Windows 7 on this Netbook or not?

yoltboy01

Hey guys. I recently found my very old Netbook, while I was down in the basement. It was still running Windows XP Home and I think the last time I used it was 2014? Couldnt find any newer data than 04/2014 on it but anyways.. as you all know Windows XP was discontinued on that date and now I want to use that Netbook again for Word, OneDrive and maybe some research. However, I am very unsure to which OS I should upgrade that specific Netbook. The specs are:

Dell Inspiron mini 1012

Intel Atom N450 - Single 1,66 GHz

2GB DDR2 - RAM

10,1 inch screen (1024x600)

140GB Crucial SSD

4400maH Battery (~3:30 hours SOT with XP)

I am very unsure, as I think every OS has is Pro's and Con's which I listed down below:

XP: Cannot use it anymore, no newer software support, I dont like it's design and think it is not modern enough for 2021. However, it is amazingly fast

Vista: Same as XP. I would need the 64bit version to install Extended Kernel and get newer browsers, however I think Vista needs to be patched a lot before all of that and it is just not worth it on this Netbook. This single core doesnt allow 64bit

7: Seems to be the best version tbh., every major app still works, it looks so beatiful, doesnt consumes a lot of Ram..

8/8.1: Tbh, I think Windows 8 is the fastest out of all of them BUUTT this Netbook isnt Win8 optimized at all, especially because Windows 8 Apps recuire a higher screen resultion than 1024x600

10: It is the slowest out of all of them and only works till 1607. Starting with 1703, Intel no longer provide Graphics Drivers for Intel GMA 3150. I think the only Windows 10 versions working on this netbook are 1507/1607 LTSB. However, I cannot buy LTSB licences anywhere for private usage. I also think 10 is way too heavy for a single core Processor.

What do you guys think?

Edited by yoltboy01

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 7 32bit will be fine on that netbook with bit of tweaking. First disable automatic system updates (never check for updates). For gma there is modified intel driver that will improve performance (not going link it here since may break msfn rules). I have slower netbook with gma 950 and windows 7 32bit runs well on 2gb of ram, aero enabled. For browser I use Roytam1 Newmoon that is basically palemoon and only sites causing issues to me is youtube thanks to new layout. You can improve performance by forcing mobile user agent that renders sites on lightweight mobile version