Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

Just an off-topic note, not relevant to XP, but I just updated my Firefox on Windows 10 to version 85, and all support for Flash has been removed, so it doesn't even recognise the plugin any more.
:no:

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I just updated my Firefox on Windows 10 to version 85, and all support for Flash has been removed, so it doesn't even recognise the plugin any more.

E.g. https://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-85-removes-flash-and-adds-protection-against-supercookies/

Mozilla has released today Firefox 85 to the stable channel, a new version of its beloved browser that removes support for the Adobe Flash Player plugin <snipped>

The removal of the Flash plugin comes after Mozilla announced its intention to drop Flash in July 2017 as part of a coordinated industry-wide Flash deprecation and End-of-Life plan, together with Adobe, Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Facebook.

The EOL date was set to Dec. 31, 2020, a date after which Adobe agreed to stop providing updates for the software. Firefox now joins Chrome and Edge, both of which removed support for Flash earlier this month with the release of Chrome 88 and Edge 88.

:P

Edited by VistaLover

....The PotPlayer update removes support for Flash playback; support required Adobe Flash on the system, and since this is no longer supported, PotPlayer has support for playing SWF files removed from its core....

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/01/29/first-potplayer-2021-release-removes-flash-playback-support/

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

• Dave-H changed the title to Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)
  • dencorso pinned this topic
  • Dave-H unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

The HP Solutions Center software for HP Printers was built using Flash. I have run into a situation where that software will generate an error in Event Viewer saying that you need to reinstall the software after upgrading the OS! This gets written when that software is set to load at boot. If you try to open the software, it will just show the Flash killswitch image. HP has not released any other version that doesn't have Flash in it, so it basically has ended support for this. In the situation I had to deal with yesterday, it was on Windows 8.1 and it was actually not possible to print until the software was uninstalled.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/HP-Solution-Center-not-working-Adobe-Flash-Player-Error-and/ta-p/7946145

Have you tried using the Flash files with the time bomb removed?
They're still working fine for normal browser Flash operations, and running Flash screen savers.
How they would work with a piece of software which relies on Flash outside the browser I don't know, but I imagine they would.
:yes:

I wasn't even going to attempt that type of fix. The owner of the computer is not savvy enough to understand how it works, it would just result in more phone calls tbh.

Besides, they were not using any of the advanced functions. They just print and scan, and that can be done without having the HP software installed.

There are instructions for patching the XP files if you have access to a Windows 7-10 machine.
Basically, patch the files on that machine and then copy the patched versions back to the XP machine!
:yes:

• 4 weeks later...

Java 8 has been broken bit by bit for XP,

jdk u60: javafxpackager/javapackager not run because of PE issue

jre u60: javafx might not run on non-SSE2? as it compiled by vc2013

jre u112: javafx not works on XP, last working U111

jre u151: the last working installer

jre u251: native crypto provider MSCAPI switch to NCrypt (API prefix also changed)

jre u261: all exe not run because of PE issue, TLS 1.3 introduced

note that this guide not needed if you use ojdkbuild https://github.com/ojdkbuild/ojdkbuild/releases/download/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.242-1.b08-x86/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.242-1.b08.ojdkbuild.windows.x86.msi

How to make oracle java installer for XP?

First, Oracle doesn't use normal approach with its installer, inside its executable e.g. jre-8u241-windows-i586.exe there is msi but this it doesn't do the entire job, there is another installer within it that do extraction and binary patching (bsdiff) while reporting back to msiexec (msi and installer.exe must from same version), any failure will cancel remaining actions and trigger rollback

tools needed:
xn resource editor (resource hacker 4.2.5 run out of memory when injecting huge file)
orca
bsdiff (search bsdiff4.3-win32.zip)
archiver e.g. 7zip

1. Get the msi from U111, U151 and U241 installer using xnre.
   open jre-8uXXX-windows-i586.exe, go to RCDATA ordinal 100 and export as jreXXX.exe
   open jreXXX.exe, go to JAVA_INSTALLER ordinal 103, export as jreXXX.msi
2. Extract jreXXX.msi
   from cmd run msiexec /a jreXXX.msi /qb TARGETDIR="%CD%\jreXXX\"
3. edit jre151.msi
   inside jre151 folder, open jre151.msi in orca
   replace text 151->241, 1.8.0.1510.12->1.8.0.2410.7, b12 -> b07, 1.8.0_151->1.8.0_241
   optional:
   change summary and  the guid of package, upgrade and product code
   change INSTALLDIR's defaultdir
   set updater property to 0, not really needed since we skip its msi (ordinal 105)
4. Extract the "final zip" of U111 and U241
   inside jreXXX\Java\jre1.8.0_XXX open installer.exe in xnre
   export RCDATA ordinal 5 as patch.bs and 6 as old.zip
   run bspatch old.zip new,zip patch.bs
   extract the new zip
5. Combine U111 and U241
   Replace javafx files (see below) in U241's extracted new.zip with one from U111
   Remove C++ 2017 runtime from U241 as they only needed by JavaFX U241
6. Recreate bspatch step with combined zip
   Zip combined jre files as jre.zip (use store compression) and make a copy as jre2.zip
   run bsdiff jre.zip jre2.zip patch.bs, yes just a dummy diff.
   replace U151 installer.exe RCDATA 5->patch.bs and 6->jre.zip
   set the proper ordinal and locale as original one.
7. Ptionally re-run msiexec /a jre151.msi /qb TARGETDIR="%CD%\jre151\" to cleanup the msi
8. Test it

JavaFX files:

bin\msvcp120.dll
bin\msvcr120.dll
bin\javafxpackager.exe (jdk)
bin\fxplugins.dll
bin\glass.dll
bin\glib-lite.dll
bin\gstreamer-lite.dll
bin\javafx_font.dll
bin\javafx_font_t2k.dll
bin\javafx_iio.dll
bin\jfxmedia.dll
bin\jfxwebkit.dll
bin\prism_common.dll
bin\prism_d3d.dll
bin\prism_sw.dll
lib\ant-javafx.jar (jdk)
lib\javafx.properties
lib\javafx-mx.jar (jdk)
lib\jfxswt.jar

caveat: browser plugin is marked as unverified, not really matter as applet will get blocked anyway due to "out of date" policy. If you need to browser plugin (for retro purpose), use Java 6 or older.

Personally I have rebuild installer with jdk tool included, it could save space at just 39MB while jre-only at 29MB. The saving come from the fact that no actual binary patch happen.

Edited by TuMaGoNx

Such a diffrent file structure... I have a functional (extracted) version 8.0 copied on top of installed 7.x, The files in this distribution are so different, that I am afraid to use out of virtual until confirmed working. Watching. Thanks!