file that they still host so i believe that running it would create a portable version even today.

http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=86895

DisplayVersion=7 Update 55
DownloadMD5=8793ef637ab0ea07973e81bf9515bd09

https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Java Portable/

If you try the portable route make a zip backup of your CommonFiles and JportLauncher folders for when they remove old versions from the web in the future.

Good luck!

Edited by MikeyV

@videobruce

If you're only trying to use Java 7 with one application, you may not actually need to have it installed to the system.
I have a couple of applications which use their own Java Runtime Environment, which came as part of their installation, and they don't use the system Java.

Try this.
Download the compressed archive of the Java 7 Update 80 JRE (the last Java 7 version AFAIK) from here.
Extract the files to the jre1.7.0_80 folder, and then copy it to the Program Files folder of the application that you want to use it.
You have to extract twice, as there is a .tar file inside the .gz file. You can use 7-zip for that.
Don't worry if there is an error message after the first extraction, it's actually all fine, just ignore it.
Rename the copied folder to "JRE".

If you're lucky, the application will now find the JRE and use it, and all will be well.
If it doesn't, it may be in the settings of the application somewhere to set where it looks for the JRE, and you can set it appropriately.
If the application won't actually run, check its registry entries and/or any configuration files to see if the Java path is there, and set it appropriately.

Good luck!
:)

I extracted the Java 7 file twice, placed it in "Program Folders", then re-installed 'ASuite', moved the 'renamed 'JRE' folder inside that program folder. All I get now is ASuite needs JRE 1.7.0 as opposed to the error message that JRE couldn't be found or something about registry corruption (I don't recall the exact wording).

Just to be clear, the JRE folder needs to be in the same folder as the ASuite program files.
If you just put it in the C:\Program Files folder that almost certainly won't work.
:)
EDIT: Oops, sorry, I see you actually did that! Remove the copy from the Program Files folder in case it's confusing things, so there's only one folder with the JRE files in it, and it's inside the C:\Program Files\ASuite folder.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Ah, thanks for that!

So it just might be possible to fool it by creating a key which will match the key that the Java installer would have created.

If you create a C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.7.0_80 folder, and move the files in the JRE folder into it, a key can probably be created to point to that folder, to make the installation as standard as possible.

Sort of like this perhaps?
:dubbio:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment]
"CurrentVersion"="1.7"
"BrowserJavaVersion"="10.80.2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.7]
"RuntimeLib"="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.7.0_80\\bin\\client\\jvm.dll"
"JavaHome"="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.7.0_80"
"MicroVersion"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.7.0_80]
"JavaHome"="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.7.0_80"
"MicroVersion"="0"
"RuntimeLib"="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.7.0_80\\bin\\client\\jvm.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.7.0_80\MSI]
"INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.7.0_80\\"
"JU"=""
"OEMUPDATE"=""
"FROMVERSION"="NA"
"FROMVERSIONFULL"=""
"PRODUCTVERSION"="7.0.800.15"
"EULA"=""
"JAVAUPDATE"="0"
"AUTOUPDATECHECK"="0"
"AUTOUPDATEDELAY"=""
"FullVersion"="jre1.7.0_80-b15"

Well I'm hoping that just giving ASuite access to the JRE files it needs will be enough, without actually installing Java to the system as a whole.
As I said, I've got two applications on my XP system which use their own JREs and don't use the system one at all, so it's just possible that ASuite might be persuaded to do the same.
:dubbio:

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

EDIT: Oops, sorry, I see you actually did that! Remove the copy from the Program Files folder in case it's confusing things, so there's only one folder with the JRE files in it, and it's inside the C:\Program Files\ASuite folder.

There is only one copy in the active partition and it's in the ASuite program folder.

2 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

It appears to be checking HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment for the JRE location, so simply dumping the JRE folder in ASuite probably won't work.

That's what I've been saying, either that and/or some dll's or similar that need to be spread around the O'S (as usual) so they can work with the java, the program and M$'s C++ 2008 the other bloated wonder this poorly written Televes program needs to work.

1 hour ago, RainyShadow said:

P.S. @videobruce in how many places did you post about this, lol? Googling for JRE ASuite shows at least half a dozen.

I'm a firm believer for more than than just a '2nd opinion'. 

Ill see if any of this works.