Extreme Explorer 360 -- A How-To Guide (converting remaining Chinese to English)

Very nice ArcticFoxie. I did go through similar process but I had a slightly different approach. with version 12 of 360Chrome.

I did not really care about the translation, however instead of using the Host file I simply went through the dlls and replaced all domain names strings with invalid ones.

The Host technique is simpler and better though.

I like to keep the errorpage.zip because I prefer to see errors in Chinese than no errors. the newpage.zip is the first thing I removed.

I like very much your modifications. I think you should consider to do an other repack (just a 7z-ipped folder) so that everyone can enjoy better translation without going through the hassle of doing it for himself.

The only thing I do not use from your suggestion is the additions in the [RunAfter] section because I prefer to have the Browser remember tabs and browser history, but that is a personal pref..

Also I was wondering if anyone could take the time to go through errorpage.zip and translate most common errors (google translate can give a good starting point).

1 hour ago, RamonUn said:

however instead of using the Host file I simply went through the dlls and replaced all domain names strings with invalid ones.

I have done that also.

It's why "HxD Hex Editor" is suggested in the first post but the "How-To Guide" hasn't gotten that far yet  :)

8 hours ago, RamonUn said:

Do you have any idea of what is the "MobileAdapter.dll" for...

It's junk , just delete it . Seems like yet another spying "feature" . The only needed dlls are

audiomute.dll

chrome.dll

chrome_elf.dll

d3dcompiler_47.dll

libEGL.dll

SnapPlugin.dll

From what I can gather, the "libGLESv2.dll" file is needed for older graphics cards for 3D rendering.

Not sure "how old", per se, as none of my computers seem to be old enough to "require" this file for 3D rendering.

I don't really do a lot of 3D graphics via web browser.

I used this as a test - https://www.wirple.com/bmark/

Mypal 27.9.4 scored 461.

palemoon-27.9.7.win32-git-20210220-3b1d2cdd8-xpmod scored 384.

palemoon-28.10.3a1.win32-git-20210220-729367b92-uxp-2b6effbf2-xpmod scored 618.

bnavigator.win32-20210220-355db4de-uxp-2b6effbf2-xpmod scored 608.

basilisk52-g4.8.win32-git-20210220-d9301c4-uxp-2b6effbf2-xpmod scored 645.

And, drum roll, please  --  360Chrome v13 build 2206 scored 2941.  :cheerleader:

360Chrome v12 build 1592 scored 2565.

360Chrome v11 build 2251 scored 2457.

For that matter there is a folder named "swiftshader" with these files : libGLESv2 and libEGL . So one may may safely delete them from the main folder .

I tried it with version 13 and works fine with your test om my 8 years old GPU. I don't have anything older at the moment.

And I'm sorry , but you're wrong , please do read before posting .

"SwiftShader is a high-performance CPU-based implementation of the Vulkan graphics API12"

"NOTE: SwiftShader's OpenGL ES frontend is no longer supported, and will eventually be removed."

https://github.com/google/swiftshader

It has nothing to do with GPUs . It's CPU only . Besides , it's to be used with Vulkan only. Who has this "vulkan", I mean users with 360  !?

So one can safely delete them , at least from the main folder. The less chinese dlls , the better. 

Also , my advice to you and all English speaking replace icudtl.dat with the original file from Chrome with the corresponding version.

21 hours ago, Dixel said:

Also , my advice to you and all English speaking replace icudtl.dat with the original file from Chrome with the corresponding version.

This file in 360Chrome has exactly the Same SHA-256 than the version in ungoogled-chromium_86.

SHA-256: 27993E2079711D5F0F04A72F48FEE88B269604C8E3FBDF50A7F7BB3F5BFC8D8E
I did not check the original Google Chrome version but if there were any difference I would prefer to keep the ungoogled one.

It seems newer versions of D3DCompiler_47.dll can be loaded under WinXP (according to Dependency Walker).

In 360Chrome 13 you have version 10.0.17134.12 with a certificate dated from2018

With ungoogled chrome 86 or 88 you have version 10.0.19041.1 with a certificate dated from2019

I do not know in which case this dll gets used however and I can not certify that it does work on XP.

For me the score was 440... I have a very cheap Intel chipset. with a Core2Duo T7500@2.2Ghz

Edited by RamonUn
Certificate dates

3 hours ago, RamonUn said:

This file in 360Chrome has exactly the Same SHA-256 than the version in ungoogled-chromium_86.

That may be true if you're using some sort of repack (the file may have been replaced already). But repacks may vary , so it's better be safe than sorry. 

On 2/21/2021 at 11:16 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

I don't really do a lot of 3D graphics via web browser.

I used this as a test - https://www.wirple.com/bmark/

This doesn't really cover real 3D scenarios one usually encounters in practice, it's almost like a web-equivalent of glxgears, mostly useful to tell whether 3D works at all.

Try WASM port of Doom 3 engine - introductory page is here.

But even good old WebGL Aquarium is enough to tell when there's something off about 3D performance.

It's going to be slow because the browser doesn't use 3D capabilities at all on XP. At least WebGL should be fully doable through OpenGL, but is run in pure software no matter what flags you flip.

Edited by UCyborg
Typo

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I have a "WinXP skin" that I can upload and provide installation instructions if there are enough folks interested.

I don't see why people wouldn't be interested. Heck, I don't even USE the browser, and I'm interested. Namely I want to see if I can apply the method to a browser I actually do use (Yandex)