Extreme Explorer 360 -- A How-To Guide (converting remaining Chinese to English)

Below is my guide on how to convert some of the Chinese still present in 360Chrome.

Also includes a few tweaks to reduce/eliminate privacy risks.

I'll unfold the guide a little at a time over a few weekends or so and have inserted "placeholder" posts to keep them all at the top of the thread.

I use the Russian Repack from here (version 13 build 2206)  --  https://lrepacks.net/repaki-programm-dlya-interneta/182-360-extreme-explorer-amp-portable.html

Run the "_Unpack Portable.cmd" and it will create a "360Chrome" folder - we will be modifying files inside that folder.

You can always revert back to original by renaming folder and running "_Unpack Portable.cmd" again.

Freebie software that you will need.

Resource Hacker   ---   I prefer the portable ZIP at the bottom of here  --  http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

PeaZip   ---   I prefer the 32bit Portable version from here -- https://peazip.github.io/peazip-portable.html

Notepad++   ---   I prefer portable version 6.8.8 but newer versions work just as well  --  https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Notepad%2B%2B Portable/

Chrome PAK Customizer  --  I use v2.0, grab the chrome-pak.7z from here  --  https://github.com/myfreeer/chrome-pak-customizer/releases

HxD Hex Editor   ---   I use version 2.4.0.0 from here  --  https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Edited by ArcticFoxie

I prefer the latest Hosts File from here  --  https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

And then add these entries  --

0.0.0.0 browser.360.cn
0.0.0.0 cloud.browser.360.cn
0.0.0.0 dd.browser.360.cn
0.0.0.0 qurl.f.360.cn
0.0.0.0 chrome.360.cn
0.0.0.0 ext.chrome.360.cn
0.0.0.0 u.qurl.f.360.cn
0.0.0.0 puv.tt.browser.360.cn
0.0.0.0 p.ssl.qhimg.com
0.0.0.0 p0.ssl.qhimg.com
0.0.0.0 p1.ssl.qhimg.com
0.0.0.0 p2.ssl.qhimg.com
0.0.0.0 p3.ssl.qhimg.com
0.0.0.0 p4.ssl.qhimg.com
0.0.0.0 p5.ssl.qhimg.com
0.0.0.0 p.ssl.qhmsg.com
0.0.0.0 p0.ssl.qhmsg.com
0.0.0.0 p1.ssl.qhmsg.com
0.0.0.0 p2.ssl.qhmsg.com
0.0.0.0 p3.ssl.qhmsg.com
0.0.0.0 p4.ssl.qhmsg.com
0.0.0.0 p5.ssl.qhmsg.com

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Go to the 360Chrome -> Chrome -> User Data -> Default folder.

You will find a file with no file extension called "Preferences".

With 360Chrome CLOSED, open the "Preferences" file in Notepad++.

Do a "Ctrl-F" (Find) for "lang" (with no quotes) then close the Find dialog box.

The original line will read "accept_languages": "ru-RU,ru,en-US,en"

Edit the line to read "accept_languages": "en-US,en" (ie, just delete the ru-RU,ru, portion).

Save the "Preferences" file and exit Notepad++.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Open 360Chrome -> Chrome -> Application -> 360chrome.exe in Resource Hacker.

Make the three changes as shown below (file description, product name, and product short name).

Pull down "Action" menu and click "Compile Script" at very top.

Pull down "File" menu and click "Save" (the original file is automatically kept for you and renamed to "360chrome_original.exe").

Exit Resource Hacker.

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Open 360Chrome -> 360Loader.ini

I add these entries to [FileToRun] -> Parameters

--kiosk-printing --disable-print-preview --cipher-suite-blacklist=0xe013

I add these entries to [RunAfter]

FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\IndexedDB\chrome-extension_{extension-id-1}_0.indexeddb.leveldb\*.log
   FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\IndexedDB\chrome-extension_{extension-id-2}_0.indexeddb.leveldb\*.log
   FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\data_reduction_proxy_leveldb\*.log;MANIFEST-*
   FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\Extension State\*.log;*.ldb
   FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\File System\Origins\*.log
   FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\MANIFEST-*;*.ldb
   DirRemove=%Profile%\Default\Sessions
   DirRemove=%Profile%\Default\blob_storage
   DirRemove=%Profile%\Default\VideoDecodeStats

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Go to 360Chrome -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 folder (ie, version.0.build.0)

I delete (but a rename would have the same effect) the following two files as they are both all Chinese and the browser is fully functional without them.

errorpage.zip
   newtab.zip

The errorpage is basically just a DNS 404 similar to the old ieframe.dll days.

The newtab now reverts to an EMPTY page with a "New Tab" tab title (whereas "about:blank" has no tab title).

