Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

16 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

The "ungoogled" flavor takes the same route as "ungoogled chromium" ( https://chromium.woolyss.com/ ) and intentionally breaks a Chrome Web Store embedded API.

The advantage is that this prevents an unwanted Google cookie "local storage persistence" present in all Chromium-based browsers since Chrome v69 (which is what 360Chrome v11 is based off of).

The "disadvantage" (to some folks) is that this 'fix' removes the "Add to Chrome" button when visiting the Chrome Web Store.

... I'm not following closely :rolleyes: the developments in this thread (am notified via e-mails, though :whistle:), but are you people here aware of

https://github.com/NeverDecaf/chromium-web-store

? It is supposed to re-enable CWS functionality in Ungoogled-Chromium, perhaps it can also be used in your "ungoogled" 360EE flavours? :dubbio:

When time permits, I'll be including a "hybrid" version.

It will basically be the "ungoogled" version with the NeverDecaf/chromium-web-store extension included.

I'm also contemplating a "YouTube" version which will include some extensions that make YouTube a little less "heavy" - unsure at this point (in-process of building an XP x86 SP2).

6 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

(in-process of building an XP x86 SP2).

Search for "IE8 not compatible with Windows XP SP2"

"Internet Explorer ne peux pas afficher cette page web" 

"Internet Explorer can't display this web page" - this is the result of Windows XP SP2...

SP3 includes new versions of crypt32.dll and rsaenh.dll ... These dlls have to do with certificate signature validation among other things.

Windows XP SP2 do not support SHA2 hashing algorithms, not SHA256 compatible...

Older systems without SHA support are now blocked from accessing websites.

Solution: download SP3 ? uh oh! - all this I've found on the web.

.. and I've half of the Bing page only... the top one.:buehehe:

Edited by msfntor

On 9/23/2021 at 4:06 PM, VistaLover said:

https://github.com/NeverDecaf/chromium-web-store

? It is supposed to re-enable CWS functionality in Ungoogled-Chromium, perhaps it can also be used in your "ungoogled" 360EE flavours? :dubbio:

Will have to verify in an official "ungoogled-chromium".

This restores the "Add to" button in ungoogled-360Chrome but it doesn't actually 'add to', it downloads the .crx instead and the user still has to manually drag-and-drop to the extension page to install.

Same effect in official "ungoogled-chromium".

It restores the "Add to" button but it doesn't actually 'add to', all I got was an error that says extensions cannot be loaded from this page (Official Chrome Web Store).

May revisit later but for now I'm sticking with a "regular" and an "ungoogled" version and advanced users will already know how to download and manually install extensions in the "ungoogled" version.

I have officially lost all interest in getting an old Compaq Presario up-and-running on XP x86 SP2.

I will eventually port @we3fan's and @Humming Owl's XP x86 SP2 modifications to my own builds, but I leave the testing to those that use XP x86 SP2 (I dislike having to type that all out but to me XP SP2 indicates 64-bit).

11 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

and advanced users will already know how to download and manually install extensions in the "ungoogled" version.

... Hopefully the following indispensable Chrome extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/get-crx/dijpllakibenlejkbajahncialkbdkjc

will continue to work as designed in the "ungoogled" flavours...
I use it routinely to manually download and archive .CRX files directly from CWS (not crx4chrome and similar... ;)), because my experience so far of using various 360EE variants in my Vista laptop has proved that any of my already installed extensions
a. may suddenly disappear completely from CWS, for various reasons... :angry:
b. be updated to a version not working correctly/at all with a specific 360EE version; this is often true for 360EEv11 (Chromium 69 based) and 360EEv12 (Chromium 78 based), but I expect to hit similar issues in the near future even for 360EEv13 (Chromium 86 based), because most Chrome extensions are developed/updated to target current Chrome (v92?) and declared backwards compatibility in CWS is often just a joke... :(

It's too late if I first update an extension but then discover it's broken, because CWS, unlike AMO, doesn't host previous version(s) of an extension... :realmad:

Below is an excerpt of a previous edit (saved in an e-mail notification) of
https://msfn.org/board/topic/182993-360-extreme-explorer-arcticfoxie-versions/?tab=comments#comment-1205088

Versions with a file name ending in _ungoogled+web-store restores the Chrome Web Store "Add to" button and the ability to automatically update your installed extensions.

