Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

4 hours ago, docR said:

After some brutal digging, I found offline copies of older versions. There's an NPAPI compliant installer of version 27 that works with Firefox and Pale Moon on Internet Archive. It's at version 27.0.0.170.

19 minutes ago, docR said:

As such my best archive is a version 27 build, and even that was a b***h and a half to track down.

... Well, fortunately things aren't yet as dire as you pictured them :P , all thanks to web.archive.org :cheerleader:

The URL https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html has been captured 187 times in total, the last time "valuable" content was still in was on July 18th 2020 (https://web.archive.org/web/20200718192527/*)

The last version of Adobe Flash Player without the 2021 timebomb was/is 32.0.0.371; WAO have actually captured the following URI 

https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_32.0.0.371_archive.zip

5 times, last one was on June 30th, 2020 (https://web.archive.org/web/20200630185943/*) :) ; the zip archive itself is at 388 MiB, so it'll take a while to come down from WAO... It contains all possible flavours of installers/packages, no need to search further... 

bn6Hjl1.jpg

40 minutes ago, docR said:

I didn't act quickly enough

Don't make that mistake again... :whistle:

I owe you a drink. It honestly hadn't crossed my mind to try Wayback Machine, for some reason I recalled there being an anti crawl script on Adobe's websites. Saving the entire archive of 32.0.0.371 now :cheerleader:

Many thanks

Thanks VistaLover ... I searched around for version 32.0.0.371 since all this flash information was first posted and found nothing. I wasn't sure if I really would need it in the future but it can't hurt to have a copy saved. A big download for the three files I needed but it didn't take long to download.

Wayback Machine comes through again ... I have to spend more time there.

Off-topic:

16 hours ago, Monroe said:

Wayback Machine comes through again ... I have to spend more time there.

Well, people like you and me need to "spend" ;) there, period:

https://archive.org/donate/

(I have donated twice in the past... :yes: )

On-topic:

As a friendly reminder, Adobe Flash player v32.0.0.171 has publicly disclosed security vulnerabilities, which have been patched in later versions; as long as the vendor continues to issue updated versions (currently 32.0.0.443) and until the announced final deprecation date (31/12/2020), the wise thing to do is use a current version when facing the internet... v32.0.0.171 should only be used to play back locally stored content (.SWF files) after the last "timebombed" version ceases to function...
Just my 2 (euro)cents, of course... :whistle:

15 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Off-topic:

Well, people like you and me need to "spend" ;) there, period:

https://archive.org/donate/

(I have donated twice in the past... :yes: )

On-topic:

As a friendly reminder, Adobe Flash player v32.0.0.171 has publicly disclosed security vulnerabilities, which have been patched in later versions; as long as the vendor continues to issue updated versions (currently 32.0.0.443) and until the announced final deprecation date (31/12/2020), the wise thing to do is use a current version when facing the internet... v32.0.0.171 should only be used to play back locally stored content (.SWF files) after the last "timebombed" version ceases to function...

All right.

Flash Player is the most "dangerous" software to use on your PC.
It is the ideal platform for an exploit that targets a known or unknown vulnerability leading, to remote, OS compromise.

Even when the latest version of FP is released its development, including security patches, will stop while unknown vulnerabilities will still be targeted by malware writes.

Probably no later than 3/6 months from the end of the support.

26 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

All right.

It is the ideal platform for an exploit that targets a known or unknown vulnerability leading, to remote, OS compromise.

Even when the latest version of FP is released its development, including security patches, will stop while unknown vulnerabilities will still be targeted by malware writes.

Probably no later than 3/6 months from the end of the support.

Fair enough, but I think Adobe should let users choose as there machines that are either offline or behind an intranet not directly connected to internet and by injecting a timebomb they'll make production machines stop working which is far more annoying and disrupting...

4 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

If MSFN members want to install Flash Player version 171, after the end of support, please take the following precautions in the browser used:

So, you have Flash installed in your system, but not in the browser? Why keep it then? Just to fill a few MB on your drive?

6 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

No, the most "dangerous" software to use on your PC is Windows10. It hijacks your whole system, and you're even happy for this, lol...

I want to play my flash games, screw "unknown vulnerabilities" :P

On 9/14/2020 at 7:05 PM, VistaLover said:

Well rule of thumb with NPAPI style plugins (or similar) is leave them disabled by default in-browser, which most seem to default to nowdays anyway. I've never permuted Flash to autorun in my browser, long before I was even aware of its deprication.

Fortunately these days, or rather the last 5 years I've seen very little use for Flash. But I like retaining the functionality just to be there. Why lose access to potential content, no matter how scarce? I still have some old .swf games saved from childhood too.