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Optional as some prefer the "dark" but I prefer to be "enlightened" (waka, waka, waka).

The skin/theme changer will still work even with our above Hosts File entries.

But if you want to see the "preview" thumbnails then you will need to temporarily disable the above Hosts File.

You'll need to PgDn two or three times to find the skin that I use.

I include it as a step here mainly for the sake of before-and-after pictures in following steps.

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Go to 360Chrome -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 folder (ie, version.0.build.0)

Copy "options.zip" file to a temporary working folder.

Open PeaZip and browse to the temporary working folder that you copied "options.zip" to via the left pane.

Right-click on top of "options.zip" in the right pane and select "Extract all here, in new folder (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+N)" in the drowdown menu.

Go to the temporary working folder via your preferred File Manager and you'll now have an "options" folder.

Inside that "options" folder is an "options.html" file - open that file via Notepad++.

Do a Ctrl-F (Find) for "login" (without the quotes) then close the Find dialog.

Make the changes pictured below then save "options.html" and exit Notepad++.

Note:  I optionally remove the "hand" .png and also change the color of the text to match the rest of the GUI Interface (the color difference is too slight to even be noticed in the "dark" theme).

In PeaZip, double-click the "options" folder that was created when you extracted "options.zip".

Do a Ctrl-A to select ALL of the files inside the "options" folder.

Once ALL of the files are highlighted, then select the down-arrow to the right of the "Add" button in the upper left corner of PeaZip.

In the dropdown, select "Medium compression, ZIP (compatible with most extractors)".

Click "OK" in the bottom right corner of the "New Archive" dialog.

Return to your preferred File Manager "options" folder and CUT the new "options.zip" file that was just created.

Go back to 360Chrome -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 folder (ie, version.0.build.0) and rename or archive the original "options.zip".

PASTE the new "options.zip" that you CUT two step up into the 360Chrome -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 folder (360Chrome should be CLOSED when you do this).

I suggest KEEPING the temporary working "options" folder because we'll be making more changes later.

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Go to your temporary working "options" folder where you used PeaZip and extracted "options.zip".

Open "options.html" in Notepad++.

Do a Ctrl-F (Find) for "close_last_tag_radio" (without the quotes) then close the Find dialog.

Make the four changes pictured below then use PeaZip to "Medium compression, ZIP (compatible with most extractors)" all the files in the "options" folder.

Cut-and-paste the new "options.zip" back into the 360Chrome -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 folder (360Chrome should be CLOSED when you do this).

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Go to your temporary working "options" folder where you used PeaZip and extracted "options.zip".

Do a Ctrl-F (Find) for "certificate_list" (without the quotes) then close the Find dialog.

Make the five changes pictured below labeled as "first before".

Do a second Ctrl-F (Find) for "certificate_list" (without the quotes) then close the Find dialog.

Make the one change pictured below labeled as "second before" then use PeaZip to "Medium compression, ZIP (compatible with most extractors)" all the files in the "options" folder.

Cut-and-paste the new "options.zip" back into the 360Chrome -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 folder (360Chrome should be CLOSED when you do this).

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Note:  This step only covers a portion of the Settings -> Security tab.

Do a Ctrl-F (Find) for "privacySecurityPage" (without the quotes) then close the Find dialog.

Make the several changes pictured below then use PeaZip to "Medium compression, ZIP (compatible with most extractors)" all the files in the "options" folder.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Note:  This step covers the remaining portion of the Settings -> Security tab.

Note:  The original days of the week were off by exactly 24 hours so if you are converting the Chinese yourself as a double-check, I am offset by 24 hours intentionally.

Note:  I did not investigate whether this 24 hour offset was due to Time Zone differences or due to computer Time & Date settings.

Open "privacy_security.js" in Notepad++.

Do a Ctrl-F (Find) for "GetDateStr(AddDayCount)" (without the quotes) then close the Find dialog.

Make the "first changes" pictured below then PgUp to the very top of "privacy_security.js".

Make the "second change" pictured below.

Do a Ctrl-F (Find) for "barData(data)" (without the quotes) then close the Find dialog.

Make the "third change" pictured below then use PeaZip to "Medium compression, ZIP (compatible with most extractors)" all the files in the "options" folder.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

In this step, I disable the Incognito Mode "background".

To me, it's a bit pointless to even have the "background" - if I'm geeky enough to use Incognito Mode, then I already know what it does and what it does not 'do'.

