Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

11 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

On the v13 build 2206 v3 progress - I'm opting to put this on the back burner for now.

@Humming Owl has taken some great strides in this thread - https://msfn.org/board/topic/182876-360-extreme-explorer-modified-version

His capabilities on the modification-front no longer relies on the Russian Repack on the telemetry side of things (which wasn't perfect but served as a decent starting point).

There are telemetries in the original dark theme (which my builds have always disabled and replaced with an XP theme) and @Humming Owl is digging into that before he can do a v13.

I'm kind of in a holding pattern circling the airport and awaiting my final descent.

ps - I do think @Humming Owl is leaning towards 2250 instead of 2206 or possibly leaning towards waiting for official v13 to be "final" (ie, the Chinese releases a v14).

So my goals are to reverse-engineer his v13 Modification Notes and possibly remain on 2206 - but like I say, kind of just circling the airport for now.

Hi everyone. See, this is what happens when I don't keep up, I fall behind and get overwhelmed. Actually, I'm a bit of a scatter brain anyway :)

so, if I get this right:

Everyone was/is pretty satisfied with 2206 v2 - you did say (I think) you were going to clean it up (polish) or something as such; but otherwise its where you want it? 

So bumping up the version (so to speak, of course) is on the back burner and your still on improving 2206 v2 - And this is considered to be your @ArcticFoxie 360 build?

People have been testing and are finding success with @Humming Owl 360 v11 build?

Sorry for all the questions. I've not been able to test much further as I've been unable to focus lately.

Will keep reading and soak up what I've missed ... ugh.

TY

Edited by XPerceniol

@Humming Owl has been able to successfully make modifications that I myself relied on the Russian Repack for those same modifications.

Basically, the Russian Repack removed 90% of the telemetry and my rebuild removed the other 10% but then focused on English grammatical errors and general cosmetics and skin-related nuances.

But the Russian Repack "broke" a few rendering issues that I was unaware of until testing Humming Owl's releases (Google Voice, for example).

It has been discovered that Humming Owl's modifications are "better" than the Russian Repack modifications so I will be releasing a 2206 v3 - but not until after I can reverse-engineer Humming Owl's v13-branch modifications.

I am unsure if Humming Owl plans to release a 2206 or if he will be doing 2250 instead.

So I need to wait for Humming Owl's v13 before I can then make modifications to that as my new "base".

13 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I saw registry changes being made in v12 that I didn't see with v11.

I should point out that v13 writes to the registry also - but it deletes those entries when the browser is closed so the "temporary" entries don't concern me as much as entries that remain as "permanent" even if "empty".

I am reverting my focus on releasing a v13 2206 v3.

I am optimistic on Humming Owl's releases but at the same time I have stumbled upon a few points of concern.

However, these points of concern are also present in the original Chinese that Humming Owl used as his base.

But they were "fixed" in the Russian Repack.

We all have our "feelings" toward Chinese Software and towards Russian Software, let's keep that bias out of the equation, it really serves no purpose as this community modifies and improves 360Chrome for a communal level of trust.

We should all agree that software development is an "evolutionary" process - we don't have "major", "minor", and "build" version numberings just for the sake of using the NumPad on our keyboard.

We have demonstrated that the Russian Repack did break a few things in v11 and v12 - but the "evolutionary" process has fixed those breaks in v13 (I cite Google Voice functionality specifically).

But I am seeing evidence that the Russian Repack seemingly fixed a few things that the Chinese missed.

The Russian Repack has a global following - with that comes a level of "checks and balances" in the "evolutionary" process of open source software development (just as Humming Owl and I both rely on feedback from other users).

To make a long story short ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCP2QQH4uuQ ), I kinda have the most trust in v13 build 2206 and the evolutionary process that got it to where it is (ie, v13 evolved from v12 which evolved from v11, etc).

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Looks like my first trial-attempt on Humming Owl's Modified v11 was somehow being effected by Chinese Official v12 registry strings.

I may still delay a v13 2206 v3 until after Humming Owl's Modified v13 becomes available.

edit: disregard, I'm putting the v13 2206 v3 rebuild back on the front burner after doing some more digging into the Modified v11 (reported separately).

Apologies for going back and forth, it's "evolutionary".

Edited by ArcticFoxie

v13 2206 v3 "GUI chopping block"

Settings Menu:
remove Login
Help -> About / Feedback Forums  => About

Settings (general)
remove Login

Settings - Basics
remove Show select and search bar - I see no changes with or without this selected
remove show recommended words - I see no changes with or without this selected
remove show address bar suggestions - I see no changes with or without this selected

Settings - UI Style
Location Bar -> convert Chinese copy paste helper to English

Settings - Tabs
replace Open hao.360.com with Open Google (see Humming Owl's notes)

Settings - Download
remove default utility - there is only one option and download utilities operate as extensions
remove use Thunder
remove open file after download - I see no changes with or without this selected, there is a button when starting download for this feature
remove show mini download task - I see no changes with or without this selected
remove ask where to download apk files - this is an Android feature and Android users do not need 360Chrome for XP
remove Save Images Quickly - I see no changes with or without this selected

Settings - Shortcuts
condense to 3 columns instead of 1 to prevent scroll on 1920x1080, test in 1024x768

Settings - Personal Data
remove 360 account login

Settings - Advanced
remove NoCoin - pops up a Chinese message box so never really enabled unless you click within that message box
Page Utility -> convert Chinese video tips to English
Background Apps -> to the best of my knowledge, the Join user experience option is broken whether this is checked or not, may remove from GUI

Settings - Lab
remove Enable Thunder download manager - I see no changes with or without this selected
Snap Plugin -> this only changes the toolbar, even when disabled this plugin is still accessible (Ctrl-Shift-X) - reviewing Humming Owl's modifications to fully disable

Settings - Adfilter
remove from options tabs, the built-in adfilter is broken once telemetry is fully removed

An updated v13 build 2206 browser_strings.xml for inside en_skin.srx  --  https://www.dropbox.com/s/hi6axeu2bovxsi6/browser_strings.xml

Nothing has been removed but entries are now in commented sections by group of where they are used in the GUI.