I've been mostly using the Russian RePacks of 360EE variants and while I was always able to add Chrome extensions directly from CWS, never have I observed one automatically update...
One can perform a simple test to verify:
Browse crx4chrome or similar third party Chrome extension archives, search there for and download the .CRX file of a previous version of an extension extant in CWS (all crx4chrome hosted files were originally retrieved from CWS) ; manually install by dropping the file on the Extensions tab (chrome://extensions/) ...
No matter how long you give it (hours, days, etc,), the extension won't be auto-updated to the latest version found inside CWS; often times, this is a blessing in disguise, because, despite CWS saying the opposite, the updated version won't "like" your version of 360EE (being sourced from an older Chromium codebase...).

However, in the event you do want to update an installed extension, again this is not straightforward :( ; visiting the CWS entry for the extension, you're only given a choice to "Remove from Chrome", not "Update Extension"; to "update", you have to actually first "remove", but this means losing all extension custom settings/modifications... :realmad:
Several Chrome extensions offer the choice of backing-up settings/configuration prior to removal (with the option of importing back in a fresh installation), which makes updating them in 360EE somewhat less cumbersome... :whistle:

I've used that and similar extensions to always download .crx (sometimes .zip).

I personally never install from the Chrome Web Store.

I keep my own archived .crx's (most edited to my needs) and personally don't agree with getting caught in the endless cycle of always feeling like the "newest" is the "best" or "most secure" (it seldom is!).

• 3 weeks later...

EE 360 community! I have another annoyance to present you. See if you can solve this one.

When I press the home button it opens a new tab. I don't want. I want to go home, not open a tab.

I have a good feeling about this one, I'll bet it's one simple binary from being solved!

Thanks

Hunter

The home button location is defined in Settings -> Basics -> On Startup -> Open Home Page.

Even if you don't want to open the home page on startup, it is still defined by the On Startup setting.

Oops, I misread your post the first time around.  You're wanting the home page to open in the CURRENT tab and not open in a NEW tab.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

I am unable to fully load GitHub Docs in both 360EEv11 and 360EEv12 :( ; 

https://docs.github.com/en/rest/reference/repos

... begins to load in an apparent "normal" fashion (it's a rather "elongated" page), but - just before load completion - it blanks out in the end! :angry:
I have tried in both browsers to use a clean/fresh profile without any extension, but the issue persists :no: ; the javascript console isn't telling much...

The page eventually loads fully in 360EEv13 (and, FWIW, in latest St52+gh-wc-p), but if there's some workaround to enable it on either v12/v11, I'd much prefer it over v13 (v12 and, especially, v11 are much more "fluid" in this 13-yr old Vista laptop ;) ) ...

FTR. another Microsoft-owned page that demands at least 360EEv13 is Microsoft Docs Search

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/search/

:angry: ; I feel it's no coincidence either... I'm quite certain that after M$ adopted Chromium as the basis for their re-incarnated Edge Browser, they're making absolutely sure pages they have control on are fully working only on recent/latest Chromium-based browsers... :realmad:

29 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

I am unable to fully load GitHub Docs in both 360EEv11 and 360EEv12 :( ; 

https://docs.github.com/en/rest/reference/repos

Page loads fine for me in v12.

BUT only with my default NoScript blocking .js on github.com domain!

As soon as I set the github.com domain as "trusted" then I only get the blank-out.

Everything on that site seems to function just fine with .js blocked, but since I don't normally visit it I guess I'm not 100% sure on that.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

14 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Page loads fine for me in v12.
BUT only with my default NoScript blocking .js on github.com domain!
As soon as I set the github.com domain as "trusted" then I only get the blank-out.

Thanks for testing! :thumbup
Unfortunately, I don't use NoScript (is this the one you're using?), nor am I inclined to install it for the sake of just this site...
However, your input has been much appreciated :wub:; I think I've achieved a similar effect
by denying "scripting" on "docs.github.com" via uBO

RuUkQSZ.jpg

and, e.g., https://docs.github.com/en/rest/overview/api-previews loads now in 360EEv12 just fine :) !

uBO's logger shows that a total of 12 scripts are being blocked,

bTpzVtj.jpg

so my understanding is that one (or more) of them are incompatible with the JS engines of 360EEv11/v12 :( (but compatible with 360EEv13) ...