how does Windows 8.1 work on unsupported device

Jaguarek62

Hi,

I wanted to share my experience of running Windows 8.1 on Dell inspiron 15 3567 with 8th gen i3. I honestly did not expect this but after 40 hours of searching for all drivers, the system works amazingly well. Compared to Windows 10 the battery last around 6-7 hours compared to just 4. It also is more snappy. Even though there is no official support and no official drivers, the laptop is rock solid. Never had any bluescreen, nothing. I'm just wondering how windows 10 can be possibly worse when it has all the support (from dell, intel etc..). Ram usage is also lower on 8.1. Came from 3.7gb to just 1.6 gb. Btw that 3.7gb figure was taken from clean install of windows 10 (no preinstalled dell bloatware). Also I can set display brightness independently (like when the computer is on charger or running from battery). That did not work on Windows 10. On Windows 8.1 there is no random "Fan ramp up" when the computer is running idle or playing videos. I tried windows 7 but unfortunately dell locked windows 7 in bios. It actually says that windows 7 is not supported on this device and bios prevented it from booting (very strange in my opinion). I have picture of this behavior if anyone is interested. Windows 8.1 is running on this device since november 2020 btw.

I also have to share that Win8.1 works flawlessly on a cheap MacBook Air clone that I with a Pentium n4200 (Apollo Lake CPU based on Kaby Lake CPUs) with all drivers (installed using Driver Booster) except the Intel HD Graphics 505 driver. The stock MS Basic Display Adapter driver is used, and mysteriously, Aero Glass for Win8+ works! Windows 10 was sloooooooooow on that laptop, compared to 8.1 which is a lot faster. 

3 minutes ago, Win10-Hater said:

I also have to share that Win8.1 works flawlessly on a cheap MacBook Air clone that I with a Pentium n4200 (Apollo Lake CPU based on Kaby Lake CPUs) with all drivers (installed using Driver Booster) except the Intel HD Graphics 505 driver. The stock MS Basic Display Adapter driver is used, and mysteriously, Aero Glass for Win8+ works! Windows 10 was sloooooooooow on that laptop, compared to 8.1 which is a lot faster. 

Actually there is a way to get intel hd 505 working under windows 7 and 8. I'll have a look and pm you the link to the article I used to get uhd 620 working.

Pic please @Jaguarek62

BTW, does Intel HD Graphics 620 have drivers for Windows 8.0 and/or 8.1? I plan to upgrade the i3 6006u on my Inspiron 15 3567 to an i5 by replacing the chipset, but there are no chipset replacements for that laptop which have Skylake i5 CPUs which fully support Windows 7, 8.0 and 8.1.

2 minutes ago, Win10-Hater said:

Pic please @Jaguarek62

BTW, does Intel HD Graphics 620 have drivers for Windows 8.0 and/or 8.1? I plan to upgrade the i3 6006u on my Inspiron 15 3567 to an i5 by replacing the chipset, but there are no chipset replacements for that laptop which have Skylake i5 CPUs which fully support Windows 7, 8.0 and 8.1.

here is my device manager: https://prnt.sc/yepa6c

Aside from the fingerprint driver (there is modding group working on it) everything is installed. The uhd 620 does not have official driver but I found some folks modding the kabylake one.

7 minutes ago, Win10-Hater said:

but there are no chipset replacements for that laptop which have Skylake i5 CPUs which fully support Windows 7, 8.0 and 8.1.

Actually if you are able to find kabylake chipset then there are drivers for 7/8/8.1. It is just not "officially" supported.

Edited by Jaguarek62
Fixed my typo