Will you use Windows 8x after the EOL in 2023?

pokeguy

Will you use Windows 8x after the EOL in 2023?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will you use Windows 8x after the EOL in 2023?

• Yes
    • No

I don't really use Windows 8.x (tried 8.0 yesterday but AMD really doesn't want you to) but I did use it for a fair bit of time (2012 - 2015) on my laptop. Once Windows 7 goes away I will probably move to Server 2012 R2 / Windows 8.1 and then eventually Linux or Windows 10 afterwards.

I don't think that I will continue to use it. It is not my favorite OS. Yes, one of them, but not the most favorite. I'll upgrade my second PC to Windows 10 when the time comes... 

Edited by MrMADRYAN

18 hours ago, MrMADRYAN said:

I don't think that I will continue to use it. It is not my favorite OS. Yes, one of them, but not the most favorite. I'll upgrade my third second PC to Windows 10 when the time comes... 

Can I ask you how is your experience with rx 550 drivers on windows 8.1? I had terrible experiences with amd drivers on 8.1

6 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Can I ask you how is your experience with rx 550 drivers on windows 8.1? I had terrible experiences with amd drivers on 8.1

An awful experience. I have and AMD 7890K APU with integrated graphics, which require a driver. It has Windows 8.1 driver. But RX550 has a driver for Windows 7 and Windows 10. The only way to make it work for me - install Windows 8.1 driver for my APU and then install the driver for RX550 via Device Manager. However, after installing it overwrites my APU driver and I lost access to AMD Radeon Settings Center - it just crashes immediately after I open it. Also, I enabled "AMD Dual Graphics" in my motherboard UEFI, it works, but again - no AMD Radeon Settings app. So, It is a good idea to buy GTX 1650 for this build if you don't mind using Nvidia's GPUs. As for me - I am an AMD Fanboy, so my way is a lot harder here.

P. S. sorry for Russian on my screenshots..

AMDGPU.PNG

Edited by MrMADRYAN

I will likely use Windows 8 until the late spring 2024.  During that time (between October 2023 until I pull the plug), I hope that Edge is at least supported, so that some sort of current browser is used.

Beyond that, my tentative plan is to migrate to an iPad Pro and Bluetooth keyboard combination.  Major strides are taking hold in order to make tablets (well iPads) more productive as a PC replacement.  I hope that in three to four years from now, those strides will appreciate and make the iPad a suitable make shift workstation.  As time goes by, there is less that I need a dedicated workstation for.  If I wanted to, I have an older Windows XP x64 workstation that I could use (disconnected from the Internet of course) as an audio editing workstation.  That was my old HP xw8200 PC.

Time will tell.

On 1/27/2021 at 9:11 PM, VistaEX said:

Windows 8.1 Works Good For Me And With a Little Fixeng up it works good i just dont like the telemetry in it and windows 10 is Even worst Im Stayeng With XP-Vista-7 As My Favorite

And then just days later ...... He goes to Windows 7 .....................  Bam Bam BAAAAAM (dramatic music and voice ....lol)

:D

20 hours ago, MrMADRYAN said:

An awful experience. I have and AMD 7890K APU with integrated graphics, which require a driver. It has Windows 8.1 driver. But RX550 has a driver for Windows 7 and Windows 10. The only way to make it work for me - install Windows 8.1 driver for my APU and then install the driver for RX550 via Device Manager. However, after installing it overwrites my APU driver and I lost access to AMD Radeon Settings Center - it just crashes immediately after I open it. Also, I enabled "AMD Dual Graphics" in my motherboard UEFI, it works, but again - no AMD Radeon Settings app. So, It is a good idea to buy GTX 1650 for this build if you don't mind using Nvidia's GPUs. As for me - I am an AMD Fanboy, so my way is a lot harder here.

P. S. sorry for Russian on my screenshots..

AMDGPU.PNG

Well I like amd but lets be honest their drivers sucks even on 7 and 10. And the fact that they skipped 8/8.1 all together makes it even worse. How can you explain to customers which bought rx 480 which had OFFICIAL 8.1 support that they will no longer offer them driver updates. I think it is against their own EULA. I like nvidia cause their drivers are super good and stable. I use geforce experience and shadow play. nvidia dropped their support for 8.1 with rtx 30 xx but they still continue to release drivers for rtx 20xx and older.

32 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Well I like amd but lets be honest their drivers sucks even on 7 and 10. And the fact that they skipped 8/8.1 all together makes it even worse. How can you explain to customers which bought rx 480 which had OFFICIAL 8.1 support that they will no longer offer them driver updates. I think it is against their own EULA. I like nvidia cause their drivers are super good and stable. I use geforce experience and shadow play. nvidia dropped their support for 8.1 with rtx 30 xx but they still continue to release drivers for rtx 20xx and older.

I got a RX 5700 XT last July in fact for better driver support, oddly. NVIDIA drivers like to force you onto the latest version of 10, or otherwise just reduce your options. With the newer nvidia cards, its Windows 10 1709+ and no other alternative (the linux ones just generally suck). I got my AMD card so I could have more freedom in my driver (i can now use Linux, macOS) and plus use every version of Windows 10 if I feel like it (works all the way back to 1507). The only problems I have with it, is that the non-WHQL drivers are pretty unstable (which is why I stay on the WHQL ones), and that they broke Windows 8.0 support too. Windows 7 though, being 1 year out of support and they are still developing for it.

I will definitely continue to use Windows 8.1. I think the Embedded version is supported for a few more months till 10/2023 if I remember it correctly. I will deploy these updates after EOL. Furthermore, I think Firefox will support 8.1 until 2023. At the end, they will probably move Windows 8.1 to Firefox ESR. However, we are already benefiting from a modern web right now and I think even when Browsers shut support, we wont get any HTML5 issues in near future. Edge will end support as soon as Chrome ends support. I have a bad gut feeling when it comes to Chrome. I think it will end Windows 7 this year and maybe 8.1 at the same time like they did with Windows XP/Vista. Internet Explorer will be the final supported browser, coming to an end at the EOL Date and patachble till 10/2023 with Embedded Updates. It will probably be the safest, but definitely not the most modern in 10/2023

Edited by yoltboy01

13 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

I will definitely continue to use Windows 8.1. I think the Embedded version is supported for a few more months till 10/2023 if I remember it correctly. I will deploy these updates after EOL. Furthermore, I think Firefox will support 8.1 until 2023. At the end, they will probably move Windows 8.1 to Firefox ESR. However, we are already benefiting from a modern web right now and I think even when Browsers shut support, we wont get any HTML5 issues in near future. Edge will end support as soon as Chrome ends support. I have a bad gut feeling when it comes to Chrome. I think it will end Windows 7 this year and maybe 8.1 at the same time like they did with Windows XP/Vista. Internet Explorer will be the final supported browser, coming to an end at the EOL Date and patachble till 10/2023 with Embedded Updates. It will probably be the safest, but definitely not the most modern in 10/2023

But at this point IE 11 is becoming useless.  Twitter no longer works and YouTube will be not supported soon (I'm pretty sure of that anyway)

I think that Edge will maintain support for somewhat longer, I hope.

• 2 months later...

Yea, i will stay on Windows 8 until i get good enough computer. Its so much better than Windows 10. Takes less ram etc... Not so much telemetry as Windows 10. Only thing is Windows 8 Store is almost empty, there is nothing to download. But Windows 8 works great for me. Also have a great day! :thumbup