Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

Can anyone recommend/suggest any network traffic programs.

ie, to monitor/verify any-and-all connections/requests being made by 360Chrome.

From the best I can tell, the Russian Repack isn't doing anything sneaky (once you get rid of the default 'new tab').

But I'd like to test further as I am close to satisfied in that this could become my "default-for-all" browser (including banking sites, which is why I really want to Run The Gauntlet in testing).

I'd prefer something that is NOT part of any "firewall" software, if possible.

"Portable" would be a plus but not a requirement.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

13 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

to monitor/verify any-and-all connections/requests being made by 360Chrome.

I'm not sure "below" will satisfy fully your requirements, but I'm tossing it in regardless, for the benefit of others... :whistle:

1. Load chrome://net-export/
2. Click the Start Logging to Disk button, choose where to save the chrome-net-export-log.json file.
3. Leave the previous tab open, then proceed to use the browser as you'd normally do...
4. After a period of time, return to that tab and stop network logging (depending on logging duration, the .json file may get quite big...)
5, Navigate to https://netlog-viewer.appspot.com/ , load the chrome-net-export-log.json file.
6. Navigate to the DNS tab: 

https://netlog-viewer.appspot.com/#dns

Records of DNS queries are displayed; the only one (mildly) suspicious for me was:

puv.tt.browser.360.cn => 101.198.192.36

All the rest were due to pages loaded in tabs and/or extensions enabled...

(360EEv12, build 1592, patched... )

Edited by VistaLover

On 12/28/2020 at 2:31 PM, VistaLover said:

1. Load chrome://net-export/  ...

Awesome!  That's exactly what I was looking for!  Many Thanks!

In 360EEv13, build 2182, patched, the LINK for netlog-viewer.appspot.com is right there on the page for you when you stop network logging.

Will monitor off-and-on for several days and report back any suspicious shenanigans.

Kinda optimistic, looking forward to an XP browser as modern as Chrome 86.0.4240.198  --  ie, November 11, 2020!

On 12/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, genieautravail said:

Try one of the numberous NirSoft programs.

You will find what you need. :hello:

https://www.nirsoft.net/network_tools.html

Thanks!  DNSQuerySniffer looks VERY promising.  Will trial-run over the next few days or so.

Apologies for doing three posts in a row, never tried the "multiquote" in order to quote two people and figured I'd learn that trick another day.

As far as additional 360EEv13 build 2182 patched testing goes, the only oddity I've bumped into thus far is with my primary computer which has FIVE widescreen monitors.

DVI, HDMI, VGA (in that order across the computer desk).  Then two via USB-to-VGA (mounted above the lower set of three).

Only the DVI and the HDMI have desktop icons.

The oddity is this, whenever I save a download to the desktop, ALL of my desktop icons and the downloaded file(s) land on the VGA screen.

I can work around it, of course.  Just really strange is all.

Anyone else having problems trying to print .pdf files from 360EE?

I couldn't print whether default internal viewer (chrome://plugins -> Chromium PDF Viewer) was disabled or not  :huh:

Also tried with chrome://plugins -> Chromium PDF Plugin also disabled (though this didn't seem to make any changes, .pdf still opened as a tab but as an embedded Adobe Reader [my preference so that I have the Adobe toolbar]).

On 12/28/2020 at 12:31 PM, VistaLover said:

(360EEv12, build 1592, patched... )

@VistaLover - do you have any reason for staying at v12?

Reason I ask is that I only recently started trying 360EE and I started at v13 build 2182 and am impressed.

BUT it doesn't matter if I use Stylus (tried FOUR different versions) or xStyle (only tried one version), v13 keeps crashing randomly only during editing styles.

Although NM28 + Stylem tended to be plaqued by the same nuance.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

17 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

So far, I can claim that I "trust" v13 (repack with newtab disabled).

But I can't say the same for v12 - screencap below.

If this is a problem for you, you can add these domain names in the hosts file like this:

0.0.0.0 browser.360.cn
0.0.0.0 cloud.browser.360.cn
0.0.0.0 dd.browser.360.cn
0.0.0.0 qurl.f.360.cn
0.0.0.0 chrome.360.cn
0.0.0.0 ext.chrome.360.cn
0.0.0.0 u.qurl.f.360.cn
0.0.0.0 puv.tt.browser.360.cn

360 Chrome Brower 11 and 12 works like a charm. :)

3 questions:

• How to unhide the hidden extension buttons?
  • Does the original Chinese version store user data per-user, so not under installation folder? If so, is there a switch in chrome.dll or somewhere else to disable portable mode?
  • Is it possible to get any kind of hardware acceleration working in XP? I tried enabling it in Settings, activated Override software rendering list flag, set Choose ANGLE graphics backend flag to OpenGL and still nothing, even WebGL is rendered only in software.

Using Russian repack, version 13.0.2182.0.

Edited by UCyborg
Added 3rd question

On 12/28/2020 at 7:19 AM, genieautravail said:

Try one of the numberous NirSoft programs.

You will find what you need. :hello:

https://www.nirsoft.net/network_tools.html

Many thanks again!  That DNSQuerySniffer has become quite the godsend!

Has helped in tracking down a few phone-homes I was previously unaware of.  :no:

For example, a few bookmarked websites (such as Roytam's very own o.rthost.win) does not have a "favicon" and I was unware that the browser was pinging o.rthost.win EVERY TIME I LOAD THE BROWSER.

5 hours ago, UCyborg said:
  • How to unhide the hidden extension buttons?

Using Russian repack, version 13.0.2182.0.

I was able to unhide the extension button by use of the "chrome" skin - I can find the URL if that option interests you.

Maybe you could reverse-engineer the skin?

Just to be clear, I'm referring to buttons that are added by extensions and can be hidden by right-clicking on a button->Hide button. Some Chromium based browsers put hidden buttons in the menu where most other options are found and where they can be put back on the toolbar (unhidden), but in this one, they're just gone.

I actually just found an answer to this question. It seems to require modifying User Data\Default\Preferences file with a text editor. First, you have to open the list of extensions and enable developer mode to be able to see the extensions' IDs.

Search the Preferences file for the ID of the extension which button you've hidden in the past, you'll know you've found what you're looking for when you see something like:

"bijpdibkloghppkbmhcklkogpjaenfkg": {
   "active_permissions": {
      "api": [ "clipboardRead", "clipboardWrite" ],
      "manifest_permissions": [  ],
      "scriptable_host": [ "\u003Call_urls>" ]
   },
   "browser_action_visible": false,
   "commands": {

},

"browser_action_visible" is the key, change the false nearby to true and save it. Obviously do this while the browser is closed.

Edited by UCyborg
Formatting

Ah, noted.  I only use six extensions and all of them have the unhide option when right-clicking.

On another note, if anyone is interested, I stumbled into a very easy way to translate some of the UI settings that the Russian Repack has not yet translated.

There is an "options.zip" file in the Application -> version.0.build.0 folder.

My IZArc and 7-Zip versions failed (will research/update later), but if you download an evaluation copy of WinRAR and extract that file, you can then make modifications to the "options.html" file then use WinRAR to recompress back as a .zip and whoala, no more "boxes" in your UI.  Simply find the "boxes", copy into Google Translate, then paste the translation over the "boxes".

Edited by ArcticFoxie

1 hour ago, Hunterw said:

Is there some reason browsers can't view youtube videos in resolutions above "1080?" In XP I never see that.

I have been able to watch 4k video in Serpent 52 on Windows 2000, but it is set to Vista user agents usually.