Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

On 7/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, VistaLover said:

If you have upgraded past 32.0.0.371, simply uninstalling the newer version and running a backed-up version of the 32.0.0.371 installer won't cut it :realmad:

So, uninstalling the newer version (e.g. 32.0.0.465) with that (32.0.0.465) version's uninstaller (actually tagged 32.0.0.468)

On 7/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, VistaLover said:

that tool also gets updated with each new AFP release and can uninstall the current version of Flash as well as all preceding ones

will or will not uninstall "all preceding ones:huh: ?

....and then allow a clean install of 32.0.0.371 ?

Also, Adobe's latest uninstaller is tagged version 34.0.0.92, whatever that infers.

3 hours ago, visitor said:

will or will not uninstall "all preceding ones:huh: ?

Yes, from experience, version X of the uninstaller will uninstall ALL (NPAPI, PPAPI, AX) Flash versions <=X

3 hours ago, visitor said:

Adobe's latest uninstaller is tagged version 34.0.0.92, whatever that infers.

This one has a digital signature (SHA-2 only) of Dec 22nd 2020 :huh:; to be honest, I'm quite reluctant to try it out; Adobe are known to be very insidious <_<, so I fear they may have artificially blocked any Flash version from being installed after this tool has been run... :angry: But I'm just being paranoid, I suppose...

As for version 34, I think in China (and probably in Enterprise distributions) Flash hasn't died with version 32.0.0.465... :o

On 1/13/2021 at 6:29 AM, Ben Markson said:

This is my mms.cfg:

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0
AutoUpdateDisable=1
DisableAnalytics=1
EOLUninstallDisable=1
EnableAllowList=0
AllowListUrlPattern=file:*
AllowListUrlPattern=https://wwwimages.adobe.com/
AllowListUrlPattern=https://chat.kongregate.com/

The file:* thing is to allow local .swf files to run.

Changing this file is all that was needed to re-activate Flash v32.0.0.465 NPAPI on Firefox on Windows 7 x64. :thumbup

2 hours ago, Vadim said:

In Russia works China Version 34.00.92 without any trouble and corrections for Firefox 84.0.2 in my computers.

Various non-official Chinese sites are already redistributing (modified?) standalone installers and re-packaged versions of Chinese Adobe Flash Player v34.0.0.92 (official site https://www.flash.cn/english only offers stub installers :angry: ) ... 
 I won't post any links here, of course ;) , but - depending on your searching skills - you might be able to stumble upon them :D ...
Getting to actually download these off-line installers from the various Chinese hosting services is an exercise on its own, though... :angry: 
Anyhow, I successfully fetched (and malware-scanned): 

AGzqiDg.jpg

The .7z archive contains only the extracted PPAPI 32-bit DLL (+ needed manifest.json file) and when I load this in "portable mode" in 360EEv11, it works out-of-the-box in my location, too :thumbup

DJLOrzY.jpg

Some important announcements from the Chinese Flash distributor: 

https://www.flash.cn/notice/notice?id=153

Announcement on Microsoft's removal of built-in Flash Player

Dear Flash Player user:

Because Microsoft has deleted the built-in Flash Player (Win8/Win10 ActiveX version), users who experience abnormal use can go to the official website of Flash China (Flash.cn) to download the latest version of Flash Player, and it can be used normally after installation.
Other versions of Flash Player (PPAPI, NPAPI version) have nothing to do with the built-in version deleted by Microsoft and can be used normally

https://www.flash.cn/notice/notice?id=144

Dear Flash Player user:

Thank you for your continued attention to the Flash Player product.

On January 12, 2021, Flash Player will undergo a version update. Due to technical support, this and subsequent updated versions of Flash Player no longer support the playback function of video format content in Windows < 7 (excluding Windows 7), Linux, and Mac operating systems, but other original functions can be used normally.

Flash Player in other operating systems such as Windows7, Windows8.1, Windows10 will not be affected by this update and will continue to support video playback and other original functions.

So it appears (if my translator is correct :P ) that Windows XP and Vista will only be partially supported by Flash >=34 :( ...

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

So it appears (if my translator is correct :P ) that Windows XP and Vista will only be partially supported by Flash >=34 :( ...

Which is surprising, considering how spread XP is in China...

By the way, since you're testing the Chinese version, I know you malware-scanned it and it was fine, but can you also check if it's opening a connection to some dodgy Chinese server when you're using it?

If it's not, then it's probably gonna be safe, but, you know, I wanna be really sure before I install anything from China on my computer.

Edited by FranceBB

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

since you're testing the Chinese version, I know you malware-scanned it and it was fine

Yes, I'm merely testing it for now, not planning on adopting it in the long run... BTW, besides 
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/
I only tested it on 
http://chat.kongregate.com/gamez/0009/4075/live/myth_rider_cs3.swf
which also loads fine: 

hflLW8A.jpg

Further cautious examination of the downloaded standalone setups (.exe) revealed they are indeed Chinese Repacks in the InnoSetup format, comprising payloads for both x86 & x64 OSes, with, what appears to be, the official FlashHelperService excised... The executables were never properly run, but extracted with UniExtract, then main DLLs simply harvested and tested in portable mode ...

2 hours ago, FranceBB said:

can you also check if it's opening a connection to some dodgy Chinese server when you're using it?

I have no doubt they probably do connect to one or more Chinese IPs, being Chinese "products" and such, let alone when I tested it inside a Chinese-made browser, 360EEv11 (and 12), but who's to say which one of them is dodgy or not (probably many members here are of the conviction that every Russian and/or Chinese IP is "dodgy") ? :); however, I'm not well versed in conducting the kind of tests you demand, so leaving that to others am afraid... :whistle:

@to All

• Always enable "click-to-play" mode.
  • When you don't need to use Flash you can hide the plugin with the rule:

about:config

plugin.scan.plid.all

If your browser doesn't detect the Flash plugin probably (but you need a test to know this for sure) you don't have to worry about unwanted connections.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

For some reason, all versions of the Chinese flash are completely blocked in Russia. I tried to put on Chrome and Firefox, on XP and 7-8.1, everywhere it says "Not supported in your region." Even local swf files won't open. :(

On 1/13/2021 at 10:49 PM, RainyShadow said:

Additional links: v.32.0.0.380 (latest), v.27.0.0.180 (SSE)

Sorry, i kinda lied here. Version 27.0.0.180 may be the last non-SSE2 NPAPI plugin for Windows, but having just booted my Debian install i found out that the last SSE build for linux is v.10.3.183.50

Additionally, i found out that the MSFN forums cause their tab to crash in Firefox 60.7.1-ESR for some reason...

@VistaLover

[OT mode on]

My friend if you want to reduce the fonts fingerprint consider that our browsers have this function:

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/28/firefox-52-better-font-fingerprinting-protection/

Some time ago I inserted the default list of Tor fonts.:hello:

[OT mode off]

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Also, not related to Windows XP but related to flash support discontinument:

MS will remove Adobe Flash (ActiveX version only from what I've heard) from Windows 8.1 and 10 system via an update (If you wanna know what update it is, it's KB4577586):
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/09/04/update-adobe-flash-end-support/

And even if you don't install that update, it'll integrate that into security updates later in the summer.

Now that raises a question, will MS will do the flash removal thingy for the older operating systems just for the sake of it? (Most importantly (at least for me), will MS do it for Windows 7 versions that still in support (namely the POSready and ESU versions)?)