I've included the Google Translate "translations" (but #4 is definitley "lost in the translation") and also included the official Chromium v49 "background" for reference.

spacer.png

1)  You are currently using an incognito window

2)  Incognito windows can:

3)  Leave no traces on the Internet, and leave no records on the Internet in stealth mode

4)  Open more trumpet, create an incognito window and then open the website trumpet, no serial number

5)  The incognito window will not record any traces of the Internet, but will keep the files you downloaded and the favorites you added.

6)  The incognito window will disable all extensions by default to protect privacy. If you need to enable extensions, you can set it on the extension management page.

I also added a freebie software (Chrome PAK Customizer) to the list in the first post of this thread.

Go to 360Chrome -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 folder (ie, version.0.build.0)

Copy "resources.pak" to a temporary working folder.

The easiest way to use Chrome PAK Customizer is to have TWO file manager windows open.

One window being the "chrome-pak" folder (extracted from the downloaded "chrome-pak.7z") which will have "pack.bat" and "unpack.bat".

The other window being the temporary working folder you copied "resources.pak" into.

Left-Click-and-Hold on top of "resources.pak" in the temporary folder and Drag-and-Drop on top of "unpack.bat" in the chrome-pak folder.

Wait for the command prompt window to close itself and you will see a new "resources_unpacked" folder in your temporary folder.

Open the "resources_unpacked" folder then open the "pak_index.ini" file contained inside.

Delete the line that reads "13581=13581" and make sure there is no empty-line gap between "13575=13575" and "13585=13585".

Save and Close "pak_index.ini".

Left-Click-and-Hold on top of "pak_index.ini" in the temporary folder and Drag-and-Drop on top of "pack.bat" in the chrome-pak folder.

Wait for the command prompt window to close itself and you will see a new "pak_index_packed.pak" file in the "resources_unpacked" folder.

Rename "pak_index_packed.pak" to "resources.pak".

Copy-and-paste the new "resources.pak" into 360Chrome -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 folder (360Chrome should be CLOSED when you do this).

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

• NotHereToPlayGames changed the title to Extreme Explorer 360 -- A How-To Guide (converting remaining Chinese to English)

In this installment, I change the default Chrome Web Store language from Russian to English.

Go to 360Chrome -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 folder (ie, version.0.build.0)

Copy "chrome.dll" file to a temporary working folder.

Open "chrome.dll" in HxD Hex Editor.

Do a Ctrl-F (Find) for "goo.gl/j4MLV" (without the quotes) then close the Find dialog.

You can edit via left hexadecimal or via right decoded text - but be mindful to not change "file size" (a dialog will pop up to confirm as a safeguard to prevent this).

Also be mindful that a "00" (zero zero) in the left 'looks like' a "dot/period" in the right but it is not (a "dot/period" would be "2E").

Option 1  --  replace Russian URL with English URL.

The default https://goo.gl/j4MLV redirects to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions?hl=ru

Here is a nice site to test "shortened links" (as a general rule of thumb I distrust them and dislike their usage) - http://checkshorturl.com/

We cannot change "address offsets" so we have to rely on a "short link".

Option 1 is to redirect to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions?hl=en-US

To do this, REPLACE "https://goo.gl/j4MLV" with "https://bit.ly/2WKImUI" (again, you can test/verify at http://checkshorturl.com/ )

Save the file (HxD automatically saves the unchanged backup as "chrome.dll.bak".

Cut-and-Paste the new "chrome.dll" into 360Chrome -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 folder (360Chrome should be CLOSED when you do this).

Option 2  --  replace Chrome Web Store link with direct access to Extensions Manager (I prefer this option).

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Attached are files that fix SEVERAL translation issues with v13 build 2206.

The translation issues are still present in 2212 and I've abandoned 2212 due to Chinese reversions (ie, a step BACKWARDS as far as an English-user version).

Fixes nuances such as "clearint" in the Speedup utility (ie, it's supposed to be "clearing" and now is with these files).

Fixes several "colsed" dialogs that are supposed to be "closed" and now are with these files.

Kind of lost track of all of the fixes I've had to make over the months.

But uploading for those that may want to make use of them.

Please backup/archive your original files "just in case" (ie, I know I made a few "skin" changes also that I can show you how to reverse if you prefer).

360Chrome should be closed when you replace these files.

en-US.pak  -->  ...\360ChromePortable\Chrome\Application\13.0.2206.0\Locales

en_skin.srx  -->  ...\360ChromePortable\Chrome\Application\13.0.2206.0\skin

options.zip  -->  ...\360ChromePortable\Chrome\Application\13.0.2206.0

resources.pak  -->  ...\360ChromePortable\Chrome\Application\13.0.2206.0

skin.srx  -->  ...\360ChromePortable\Chrome\Application\13.0.2206.0\skin

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7b4zanniozx372m/English Updates.zip?dl=0

Edited by ArcticFoxie