Is using an OS for the feeling of using it or for the practicality of using it? Why do / don't you use Windows 10?

sunryze

I have flip-flopped between Windows 7 and 10 lately trying to figure out, if I should use an OS for the joy of using it (Windows 7) or for the practicality of using it (Windows 10). Is this just personal preferenece or something? I'm not sure which one I should settle on. I love 7 but also don't mind 10, but 10 just doesn't have that click of fun that 7 and 8.1 have.

10 is just depressing. Windows is just less consumer fun, its more just cloud stuff. Linux and older Windows are your only options basically.

To those who use 10, why? Why not?

If you can make it work, I say use an OS for the joy of it. Personally, I have both Windows 7 and 10 on the same machine, and I usually stay on 7 unless there's something I need to do that requires or would perform significantly better on 10 - especially since all the desktop programs I run also work on 7, including my web browser (Firefox), which is arguably the most important part of an OS in this day and age.

I agree with you on Windows 10, everything is just so flat, bland, and gray... so I just spend most of my time on 7 since it just makes me feel better. But I think once 7 goes the way of XP/Vista and you basically don't have any modern programs compatible and you need to start using old/user-made stuff and do all these little hacky workarounds to get things to run, then I'd probably push more towards using 10 for important stuff, but maybe leaving 7 around for more casual things when you feel like it.

I grew up with Windows 7 so I may have some bias towards it, but for the past 5 years I have used Windows 10. I wasn't as literate in computers for most of that time until recently when I realized how much of an id*** I was. I can understand why some people like 10 and why some people don't. I don't like 10 and I would definitely use Windows 7, but it would take some courage to go back after 5 years of Windows 10. I have used 10 as my main OS since it was released (July 29 2015).

I use whatever OS is required for the software I want or have to run. If I have a Win7 computer and the software works on that, then that is what I will use.

Of course I have a Windows 10 computer at the office and also on one of my personal notebooks, so if I really did need it for something I can use those. But a software requiring Windows 10 must be really something I care to use before I'd consider replacing the OS on one of my main systems.

• 2 weeks later...

I had Windows 10 in my computer, but I needed to format it because it started to boot too slow. I really didn't have problems with it, but I prefer to save my hardware. Remember what happened with chkdsk and SSD disks! Probably, old Windows 10 1709 and older were better options. In conclusion, I downgraded to Windows XP and Windows 8.1, so I use Windows 8.1 when I need it, but most of the time I use to work with XP because it's fun and I'm feeling better using it.

I'm of a similar mind to Tripredacus. I have a Windows 10 machine a friend donated to me when my XP64 daily driver's old setup had RAM issues. The Windows 10 machine stays powered off most of the time, except when I have no choice but to use Windows 10 for something. For example, I used that machine to conduct job interviews due to videoconferencing software/websites not wanting to work with XP64.

I'm wary of the telemetry crap in Windows 10, even though I took all the steps I could to mitigate it. I also prefer XP64's lighter memory requirements, giving me more room to work and multitask. Still, having a machine that DOES run Windows 10 is nice to have as a fallback when necessary, I will admit.

A thing that could be done if you need to use Windows 10 is install Windows 10 LTSB/LTSC. It's lighter than the normal Windows 10, but as I discovered, it has a problem. If you suddenly shutdown the system, you break it accidentally and you try to repair it with the disk, the reparation options don't work, and you can't upgrade it. So in that case you need to do a clean installation. So create an image of your System. That happened once with my Windows 10 installation.

4 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

A thing that could be done if you need to use Windows 10 is install Windows 10 LTSB/LTSC. It's lighter than the normal Windows 10, but as I discovered, it has a problem. If you suddenly shutdown the system, you break it accidentally and you try to repair it with the disk, the reparation options don't work, and you can't upgrade it. So in that case you need to do a clean installation. So create an image of your System. That happened once with my Windows 10 installation.

want to like Windows 10, but with where it is I just can't.

I'm also not able to like Windows 10! I'm also mading experiments with Windows XP. I once tried to make a Windows 10 VM (inside Windows XP X86 and VMware Player 6) with 1,5gb of ram in order to avoid restarting my pc and booting Windows 8.1 when I need to run a "modern" application. Windows 10 (version 20H2) was installed successfully, but when I installed my Screen Reader (NVDA) it became too slow so I wasn't able to use the VM when I restarted it. I plan to make again that experiment, but using Windows 10 LTSB 2016.

11 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

I'm also not able to like Windows 10! I'm also mading experiments with Windows XP. I once tried to make a Windows 10 VM (inside Windows XP X86 and VMware Player 6) with 1,5gb of ram in order to avoid restarting my pc and booting Windows 8.1 when I need to run a "modern" application. Windows 10 (version 20H2) was installed successfully, but when I installed my Screen Reader (NVDA) it became too slow so I wasn't able to use the VM when I restarted it. I plan to make again that experiment, but using Windows 10 LTSB 2016.

Ive used 10 for the past 5 years and have been really pushing to switch 100% to Windows 7, but its gonna be a struggle.

On 2/6/2021 at 5:18 AM, Sergiaws said:

Oof. I'll have to keep that one in mind. Are you talking about this happening if you happen to just power the system off rather than shutting down through the menu as normal?

That happened when I forced the shutdown. That can happend to your computer if you start Windows and your computer don't have a battery, and you suddenly disconnect it and you force computer's shutdown!

If you decide to use Windows 10 LTSC, you should create an image of your system with a program like Macrium Reflect, so you can restore Windows and some data. I really lost lots of information when that happened to my computer.