170 entries witnessed one-by-one within the GUI, commented and grouped by GUI-usage.

172 entries that are not used within the GUI because they are pulled from elsewhere, come from v9 but not used in v13, pertain to login/sync functions, pertain to Thunder download manager which is broken once telemetry is removed, etc have been commented out but remain in the .xml for reference.

In v13 at least, when you open any dialog box such as the Download Manager, the tooltips are buried behind the dialog (sometimes buried, sometimes on top, not alway consistent).

To witness, open the Download Manager and hover the mouse over the Close "X" in the upper right corner - you will see a portion of the tooltip peeking out from the side.

There is also a tooltip for the Minimize button but it's too far "inland" to peek out from the side.

I'm not finding a way to set a z-index for these tooltips so I plan on removing them completely in my upcoming v13 2206 v3.

edit: this may be due to a program I use to swap window locations across five monitors, keeping tooltips in as this could be just something on my system.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Hi

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

In v13 at least, when you open any dialog box such as the Download Manager, the tooltips are buried behind the dialog (sometimes buried, sometimes on top, not alway consistent).

To witness, open the Download Manager and hover the mouse over the Close "X" in the upper right corner - you will see a portion of the tooltip peeking out from the side.

There is also a tooltip for the Minimize button but it's too far "inland" to peek out from the side.

I'm not finding a way to set a z-index for these tooltips so I plan on removing them completely in my upcoming v13 2206 v3.

edit: this may be due to a program I use to swap window locations across five monitors, keeping tooltips in as this could be just something on my system.

I don't understand, I don't have this problem on V13 2206 V2 updated en_skin.srx  x86 xpsp2, the tooltips work fine and are always above the "X". and on the download dialog and I never got it behind and the same thing for minimise...

No problem here...:dubbio:

Edited by IXOYE

As a quick status update, I am targeting this weekend for a "rebuild #3" upload (v13 build 2206 rebuild 3).

I didn't techincally do this one as a modification of "rebuild #2" but rather as a complete redo from the ground up from experiences gained in rebuilding several other build versions (ie, when we were testing on XP x86 SP2).

I used portions of @Humming Owl's list of modifications and this has lead to a slightly different path (which may or may not be reverted, undecided at this point).

One such change completely removes the Avatar context menu.

There's two routes we can take with the Avatar context menu.

That menu is mainly used for logging into a 360 Account (which we intentionally remove all functionality thereof).

@Humming Owl's method to remove the 360 Account login function also completely removes this Avatar context menu, not just the 360 Account aspects but the entire context menu.

For now, I went with this route also - it is "easiest" (by far) and I never really use the Avatar context menu.

But there is an alternative route - we could keep the Avatar context menu, remove only the actual 360 Account aspects, and build that Avatar context menu into anything we want (links to History, Downloads, JavaScript console, Task Manager, link to MSFN 360Chrome general discussion thread, View page source, various chrome URLs, the list is endless).

I am actually leaning towards turning that Avatar context menu into a list of chrome URLs  --  for reference - https://www.ghacks.net/2012/09/04/list-of-chrome-urls-and-their-purpose/

Also as an FYI  --  UA-hints does not function (by default) in 360Chrome v13 build 2206.

The User-Agent Client Hints became available with Chromium 84 and was gradually enabled on Chrome Stable as each release became available.

In Chromium 84, it was disabled by default and you had to enable it with this flag  --  about://flags/#enable-experimental-web-platform-features

The feature was not enabled by default until the release of Chromium 89.

Reminder - 360Chrome v13 is based on Chromium 86 and is thusly disabled by default.

Below are screencap's from a test site that demonstrates if you have this feature enabled or not (I pulled the enabled via Chrome 92 from Win 7 VM).

The key section to look at is the "Subsequent Request" being empty after we sent an "Accept-CH" header.

And of course I shouldn't have to remind everyone that you are protected even further by only allowing white-listed javascript.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

On 7/21/2021 at 11:55 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

UA-hints does not function (by default) in 360Chrome v13 build 2206.

Well , maybe only in theory. But let's do some real checking . You say it's not enabled by default ? You trust Gugle docs/papers ? (I'm not calling you any names , like you said earlier , just to make clear !) . This is only a simple question . Again , do you trust them ? Please do the following :

Do not block java scripts (only for this test) , now change your UA to Firefox or any firefox-based browser , go here   https://html5test.com/ and the website will show that you're cheating !

It will say something like "You are using an unknown browser that imitates Firefox " . Where "unknown browser" would the real UA of our dear 360EE. And it is really unknown to the most websites ! How would you explain this ?

Edited by Dixel
missed one letter in "where"