The amount of abandoned accounts here is crazy

sunryze

On any platform just seeing all these abandonded / inactive accounts is weird, knowing that these were all people but then suddenly disappeared. Who knows what happened to them. Recently a big disappearance was Bigmuscle, who was last seen in July 2020. Hope he comes back soon in good health. What do you guys think of when you see inactive / abandonded accounts?

This site is almost 20 years old, it is not that surprising. There are many accounts that I have made on other forums and not gone back to. There is not enough time in the day to be posting on forums, especially as you get older. Times change and people do different things.

• 4 months later...

I registered here because of Big Muscle's Aero Glass. That was 6 years ago! Seems so distant now. It's enough time to notice some people seemingly disappearing and some new ones appearing. There are also lurkers lurking in the shadows, some present for a long time, others less.

This is my 3rd or 4th account here that I can think of, spanning 10-15 years, don't really recall.

The first one or two was because I landed here from a Google Search and simply needed to download somebody's attachment.

I did not think I'd return after getting the attachment that brought me here in the first place (slipstreaming XP is what originally brought me here, I think).

Then months pass and another Google Search landed me here, no clue of the previous account so I registered again.

Then more months pass, account forgotten, don't even have the email address I registered under anymore, so I registered again.

It wasn't untl XP hit end-of-life, tried the POS updates, apps were broken, reinstalled WITHOUT the POS, then needed a browser for XP that I landed here "permanently".

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 4:07 AM, Tonny52 said:

What do you guys think of when you see inactive / abandonded accounts?

I have another theory specific to MSFN - they left because of lack of variety of actively discussed topics or because they're not old OS fanatics.

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I have another theory specific to MSFN - they left because of lack of variety of actively discussed topics or because they're not old OS fanatics.

I think calling us fanatics is a bit rude . I understand English is not your mother tongue , but look at some synonyms of this word:

junkie , maniac, maven (also mavin = freak), nut

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanatic

On 6/12/2021 at 11:34 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

No surprise.

I was a moderator on a Proxomitron forum many years ago and that's how things were there also.

I was on a dating website many years ago and that's how things were there also.

15 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I think calling us fanatics is a bit rude .

I don't take it that way... in fact, anyone still using anything but 1x (and, maybe, still 7sp1 and 8.1) ought to be called what? Sheeple? OS-challenged?  :dubbio:

15 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I understand English is not your mother tongue

Nor your either, I take it, neither mine, BTW... and the three of us, in case we do have more than our perverse hate of OS change in common, it might well be we usually write reasonably intelligible English.  :P

Oh c'mon, it's just an innocent word. I don't see how it doesn't accurately describe preferences of the folks here in the context in which it was used.

Communicating in this world seems to be getting increasingly difficult since it happens so often that someone is offended so easily. It's undeniable that the most forum sections are more or less deserted and that the place is a famous hangout for those that prefer running older OS, despite the forum structure hinting at the more balanced discussion ground.

A'ight, I'm off

spacer.png

before I'm convicted of murdering someone with words.

• 2 months later...