Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

2 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Does it DELETE and stay deleted if you do not start 360Chrome?

For me .. those 2 keys were deleted by Malwarebytes ADWCleaner without any issues and they dont reappear unless I start 360Chrome.

I do have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process\360chrome

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process\360chrome\DEBUG (with an entry named "Trace Level")

PS: My registry isn't locked neither ?

Edited by XPerceniol

1 hour ago, msfntor said:

My Registry is NOT locked, because I'm able to erase what I wish.

I'm not saying that the entire registry is locked.

I'm saying that the ONE KEY is locked - HKCU\Software\360chrome

Didn't you say you could not delete the ONE KEY - HKCU\Software\360chrome?

Edited by ArcticFoxie

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

For me .. those 2 keys were deleted by Malwarebytes ADWCleaner without any issues and they dont reappear unless I start 360Chrome.

I do have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process\360chrome

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process\360chrome\DEBUG (with an entry named "Trace Level")

I do not have any ESENT entries.

If that key is not deleting for you, right-click the key (I'm assuming you are using simple regedit to view registry) and select Permissions.

Make sure your user account has "permission" to delete that key.

You should have a checkmark under "Allow" for the "Full Control" permission.

If you don't have that "Full Control" -> "Allow" checkmark, then I can only assume that you have some sort of "security" software that has taken it upon itself to lock you out of deleting that registry key.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

On 7/24/2021 at 11:29 AM, ArcticFoxie said:

Has anyone figured out what .css entry/entries can be tweaked to fix this nuance?

I'm in v13 and I think this nuance exists in earlier versions also but not 100% sure on that.

When you are in settings and on the Advanced tab, open the Content settings dialog.

Take note of how everything is positioned on the Content settings dialog - particularly the header title.

Now open any of the Manage buttons.

Another dialog will open above the Content settings dialog.

But the header title of the Content settings dialog disappears and everything below it shifts up.

Watch the small portions of the Content settings dialong that are still visible along the left edge of the Manage dialog that is now on top, close the Manage dialog and you'll watch everything shift back down and the header title reappear.

Finally found a fix for this nuance!

Will be incorporated in my next set of uploads.

Updated links.

Apologies for so many updates in such a short amount of time, these should do for a while.

I also still need to apply latest rounds of updates to my v13 rebuild.

I've also been looking into XP x86 SP2 but that's more of a back-burner project at the moment.

I now have two "flavors" of each rebuild.

The "ungoogled" flavor takes the same route as "ungoogled chromium" ( https://chromium.woolyss.com/ ) and intentionally breaks a Chrome Web Store embedded API.

The advantage is that this prevents an unwanted Google cookie "local storage persistence" present in all Chromium-based browsers since Chrome v69 (which is what 360Chrome v11 is based off of).

The "disadvantage" (to some folks) is that this 'fix' removes the "Add to Chrome" button when visiting the Chrome Web Store.

For those not familiar, you don't have to use the Chrome Web Store in order to install extensions.  I personally download them from https://www.crx4chrome.com/ then save them locally, edit, then drag-and-drop into the chrome://extensions/ page.

There are also extensions available that will download the .crx directly from the Chrome Web Store as opposed to going through the "Add to Chrome" button.

Just offering some alternatives...

Download links -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbhhwmhl139clid/360ChromePortable_11.0.2031_rebuild_3.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6fhbaypj2q3i7y/360ChromePortable_11.0.2031_rebuild_3_ungoogled.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ifua74kkb35e2e/360ChromePortable_12.0.1247_rebuild_7.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvnnhqc4r812va5/360ChromePortable_12.0.1247_rebuild_7_ungoogled.zip

ps - The only difference between the two flavors is the "resources.pak" file.  If you wish to alternate back-and-forth between the two, that file is the only file that you need to swap.

Make sure to not criss-cross versions.  You can swap resources.pak betweeen v11 rebuild 3 and v11 rebuild 3 ungoogled, but you cannot use the v12 resources.pak with v11 and vice versa.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

12 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I'm not saying that the entire registry is locked.

I'm saying that the ONE KEY is locked - HKCU\Software\360chrome

Didn't you say you could not delete the ONE KEY - HKCU\Software\360chrome?

After restarting Windows today, I did 360Chrome search in the Registry:
first found under HKCU MUICache 12 keys,
then: under HKLM ESENT,
then: HKU MUICache 12 keys.

With 360Chrome build started,I got too, in the first place of research: HKCU\SOFTWARE\360Chrome key.
After closing 360Chrome build, NO MORE HKCU\SOFTWARE\360Chrome key. - this is the new behavior of my Registry today...

(found on the web: "Extensible Storage Engine (ESENT), the transacted database system that stores all Active Directory objects".)

After closing 360Chrome build, NO MORE HKCU\SOFTWARE\360Chrome key. - this is the new behavior of my Registry today...

That's a relief, that is how it is supposed to work  --  the key is present when 360Chrome is open, the key self-deletes when 360Chrome is closed.

This is true only when ran as "portable" (ie, using the "loader" exe and ini).

MUI is normal behavior, unless you jump through some hoops to prevent the OS's default "most used" tracking or clean them out regularly with third-party software.

I thought ESENT was related to anti-virus software, not sure.

I don't have any ESENT keys in my registry.

10 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

For those not familiar, you don't have to use the Chrome Web Store in order to install extensions.  I personally download them from https://www.crx4chrome.com/ then save them locally, edit, then drag-and-drop into the chrome://extensions/ page.

Yes, it's possible, but here, between my script defense (ScriptBlock) and my deny to google in uBlock, and my other defenses, I'm a bit bored to make all these clicks, to get the search results in the crx4chrome.com page...which lead to the cse.google search results page... google google everywhere...
It's much easier to find the extensions in Chrome Web Store. And to make it easier, there is a link at the bottom of the extensions list page in the browser. In addition there are comments (must read) on each extension in the Chrome Web Store ...

Personally I think, that deny Chrome Web Store download button is a bad idea, sorry...
Why then your reticence towards Chrome Web Store?

2 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I thought ESENT was related to anti-virus software, not sure.

I don't have any ESENT keys in my registry.

Anti-virus spelling: Eset...ESET... dont use this one, nor another, no anti-virus here since many many years.

Listen, today I can no longer see these ESENT keys in my Registry! ESENT keys are missing now in Registry!

Why???

Why then your reticence towards Chrome Web Store?

today I can no longer see these ESENT keys in my Registry! ESENT keys are missing now in Registry!

It's not against the Chrome Web Store.

I have a major problem with any web browser having a "delete cookies on exit" setting that Google builds in its own workaround.

If I tell the browser to delete cookies on exit and it does NOT delete a Google cookie, that is BAD!  Very, Very Bad!

I think the second issue is due to whatever was "locking" those keys yesterday that seems to have gone away on its own.

Personally I would prefer to have Chrome Web Store button before all, and google cookie if it must be here...

-----------------

Found ESENT now (before I must have been tired...), under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT

- with two subkeys: Global and Process.

Under Process subkey, have 360Chrome subkey, like XPerceniol wrote in the precedent post, and many browsers and other software from the present and the past, with DEBUG subkey always - so it's for debugging, apparently. Legit.

Personally I would prefer to have Chrome Web Store button before all, and google cookie if it must be here...

That's why I'm now providing two "flavors".

Not everybody is going to "like" an 'ungoogled' version - but it is a must for privacy-conscious users and is also why "ungoogled chromium" has a very large user base.

It's also why SRWare Iron had a very large following but I've stopped following it, unsure if still updated regularly.